Home General Discussion

Magicka

Replies

• Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Right then, have it your way. No jokes about dead people because it might offend the dead people or relatives of the dead people browsing polycount at this very instant. I will no longer have this sense of humor to comply with your view of the world and everyone should be the same and not be different.

You use the word hypocrite, fine. Don't laugh at anything ever again, because somewhere on the planet someone will be offended.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I thought the ad was kind of funny in a tasteless and immature sort of way, but I made the pictures so people would think about what is being made fun of.

I suspect a lot of people who are not from the US are not really that familiar with the war. I read a lot of comments saying they are making fun of the Battlefield series (which they clearly are, with the final image at least), but they are also making fun of dropping napalm on Vietnamese people.

The reason I think Vietnam isn't actually that funny isn't because people died, but because it was huge mistake. One we haven't seemed to have learned from.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    pretty tasteless, but so is the internet........

However, I support your righteous freedom to post insensitive crap on polycount....

I have however tagged Ninja as a loser for being so lame haha :P

Dont report him, flaaaaaame him :D
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Ninja poked fun at someone's tasteless satire? KILL HIM WITH FIRE! :D
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    satire of a satire? How tasteless!

Seriously, I thought the pictures were pretty funny considering what they're trying to make a point of. The whole point being that it's pretty tasteless and being thrown over the top.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Never the less, i just bought this game ;D
  • Sean VanGorder
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    If anything, those images work as a marketing ploy. Since they can be deemed as "insensitive", it causes people to talk about the game, and well, any publicity is good publicity. Its not unlike the No Russian level for MW2 or that "Your Mom will Hate this Game" commercial for Dead Space 2.

One can even go so far and use it as a metaphor for how the gaming industry today makes light of tragedies, as it can be seen as a clear satire of many other war-bases videos games.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Video games exploit wars and conflicts.

this is not new.

expansion looks fun.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sectaurs wrote: »
    Video games exploit wars and conflicts.

this is not new.

I like how in this game the racist undertones of most modern FPS games are made explicit, with the Vietcong replaced by sub-human goblins. It really gets to the root of why some people enjoy shooter games.

I imagine the Swedes who made this game live in a mono-culture in which they feel "racism" is some fuzzy abstract concept that doesn't have much to do with them, so I don't really blame them for making this. I think people who live and work around other cultures have less of an excuse.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In this first Magicka expansion, he sees the concept of wizards in Vietnam as inherently interesting -- being a good vehicle for comedy is a nice bonus. "Obviously, we have to focus purely on the fun aspects of the Vietnam War: rock music and cool explosions," Pilestedt assured. "The actual Vietnam War was a horrible war," so we probably shouldn't expect to see many mages writing home to grandma about the front line.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/magicka-vietnam-to-launch-in-about-a-month-arrowhead-ceo-says/
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCFtiO5j97M[/ame]

i'm aware this was posted already. but it's awesome. so it deserves to be posted again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like fun. I almost picked the game up when it released but then the bugs started rolling in and I put it off. I'll probably pick it up now.

Maybe they should of picked another way to spoof modern shooters... but it really doesn't bother me.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I got the game a couple days after release, and encountered zero bugs. Had a blast with it so far, though I haven't had much chance to play. It's funny that it feels more like a fighting game than a dungeon crawl. Definitely unique. The Vietnam thing is hilarious.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You should definitely pick it up, or even defiantly pick it up if the man is keeping you down.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Ninjas wrote: »
    I like how in this game the racist undertones of most modern FPS games are made explicit, with the Vietcong replaced by sub-human goblins. It really gets to the root of why some people enjoy shooter games.

I imagine the Swedes who made this game live in a mono-culture in which they feel "racism" is some fuzzy abstract concept that doesn't have much to do with them, so I don't really blame them for making this. I think people who live and work around other cultures have less of an excuse.

Hah, sweden is anything but monocultured.

But the important thing to remember here is that it is a parody on battlefield and only that.
    Murder and war is always a tragedy yet we recreate scenarios of it in just about all games, but we seperate reality from it.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You really have no idea of how wrong you are about that :P Racism is prevalent in Scandinavia. Sweden especially has been picked out as one of the worse places for it.

So I don't think it's about them not knowing what racism is, I think it's about them choosing not to mix race into this at all, they simply don't think so far ahead as to be pc about absolutely everything, heck maybe they believe the world is mature enough to realize nothing is so sacred it can't be humouring.

People looking for racism will find it anywhere they want to. People offering a over the top reaction to racism or just looking for it everywhere to cry and be offended is just as big a problem as people being racist, both parties keep it alive with their constant bickering.

I've had racist remarks thrown at me ever since I was a kid, it stopped once I realized that if I defended myself, I was actually supporting the idea that I was somehow a different race from others.

And seriously are you suggesting that people like shooters because they get to shoot foreign people? :|
    You're completely wrong, people like shooters because they get to shoot people ;)
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    Hah, sweden is anything but monocultured.

Looks very diverse-- they have Swedes AND (a very tiny percentage of) Finns:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Sweden#Sweden_census_2005
    But the important thing to remember here is that it is a parody on battlefield and only that.

It clearly has nothing to do with Vietnam.
    Skamberin wrote:
    And seriously are you suggesting that people like shooters because they get to shoot foreign people? :|

Yes, exactly. You should come here to Oklahoma :)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I'm out, I can't be mad or upset with Ninjas, or Magicka.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You gotta get out of there. I hear they also eat strangers that fall into their crudely made traps.

If the toothless locals don't gum you to death, then the next time the powers that be try to shake their little etch-a-sketch this is going to get ya.
    dust_bowl_1.jpg

I hear you can get 30-40 miles outside of town if you drive with your lights off in the dead of night! The next crescent moon is coming up, now is your chance!
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm literally 2 miles from Oklahoma, and sadly, he's correct. The southern US is very multicultural, we're just not very good at it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very diverse-- they have Swedes AND (a very tiny percentage of) Finns:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Sweden#Sweden_census_2005

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden#Immigration

I mean, I live here, I know what I'm talking about.

9.jpg
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden#Immigration

I mean, I live here, I know what I'm talking about.

If there's 67 000 Poles in Sweden then it's no wonder you are being racist! Ha!
  • Carl Brannstrom
    This is my first shipped title.

I've been working with Magicka since 2009. Done most of the characters and particle effects. Also done some levels, props, textures and various art assets.

It has been a lot of hard work and it's finally paying off. I've learnt quite a lot during this period and I'm still learning. Personally I didn't expect Magicka would turn out so popular. (I did not expect it would be brought up on the front page of PC either :p) I get happy when people enjoy something that I've been a part of developing.

A major reason why I've been able to do this is because of you guys here at Polycount! Always teaching me something new.

Thank you :)
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    This game is sooo cool so far! it gets quite hard really fast (died like 4 times already). It does get a bit buggy every now and then (on the space ship that is being attacked by pirate space ships), but the graphics of the magicks are sweet and the endless variability is great!
    i really like casting the "haste" combination as an AOE spell, it deals quite a bit of damage. :)
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how in this game the racist undertones of most modern FPS games are made explicit, with the Vietcong replaced by sub-human goblins. It really gets to the root of why some people enjoy shooter games

Yep. You're right.

They should totally replace those goblins with realistic looking vietnamese people so we can blow them to bits instead. Genius!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The goblins are racist!
  • Ride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    The goblins are racist!

Yeah they be hatin' on magicians. Aleister crowley is offended!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn this game is so hard single player :O.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Japhir wrote: »
    Damn this game is so hard single player :O.

Get War Staff->

Outdoors? spam qfasa-space
    Indoors? spam qfqfsaa

Though you need some real luck and timing in some sections since crossing beams with other magic casters is a real fast way to die.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey dfacto, i was in fact just now spamming thunder :). Didn't have a good indoors-alternative yet. I've been playing with Yazora, was fun :).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe the overtly racial undertones are part of both the artistic beauty AND humor of the idea?

If it manages to spark racial debate with subversive imagery AND elicit a chuckle i think it's vaulted into fine art territory pretty cleanly.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ha! seriously! I haven't played it but the whole 'don't cross the streams' might just make me buy it...
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Japhir wrote: »
    hey dfacto, i was in fact just now spamming thunder :). Didn't have a good indoors-alternative yet. I've been playing with Yazora, was fun :).

If you have trouble with certain enemies, try use a diffirent spell. Cold works well if you're surrounded. Also don't forget to use diffirent shields, barriers, auras etc.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    If you have trouble with certain enemies, try use a diffirent spell. Cold works well if you're surrounded. Also don't forget to use diffirent shields, barriers, auras etc.

True enough! I like popping thunder storm and protecting myself with a four stone (E DDDD)shield until it passes (keep another queued up if it hits you or you're toast on the next strike!). Arcane frost beams work well on large enemies after you get them wet. Rain is good for that, then freeze away! The dome shield is effective in keep most enemies away while you prepare some nasty spells. Also, a lightning nova (A SSSS) with four arcane takes out swarms of goblins. The arcane frost nova (S QR QR QR QR) is nice too.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played through the whole game with Yozora the other day, we finished it in like 6-7 hours or so :). (during two days)
    I preferred using steam steam electric arcane electric a lot, it makes a rather devastating beam :).