Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook : xenaxis - Critics are welcome !

Hi all !

I'm starting a sketchbook here in order to improve since i rarely get constructive critics in other webs.

17d26bb1aab2722fe00cd6198b3d4.jpg

Thanks a lot !

Replies

• Lyper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty darn good!
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lyper > thanks a lot! but i need to improve !

*up*

here is something i've done last week.
    7/8h on it. mechanical pencil on paper

00d4ed2ea63a7c3dba5cc9dc01925.jpg
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    glad you posted xenaxis. You've got some nice work with the pencil, and there's nothing really wrong with what you've got posted-- it's nice and clean, and the lines read well. What I would say is that I'd like to see more directional lighting applied as well as original content overall. To elaborate on the latter point, you've got the rendering expertise to do some really great characters and creatures, the problem is just that I feel as though I've seen all that you've drawn here before. On the demon-y side of things if you're not familiar with Wayne Barlowe then you should check him out. His renditions of Hell are unparalleled, especially when it comes to the various demons.

another thing I would say is that sometimes it can be hard to get crits in the sketchbook threads since they don't see nearly as much traffic as pimping and previews-- definitely keep posting here, but I've looked at your finished work and you should get some good attention if you post your bigger projects in p&p. Another thing I would recommend is chipping in on the concept tag thread. There's not a lot in terms of crits but it's a great way to hone your craft in creative ways.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    awesome paintings. i like them really much! i'm impressed how you get these good contrasts! when i try this, my pics will darker an darker and then i have a black spot. what kind of pencil do you use (which hardness)?
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wake > Wow, thanks a lot ! I didn't know Wayne Barlowe, very inspiring and immersive paintings!
    In fact i did the "demon" creature after seeing the Aaron Sims company portfolio (the sketches part). I'm amazed by the way those people create textures and values.
    Working the lighting is what I'm currently working on, I mean to put a character in a place and play with lights/ color.
    Thanks a lot for your advices, i'll focus on that from now on :). (and post in p&p xD)

SimonT > thanks a lot! I use a mechanical pencil 0.7 with HB hardness (pentel trend). To have contrast i crosshatch, but the tips is to have light areas next to very dark ones. I think that working metal render with pencil really help to do that !!

So right now, as i said before, i'm trying to improve in lighting/colouring/painting so i'm working on that :
    416fb060dbe1e8991aa12537f4ae3.jpg
  • xenaxis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for my lack of update but i'm kinda busy atm. Hope i'll have more time for personal project after this week end !!!

So here is a character (still WIP) i did last week-end. I still need to highlight the mask and put more contrast on the clothes. He's one of many characters i have in mind for a small project i want to test via unity.

f-Demon_Biker_web4d83d60300099f85.jpg

And here is something i did last month, i plan to do it in 3D, with handpainted textures too :

f-220211_woment4d83d65400099f86.jpg

Cheers!