Home General Discussion

UDK COMING TO iOS this Thursday!!!

Replies

• Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    So employers could download the app, and it would have the work of the creator on, which would be updated regularly via the app updating.

So each dev would have their own portfolio app, which would be free.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. It wouldn't be a generic app for loading models. It would be a custom app, crafted with UDK and specifically designed to hold the work of the artist making it. Basically, each artist could use UDK to construct their own iPhone App to use as a portfolio.

Now, someone could probably create a UDK template project for this, but I imagine most artists would want to put their own custom touches on it.

Also, this could lead to some really sweet Machinima on the iPhone.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    A valid point, to be sure.
    I suspect the thinking is that a lot of more quality teams will be more interested in developing for iOS devices now that the UDK is being made available. The Unreal Engine has been a standard in the mod scene for several years. But most mod teams who had grown used to using it probably wouldn't have been interested in developing for iOS devices. (since they would have to cut back on model and shader complexity) Having the UDK available for iOS could draw in more of that crowd...

This is a really good point, since unreal engine is so widespread in the console market, more of those studios will (due to being very used to the engine) might take to the new opening for higher quality games on the ios platform.
  • Tom Ellis
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    anyone downloaded this Dec UDK release? I have now x2 and burnt thru 2gb of bandwidth all for nothing, 2nd time its said its corrupt.... anyone else had this? :/ I have got the other old ones no problem! Win7x64
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't have any problems, sorry man :X