Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winter Claws Character

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Me and a friend are designing a character with Dota/LoL in mind, with me doing the concepting and him eventually doing the modeling.

Shes a warrior/tank type character but I want her to maintain a sense of elegance and sleakness while being coupled with a totally over the top fuck off shield.

I will eventually end up with an illustration, model sheet and skill icons, so i'll update as I work my way through all those things! Any feedback/opinions are ace.

EDIT - Replaced all seperate images with a collage.

0124WinterClawsv1.jpg

Replies

• Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe make the stripes around her eye softer, or maybe have it repeat somewhere.

You know what, i'm not so much of eye decorations anymore, it seems to be the first spot to add some detail. Try some variations, maybe lowerneck/collar?!

Still nice work jack.
    There is something cute yet strong about her.
  • strayvert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this character so far. I think my favorite outfit would be the second and third one on the first outfit picture. She kind of looses her tankyness in the second outfit picture, more like a ninja.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I'm gonna have to disagree with Rens... I'm liking the strips around her eyes just fine. I WOULD suggest experimenting without them, with them looking different, or in a different spot, etc, though.

I may change my mind, but I like the very first of the clothing designs best. However, I strongly suggest lightening the bulk in her wraps around the face and torso. They feel so bulky, I think it takes away from the elegance you're going for. Something thinner that ties around her, maybe something a little more silky?, might be fun to try!

I'm also unsure I like the proportions of the shield in the bottom images. I feel like something that's either even bigger and taller than her, or something a fair bit shorter, but still relatively large, may work better. Having her height and the shield the same height takes away some of the interest in her design, I think.

Hope I'm not coming across as too nitpicky! :P I'm mostly bringing all these points up because I'm really enjoying this character so far, and really want to see you push her design all the way. Great stuff so far, gonna be following this thread! :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Been trying some more variations, still not really tinkered with tattoos and tribal markings as much as I want and im yet to try have her chest really exposed (where i can really abuse runes/marks and the like).

Gunna do 3 or so more before trying some things that are completely different, using more armor/thinner legs - give her a knight / paladin look.

Definately in favor with pushing the shield to be taller than her as that was the original idea - i want it to be really overbearing, with that said though, im gunna try it out as an ice shield and give her a lance or weapon as someone said the icearm is a bit bland.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    woo! ice all around 8-)
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    wee i dig the project man ^^

i really liked the 2 concepts with the verticle line thing going on. Also think a lance or proper weapon would read better as the ice arm thing seems kindof strange coupled with a huge ass shield (hope you get onto some cool shield designs too btw, more shield = more powah :P)

killer paints as always dude, hangin out for progress :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Fuck yeah, ice.

One of the key things me and my mate wanted to do with the character skills is to have the shield slow attackers with a mana drain kinda cost and to do that visually it'd be nice to encase a shield in ice. We thought about having her with a lance / summoned ice shield but I'm not sure how to make that spell thing visual then? Also theres the weight aspect that I want to emphasis... when shes wielding it / spell reflecting I want it to look badass when its being slammed into the ground n shit like that.

Still, i'll get onto shield basassery when i've got a design my mate likes! This is kinda heading in that direction. I'm whoring marty's workflow for the ortho as its simple and graphic.(http://www.martyisnothere.com/)

(<3 nizza, hopefully it ends up being awesome)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    On with the shield and illustration for her!

Shield is gunna be revised but i've got a good idea as to how to make it fit with her as a character (somewhat) although i could probably do with making it more manmade rather than taking it down the likely magical route.

dunno whether or not she looks too bottom heavy in the illustration or not, that or just a slightly small head - that i could attribute to perspective/foreshortening. Dunno, eitherway the backleg looks fine but the front one with the heavier armor looks a bit too heavy.

5412443515_5abc6b028c_b.jpg

5411374652_0b55a67032_b.jpg

5450159257_35e32701cf_b.jpg

5456928167_95cbda4219_b.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH too good !! I Love it!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    this is shaping up to be a really fun piece. keep it up.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers people - calling the illustration done at this point although i'll probably still end up going back and tinkering with shit if i see something that bugs me.

Still gotta sort out the skill icons and rough out some animations for those.

Excuse the massive size figured id leave it large so theres more details on show~

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/814247/0225WinterClawsv1.jpg

0225WintersClawv2.jpg
  • makecg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really cool man everytime i see this i think monsterhunter...its a good thing.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I was really inspired by the Monster Hunter designs when doing the details in the final illustration, i used little elements like bootstraps and double belt from monster hunter to add in that touch of feasability, i'm so clueless when it comes to attaching things to a person. Id have liked to have gone with something closer to my original bottom right concept but alls well that ends ok.

Monster hunter has some of the most... legit and awesome armor designs, theyre so well thought out and plausible, thinking about it now i realise theres still things like necklaces, crystals and cloth i wanted to add to her... Guess ill go back and tinker in a few days haha.

Thanks a bunch! <3

Small gif with all the various images i saved out;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/814247/WinterClawsSteps.gif
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yeahh!!! I'm really loving the illustration! :) Good job, man! It's great to see something so finished and rendered by you! ^^
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers mezz, its so rare to see me finish something like this... i think i like playing with ideas more than producing finished pictures like this haha D:

Made some super minor changes like more tattoos on her arm, made her hand bigger and added a necklace.

<3
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I missed this thread while I was moving. Looks great! When do you think your friend will get around to doing the model?