Home General Discussion

we found THEM!!

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Are you asking here seriously, on a game art forum ?

Well I'll go with the short answer: Aliens are cool god is not. Ahahah.

*cough* Thor *cough*
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Stinger88 wrote: »

I prefer to "Suspect" aliens exist because my feeble mind can only just grasp simple physics and chemistry. God might well exist but I need him to come and tell me he exist in person first.

Guess I'll jump into this thread. Just wanted to expand on this point a bit. Lifeforms on other planets have somewhat come and told us they can exist, as shown by the harsh conditions lifeforms can grow in on Earth. It's at the very least possible that lifeforms could form like this on other planets with similar conditions.

That's all I'll point out about that for the moment so this thread doesn't diverge into a full on Aliens vs. God thread.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    So does anyone know what its about yet? Surely wikileaks or something has info.
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Slum wrote: »
    So does anyone know what its about yet? Surely wikileaks or something has info.

It has nothing to do with extraterrestrial life. That was confirmed by someone who has seen the report. Don't have the link.

It's probably something that's only interesting to science nerds.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I was amped this morning, made sure I was up before 8am (2pm EST) to watch the live feed. But oh wait... I'm from the future and it's still the 1st in the US. Stupid future!
    Let's do this again tomorrow.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with extraterrestrial life. That was confirmed by someone who has seen the report. Don't have the link.

It's probably something that's only interesting to science nerds.

Maybe this?

“I’m 90 per cent certain that Felisa has found something in Mona Lake and they have been able to demonstrate in some way that it uses arsenic in its metabolism rather than be poisoned by it.”
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I was amped this morning, made sure I was up before 8am (2pm EST) to watch the live feed. But oh wait... I'm from the future and it's still the 1st in the US. Stupid future!
    Let's do this again tomorrow.

hahah for some reason I did the same thing :P

Gotta wait till tmr!
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hold on, hold on.
    since when was sending voyager into the delta quadrant the cause of the borg?
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    i love emil.
    he's from the future.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    I feel a long overdue marathon coming on

xfiles.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    rooster wrote: »
    hold on, hold on.
    I think they'll explain that tomorrow at 2pm est.
  • Ben Apuna
    ^ In other words: Get ready to be assimilated!

For all us unemployed artists out there, I guess we don't need to worry about getting hired anymore...
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    I just wan't to chime in as Pro Thor and Pro Alien. Do you think there will be alien brides?

I just hope they're blue and hot. Imagine our disappointment if we find another alien race out there that looks 100% like us... that would just be lame.
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    when did this thread go from a discussion about alien life and intelligence to science and religion?
  • kaze369
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I just hope they're blue and hot. Imagine our disappointment if we find another alien race out there that looks 100% like us... that would just be lame.

it would also be f**king weird and crazy as hell.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know how weird it would be to be honest. After hearing Tyson describe how we're basically made almost entirely of Hydrogen, Oxygen and Carbon, which are the 1st, 2nd and 4th most common things in the universe, it sorta gets you thinking. If it's so damn common then it's also highly likely to happen more than once.

Maybe Roddenberry had it right? We'll see in time I guess.
  • BeatKitano
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    I would say asari, but still it depends who created them, most of them have ugly faces...
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    rooster wrote: »
    hold on, hold on.

Wha? No. It was from First Contact. After they blew up the borg some remains landed in the Artic. In Enterprise this was found and it was still active. The people were assimilated and then it went back to the delta quadrant. The time it would get there it was stated was about the same time Picard first encountered them.

There is some Geek knowledge for ya. Wasting my brain cells.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK, honestly, all those questions are meaningless. There's only one question that has any kind of relevance: Hot or Not?

If they're hot I care, if not I don't.
  • Mark Dygert
    DKK wrote: »
    Ok what if it's a race of electro magnetic eels that like float using an electromagnetic field their body generates, and they're mostly peaceful, but they don't like having their electro magnetism stolen, but one of them can power a car to hover, or power a whole city block forever, except also they will give you scholarly life coaching and also fix magnetic issues that arise, but they want one human a week to be sacrificed to their god who they call the great eel-ectrocutioner

Do you Save them? or Enslave them?
    C: Upon touching down on our planet their electromagnetism reverses our poles, wiping out everything on the planet, except for them. Before they leave, they scribble a hallmark "we're sorry we screwed up your planet, give us a call when you get back on your feet in a few million years"
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
  • Bigjohn
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    oXYnary wrote: »
    It was from First Contact. After they blew up the borg some remains landed in the Artic. In Enterprise this was found and it was still active. The people were assimilated and then it went back to the delta quadrant. The time it would get there it was stated was about the same time Picard first encountered them.

There's another possibility of origin, stemming from the original movie and some of Roddenberry's own books.

In the original film, the V'ger craft they encountered specified it was originally a smaller NASA Voyager probe. It was augmented by a race of machines, to evolve. In V'ger's quest to evolve, grow and be with it's creator (humans), it melded with two federation officers into a new species. In Roddenberry's book, V'ger stated that one of the officer's "clones" was resisting it's programming and that "resistance is futile, of course". Coincidence? A cyborg lifeform with a continuing thirst to evolve sound a lot like the Borg, to me.

/nerd off
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    aesir wrote: »
    Dyson spheres all up in this galaxy!

Hahaha, yep, or crazy gigantic mirror-like being floating just out beyond the solar system.

Maybe we can meet some puppeteers! :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    eels, squids, jellyfish, lampreys, etc... are all "Earthlings" so I'd hazard to guess thatany aliens would have to be wildly different than us - not just a humanoid roach or a floating squid monster.
  • Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Vig wrote: »
    C: Upon touching down on our planet their electromagnetism reverses our poles, wiping out everything on the planet, except for them. Before they leave, they scribble a hallmark "we're sorry we screwed up your planet, give us a call when you get back on your feet in a few million years"

Poles switching happens every now and then.

http://www.physics.org/facts/frog-magnetic-field.asp

I wonder if Polar bears and Penguins have to move house. I can imagine them passing on the equator giving each other a nod and a wave whilst they drag their luggage and screaming kids along.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    There's another possibility of origin, stemming from the original movie and some of Roddenberry's own books.

In the original film, the V'ger craft they encountered specified it was originally a smaller NASA Voyager probe. It was augmented by a race of machines, to evolve. In V'ger's quest to evolve, grow and be with it's creator (humans), it melded with two federation officers into a new species. In Roddenberry's book, V'ger stated that one of the officer's "clones" was resisting it's programming and that "resistance is futile, of course". Coincidence? A cyborg lifeform with a continuing thirst to evolve sound a lot like the Borg, to me.

/nerd off

Nah. Because it was stated in Voyager that the Borg had been around for a very long time. Also as well again Enterprise took place before First Contact and Star Trek The Motion Picture timeline wise. The Borg in that were already heading for an established Borg in the Delta quadrant.

Also the Borg came about in the Next Generation were actually supposed to be an invasion of those aliens whom were introduced in the episode "Conspiracy". They later decided to go with Borg instead as the idea for the invasion.
    Collector's Edition of Star Trek: First Contact, Michael Okuda revealed that Star Trek: The Next Generation writers began to develop the idea of the Borg as early as the first season episode, "Conspiracy", which introduced a coercive, symbiotic life form that took over key Federation personnel. It was thwarted by the Enterprise crew and presumably never heard of again (the 'alien conspiracy' plotline itself was scrapped when it became clear that the concept was too grim for Star Trek's target audience).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_%28Star_Trek%29
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    drake's equation.

there's at least 200 billion stars in each galaxy. and there¨'s 180 billion galaxies in the universe. saying that there isn't another civilization like ours in the universe, or even our own galaxy, is ludicrous. there IS intelligent life out there, we just haven't found it yet.
  • Arac
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    The news is out:

Apparently they found a new form of life on earth which has arsenicum as one of it's basic building blocks.
  • Japhir
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Where can I see the vid? I missed it.
  • Mark Dygert
    dejawolf wrote: »
    drake's equation.

there's at least 200 billion stars in each galaxy. and there¨'s 180 billion galaxies in the universe. saying that there isn't another civilization like ours in the universe, or even our own galaxy, is ludicrous. there IS intelligent life out there, we just haven't found it yet.
    Might want to re-think billions, shoot a little higher like "trillions of earths could be orbiting 300 sextillion stars".
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/12/01/131730552/-trillions-of-earths-could-be-orbiting-300-sextillion-stars
    Japhir wrote: »
    Where can I see the vid? I missed it.
    I don't think its been officially released yet, not until 2pm est.
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Tyler wrote: »
    It's not a case of what a scientist has said.

As far as I'm concerned. Religion has nothing to do with this, i disregard religion anyway. For they are the people that tortured you if you said the world wasn't flat a few hundred years ago. Now they insist hell is at the core of the earth. Give me a break.

What? First, if you're talking about Catholics (they're the ones that imprisoned Galileo for saying the Earth went around the sun), the Church has never said that 'hell' is at the center of the planet.

Second... a few hundred years ago? So what? A few centuries ago, the British were capturing Africans and shipping them across the ocean to be slaves in America. That's more recent than Galileo. Just a few decades ago, the Germans were putting people in ovens and trying to take over the world. I don't see anyone holding a major grudge against those nations, but the Church is still catching hell over stuff that happened even further back in time.

Considering all of the heinous shit that's happened in the world just in living memory, even still happening now, there needs to be a statute of limitations for holding a grudge. Whether you agree with their religion or not, the modern Catholic church is pretty open-minded with regards to science and the like.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Arac wrote: »
    The news is out:

Apparently they found a new form of life on earth which has arsenicum as one of it's basic building blocks.

link?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life

The finding is about arsenic-based life that was found in Mona Lake. Everyone said it was impossible. I've been saying for fucking years that it wasn't. Just because most of earth's life forms are carbon-based doesn't mean every life form has to be! A creature could be silicon or hydrogen based for all we know. I can't believe how arrogant astro-biologists are sometimes. It's like saying for life to exist there has to be water, which has always bugged the shit out of me. Just like life forms can be based on other elements, they may in fact not require water to function.

This is just another reason why I say it's impossible for there to be no other life in the universe.
  • TheMadArtist
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    dont the Catholics still condem the use of contraception, allowing the spread of aids, and other std's in the poorest, most unfortunate countries in the world?

No. The pope has recently said it's okay to use condoms to prevent the spread of STDs. Made me laugh.
    Anyway back on subject.

We've already posted what it's about.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    "no Religion has helped science forward for a long while, if not hundreds of years."

yeah, it usually after the fact...and usually its only to save the church from looking like a bunch of igits.
    And there should always be accountability for any establishment...especially those that go out of their way to suppress science, art , and philosophy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    No. The pope has recently said it's okay to use condoms to prevent the spread of STDs. Made me laugh.

...if you're a prostitute!
  • Firebert
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    don't forget about 2pm bitches
    2pm-2pm-9352401-1280-800.jpg
  • ZacD
  • Mark Dygert
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Slavery. Nazis.
    Its easier to call an issue closed after horrifically violent wars and a decade or two of social upheaval. Slavery, yea we've dealt with that, turned that page and while it still happens and there are bigoted moron in the world we've had that discussion and had closure.

The Germany of then is not the Germany of now. Again that discussion (WW2) had closure. I think you just evoked Godwin's Law there...

The roles of region and science is still being debated. We haven't turned that page and probably never will. The persecution and suppression of science has never really had any closer. The church has never really apologized for past transgressions against science that I know of. They have only turned down their methods over the years while steadfastly thumbing their noses at science. Of course science sees fit to do the same.

The church has gone from we'll boil your ass you heretic to, ok we'll put you under house arrest (Galileo) to like I said before they wait a really long time, then release a non-committal statement that seems to the outside world to admit to physical reality but actually changes nothing internally.

The fact that the church has fractured in the past (Martin Luther, The Church of England ect...) due to inflexibility and resistance to modern physical realities, is proof that they're slower than snails racing backwards up a hill when it comes to change and even slower still when it comes to accepting what science offers.

I will give them credit, it took 400 years for them to tone down their distaste for science enough that they don't seem to be obstructing it any longer, at least not in any heavy handed authoritarian way.

Imagine the advancements we could of had in that time if they had moved to this position 400 years ago... Maybe if we resolved the religious obstructions to science at the same pace we resolved the other two issues (a matter of decades instead of centuries), maybe this press conference would actually be about something truly amazing?

It's all speculation and I'm not saying the church is out burning witches or scientists but when something gets held back that long by one group... with no closure, you have to see where the frustration comes from?
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    not being able to mention the german's history in Germany, without being sent to prison?

lol what? xD
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    The steps science must take in order to reach a reasonable conclusion: life can evolve on en ecosystem different than planet earth. Duh.
  • Rapante
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    You mean like not being able to mention the german's history in Germany, without being sent to prison?

if thought mentioning german history is parading with a SS uniform, a swatiska flag and screaming "Heil Hitler" in a german street he is probably right, other than that we Germans are allowed to talk about what happened ;)
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Reflecting our past is part of our schoolsystem, part of documentaries which air pretty much the whole year. I'm not sure if there is any country that so obsessively reflects its past like germany does it.

If you mean that it is forbidden to run around in SS uniforms, with a swatiska armband, then you are right thats forbidden, shouting out nazi propaganda as well, rising your right arm in the same context as back in the nazi times also.
    There are a lot of things forbidden in this regard but only when you glorify those times, symbolics, ideologies - beeing against it and saying that in public totally isn't.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    After reading that little article it makes me wish I'd posted
    my original thoughts on the "aliens" topic:

The trouble with the search for extra terrestrial life is that we're not looking for life, we're looking for humans from another planet.

So yeah. Bacterium on earth who's elemental building blocks are alien to our own, but allows it to survive in an area we, and things like us, can't. Awesome, but not really surprising.

Oh also other websites are calling the "leaked" story false. :shrug:
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Wait. I come here looking for aliens, and I get religion and Nazis?

Vailias - Alien life as in life from not here is still interesting, but I think a large part of exploration is about finding a planet on which humans can live... y'know for when we've screwed this one up.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    shotgun wrote: »
    The steps science must take in order to reach a reasonable conclusion: life can evolve on en ecosystem different than planet earth. Duh.

I think it's in the complexity of how life works. Everyone can imagine not being able to imagine how life would work, but for someone who understands how carbonebased life works, it's probaly way more complex.
    Vailias wrote: »
    The trouble with the search for extra terrestrial life is that we're not looking for life, we're looking for humans from another planet. :

I think people just want to find something more than just space-bacteria, but even that would be pretty awesome., and even better, finding life which does things that we could not imagine, and learn from that.

NASA are smart enough to look for signs of life in any kind of form though.
  • rebb
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Ehh i'm probably wrong. Though for some reason i remember being told that if you mention the Nazi / Hilter situation over there, your not treated in the kindest fashion. Obviously whoever told me that had it wrong :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xnNhzgcWTk[/ame]
  • Jungsik
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    WHERE ARE YOU GUYS WATCHING THIS? :O!