Home Technical Talk

How would I make the structure of a large spaceship inside and out?

So I just started modeling and I'm learning fast. I can make simple stuff like sofas, lamps, fans, ect.
But now I want to make something that will be the main part of my map and I'm just having trouble figuring how people make large stuff like this.

I'm trying to make a 100 meter spaceship from the inside and out. Is stuff like this made out of simple meshes and then copy pasted in the engine like UDK? Or would I make the whole floor plan in 3ds max and extrude the walls?

And say if I could go outside of it. Would the outside of the spaceship be the same object so then everything has to fit good inside the hull. Or would I make that a different object that is not even next to the spaceship and just use some teleportation to go from the inside and out?
I'm pretty sure that is how Angels Fall First: Planetstorm does it. It doesn't really feel like the same object when you go outside of the spaceship.

So I guess the main thing I'm wondering is if you make the thing in a 3d program like 3ds max or if you design it all in an engine like UDK from some smaller meshes.

Replies

• Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, i hope im not too late on this.
    If i understand your question correctly you want to know the best method for constructing a spaceships exterior / exterior that can be seamlessly linked?

Star Wars galaxies does something similar.

I would defiantly use modular pieces for this set up especially for the interior, althought the exterior i think can go both ways have one main exterior mesh to hold your modular interior pieces in, or you can make the exterior modular as well but i think that will become a little too tedious, check polycount's wiki for tutorials on modularity.

If this is going into a game you could also make use of occluder meshes so when inside the ship it wont render exterior models unless you are looking though a window of sorts and vise versa.

Hope i answered the right question here :P