Home Technical Talk

zbrush mesh question.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
One of z brushes base meshes that ive customized has this annoying "hole" where you can add in teeth gums and whatnot behind the main mesh. I dont want this. is there a way to "close" the hole?

thanks. I would google this myself but I dont know how to search for it.

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I am not sure there is a way inside Zbrush other than re-topologizing or re-meshing, and you don't want to do that, re-topologizing will take forever and re-meshing will destroy your line-flow....unify will destroy your construction levels.

GoZ is probably what you want, you can export the low-poly into Maya or Modo, 3ds Max, and then delete unneeded faces close the "hole" and when you GoZ back to Zbrush if everything works out the high-poly detail will remain with the exception of any new faces and the hole geometry.

iirc it comes standard in Zbrush4 http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/GoZBrush/
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well retopo will only take a few mins if you use your existing base to fix the hole.
    'or' best to quickly export it to max, fix the hole, reimport and let zbrush automatically reproject.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Actually if you're really lazy there's a "Close Hole" button in the Geometry tab of the Tool menu, only works on objects with no sub-div history (which you can always reproject if you want).
    But yeah doing it manually with GoZ will probably give you a cleaner result, but knowing the Close Hole button can be useful at times for quick fixes.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Re-Topologizing may not be the only option. I would drop the mesh down to the possible lowest sub division and export it as obj. Import it to any other 3d modeling tool and fill the hole.

Its better to have that sort of work flow to make sure that you wont screw it up.

Oh if you dont have any 3d modeling tool. Try blender, its free.

PS: Its a good practice to create the basemesh out of zsphare structure and then export it as OBJ to have it modify the easier way. I am still learning though.