Home Technical Talk

Zbrush normal map help...

Hey,
I started using Zbrush a week ago its amazing but I'm having problems when normal mapping. I've sculpted a squid type creature that I'd like to rig and animate for a game. I've sorted the uvs but every normal map that I create in z brush is just flat blue.... I've also exported a low res mesh and a high res decimated mesh into maya in order to transfer the maps but the normal map seems completely off with seams all over the place...

Is there anything that I should be checking in Zbrush before I export? and is there a particular requirements for a base mesh?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

C

Replies

• 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Codex

Make sure that you've softened the edges under the Normals tab Normals>SoftenEdge. You need to have the edges selected for it to work. If that doesn't help your seems then first try selecting the entire mesh, combine and then select all of the verts and do a merge with a value of around .001 and try softening edges again. Your mesh may be broken up from the export. Zbrush does this for some reason, perhaps someone will know why. I've never used Zbrush to create the normals it's not the greatest. Try downloading XNormal it's a free program and it's pretty easy to use. I've had few problems getting a decent normal map from it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I've seen it create flat-blue maps when the UVs were touching the 0:1 border values. Try using Tool>Texture Map>New from UV Check. Any UV problems will be shown as red.