Home Technical Talk

3DCoat - Sandbox Tiling Engine

I came up with the idea for a device within 3DC that would give you the ability to use voxels to create a perfectly tiling normal map. It seems to me that Voxels would be perfectly suited for this kind of work. Andrew seemed to think it was a great idea but unfortunately it's not seen the light of day yet.

I started a thread here and have been posting my thoughts occasionally. Anyway if you think it's a useful idea and you have any further (theoretical or pragmatic) ideas/workflow enhancements perhaps you could post there.
I don't know about you guys but I'm fed up faffing around with dropping tools to the Zbrush canvas and fudging the normal map in ps to get it to work well.

I get the feeling that the louder people shout on the 3DC forums the more likely Andrew will listen, so the more support it's shown the better. Not to be unfair to the guy but there are a lot of voices over there.

Cheers.

Trello - Sandbox Tiler Link

Replies

• Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    yep very good idea. To me you should be able to see many tiles so you can adjust all the stuff having a good idea of the global result.

Tiling would be so useful in photoshop too instead of offset filter, but heh, i suppose developping a laggy openGL interface was more fun.
  • wailingmonkey
    yep, ghib...it's a great idear...hopefully more folks can stop by and 'compel' interest in it too! ;)
  • ghib
    Thanks for the replies (and again Wailingmonkey :))
    Noors wrote: »
    To me you should be able to see many tiles so you can adjust all the stuff having a good idea of the global result.
    Yeah I think being able to visualise how it will tile is essential and I just don't understand why this feature isn't in Photoshop yet either. Painter does it excellently.

Anyway I think it's ok to start drumming up interest again after 1 year, 6 months and 12 days since the 1st post. That's not really spamming is it?
  • Cathodeus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with you. I just sent a mail to mudbox team asking that feature (1 day ago).

This will allow game environement artist to use 3d sculpting software.
  • ghib
    Hey guys I just wanted to bump this idea again (yes even after all these years it's still not in) There's been some renewed interest in this tool recently and it's been added to Trello.

If you think this could be a useful tool to you (or even if you don't but think it's a good idea) Sign up to Trello and vote it up. There are so many requests in 3DCoat that it's difficult for ideas to float to the surface. I'm no longer an Environment artist in my day job but I would still think this is a useful tool for making any tiling textures.

Trello - Sandbox Tiler

It only takes a few mins to sign up but we could all end up with an extremely easy way to make tiling textures using Voxel Geometry.

Think about it Environment artist, how easy would it be to make a dry stone wall tiling texture using this tool?

cheers