Home General Discussion

Superbawls

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone has their own opinion. This argument won't change that. Now Vig, go write some responses in tech talk that I can add to my bookmarks.

Also.

Dawwwwwwww
    kitten_friends.jpg
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    heh I agree, and one way to fix people is by challenging their ideas when they're eyeball deep in ignorant bliss...

Geez really?

Learn to live and let live. People are going to love their football, and you aren't going to change that. And why should you? Would you like people arguing the things and interests that you enjoy? Things like sports are just as important to society because they offer an escape, a way to relax at the end of a long day. People need things like that, and who are you to say that because someone doesn't share your views that they are "eyeball deep in ignorant bliss?" No need to get up on a soapbox when you aren't going to accomplish anything.

Besides, football season is over anyways. Lets talk some NBA.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Lets talk some NBA.

So how 'bout dem Cavs?

Hope Miami takes the championship this year just for the extra juicy stab in the heart.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Haha, really? I don't think I've ever seen you take anything lightly. That's probably why others took your 'joke' post so seriously. Anyway, if you spent more giving to charity than you did on entertainment, way to go - I think that's great.

MW: Black Ops pulled in two-thirds of a billion dollars in its first five days. That's a hundred million bucks more than the player salaries of the top four NFL team payrolls combined. Literally, just one week of sales from just one title handed Activision enough revenue to buy their own NFL franchise. And that's sales of a product that doesn't just encourage sedentary behavior but actually requires it - even football's fatties have to run and jump and tackle, but you have to plant your butt in front of TV if you want to enjoy Modern Warfare. What encourages poor health more, watching lardass Gilbert Brown glorified for playing football or a 12-hour weekend WoW raid-a-thon?

William 'Refrigerator' Perry is famous for his play for the 1985 Chicago Bears. That's also the year the NES debuted in North America. If I have to pick one form of entertainment that's been unhealthier for America since 1985, I'm not picking football.
    Yea I totally agree, which is why I never said football was the sole reason all of societies problems. It could be something that helps divert funds away from things that need fixing.

There are many factors and I was trying to shed light that football might not be the shinning cornerstone a lot of Americans make it out to be.

Our industry has a heavy hand in the expansion of the wasteline, but its not the only reason people are fat. We can talk about games and the health of gamers, but I'm pretty sure we both agree that moderation in all cases is key, probably even with football too...

Head injuries, heat stroke, broken bones, sprains, those aren't common injuries when playing games... Yea gamers need to play age approtrate games and get off their duff and exercise, but they're probably less likely to end up with traumatic brain injuries, concentration issues, stuttering and memory problems...
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/index.html
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Seattle was a crazy story this year, with the Seahawks being the first team in the post-merger era to have a losing record and still make the playoffs. And they didn't just make them, they beat the defending champion Saints in the first round - probably one of the biggest upsets in NFL history. The 7-9 record sucked, but Seattle fans can't be unhappy about making it to the divisional round of the NFC playoffs!
    It almost ruined their draft chances... just saying if there's a gray lining around a cloud leave it to a us to find it, heh.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    The weight thing is a non issue though Mark. No idea why you took off on that tangent.

NFL/NBA/NHL: Athletic
    Americans: fat

Sumo Wrestlers: Fat fucks
    Japanese: skinny

No real correlation between popular sporting events and waistline.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto wrote: »
    The weight thing is a non issue though Mark. No idea why you took off on that tangent.

NFL/NBA/NHL: Athletic
    Americans: fat

Sumo Wrestlers: Fat fucks
    Japanese: skinny

No real correlation between popular sporting events and waistline.
    EQ called fans of all sports fat, I said only in football can the fat fans be confused for the players. Meaning that in other popular sports athletes are "athletic" and being as fat as possible isn't a good thing. But in football it can be a big plus.

The ads the NFL runs, the sponsors that include the NFL are typically pushing shitty food choices. Walk into any supermarket last weekend and what do you see, a monument to chips soda and beer, all dresses up for the big game.

I was making a point that football players out of every other sport are encouraged to be as big as possible, be it fat or muscle it doesn't really matter, they're still an "athlete".

While that's heart warming that they find a place in their heart for the husky, they really aren't doing it to be kind they're doing it because they are disposable which is sad... The fans contribute to that behavior by watching it and the NFL encourages more people to set their sights on 'making it big' because they need more gristle for the gridiron.

The NBA does the same thing to its players, extremely tall people can suffer from all kinds of problems and not much is done to help them after their 15min is up. Thanks for ruining your health for us be sure to tell kids its their only way out of a shit hole!
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    dfacto wrote: »
    So how 'bout dem Cavs?

Hope Miami takes the championship this year just for the extra juicy stab in the heart.

Yeah. Here in Houston (home of lackluster teams) one of our sports radio stations slogans is "At least we're not Cleveland." Poor, poor Cavs.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Yea I totally agree, which is why I never said football was the sole reason all of societies problems. It could be something that helps divert funds away from things that need fixing.

There are many factors and I was trying to shed light that football might not be the shinning cornerstone a lot of Americans make it out to be.

Our industry has a heavy hand in the expansion of the wasteline, but its not the only reason people are fat. We can talk about games and the health of gamers, but I'm pretty sure we both agree that moderation in all cases is key, probably even with football too...

Head injuries, heat stroke, broken bones, sprains, those aren't common injuries when playing games... Yea gamers need to play age approtrate games and get off their duff and exercise, but they're probably less likely to end up with traumatic brain injuries, concentration issues, stuttering and memory problems...
    http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/f/football/head_injuries/index.html

You know, I agree that football in and of itself isn't healthy. People are just now starting to appreciate what an issue concussions are, and bone and joint trauma are commonplace for these guys. I just can't relate that to the larger populace because the rest of us aren't elite athletes. I mean, those guys are fatasses because they're well-paid by their employers to be so big - not healthy, no, but being a superfit quarterback who gets knocked unconscious is no good either. At this point, I think those guys are aware of the risks they take and choose to take them in exchange for a big payday. And if some average fan thinks it's okay for him to weigh 350 pounds because his favorite nose tackle does... well, Darwin's got a theory for people that dumb.

In general, I'm very averse to blaming potential influences for how people act. Yeah, there's some merit to it, but I don't want to see football blamed for people eating themselves to death any more than I want to see GTA blamed for carjackings. Free will and even a modicum of intelligence tell you that these are unwise courses of action. Influence has to be deliberately trying to encourage specific behavior (like old tobacco ads making smoking look cool) before I think it's a problem. The NFL isn't actively trying to make people fat, it's just that huge guys on the line help win games.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    It almost ruined their draft chances... just saying if there's a gray lining around a cloud leave it to a us to find it, heh.

Yeah, I was making a point about that the other day, that a deep playoff run would hurt Seattle more than it would help. Here in Cincinnati (woe be unto ye, Bengals fan), we've got a QB in Palmer who wants out. Seattle really needs a better QB, Pete Carroll is Palmer's old college coach, and Seattle having that lower first round pick might make for a good trade. At the least, Palmer is likely to be better the next two or three seasons than any QB Seattle can get way down at 24. Unfortunately, the Bengals suffer under the absolute worst ownership in the league and they refuse even to listen for offers for Palmer, even though he has threatened to retire rather than play here again. I'd personally love to see him go to Seattle, he might actually get to play in a decent scheme again...
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I just think we need to take care of business before we worry about entertainment. It seems like people are saying the world can go to hell as long as they have their Football?

So everyone should be miserable until all the world's problems are solved? People pay some of their hard earned money to entertain themselves on a weekend. I don't see that as a bad thing. And the owners of these stadiums/teams, tend to also contribute considerable amounts of money to charities... money that came from the ticket sales. Building those stadiums, also puts people to work, who may have otherwise been unemployed.

That said, I don't disagree that Americans tend to live in excess, but as a whole, they tend to share their wealth to help others. I know people still traveling to Haiti to provide assistance. And even yourself, donating to help a child.

Well, I was trying to avoid getting caught up in this, but I guess I was unsuccessful ;)