Home Technical Talk

3ds Max tool for expediting model export to Valve Source Engine

Replies

• S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I don't use the models origin for center. I have a bone for the rotate animation i also have a idle bone it the middle of the scene that the rest of the mesh is rigged to. I noticed that the rotating bone gets offset and i don't have any of the offset options on. And when i link the rotating bone to the idle bone it rotates in game, but since the bone is offset everything moves in the wrong way.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
    S_ource wrote: »
    I don't use the models origin for center. I have a bone for the rotate animation i also have a idle bone it the middle of the scene that the rest of the mesh is rigged to. I noticed that the rotating bone gets offset and i don't have any of the offset options on. And when i link the rotating bone to the idle bone it rotates in game, but since the bone is offset everything moves in the wrong way.
    One very common problem with the built-in smd exporter is that any mesh in the model must always have its Xform reset... and sometimes even the root bone too (which usually turns it on it's side and forces you to rotate it back into position).

I will look into it this weekend after I finish another update I'm working on. It is not impossible that I've broken something with bones. Feel free to send me a sample scene where the problem manifests as it will help me solve it more quickly.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resetting the xform on the bones worked. But it seem like you cant collapse the stack without making the object into a mesh. But i turned on export non renderebel meshes as bones so now its works fine.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Resetting the xform on the bones worked. But it seem like you cant collapse the stack without making the object into a mesh. But i turned on export non renderebel meshes as bones so now its works fine.
    Well it looks like you figured that out :) I was going to suggest just that.

I have some new updates for the SMD exporter but I probably won't get those out until tomorrow night or Sunday.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, one thing that i don't quite understand is the lod settings what does the detail% change? Is it the distance of when it would be seen? i would rather like to just be able to type the distance you want the lod to change instead. :) Thanks for your help btw.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great, one thing that i don't quite understand is the lod settings what does the detail% change? Is it the distance of when it would be seen? i would rather like to just be able to type the distance you want the lod to change instead. :) Thanks for your help btw.
    At the moment, you don't type a distance... you drag the ditance helpers to the desired distance. I may add a type-in control at some point.

Incidentally, I did update WW today. You can now export models with normals controlled with explicit normals, etc (from an Edit Normals modifier or from a model brought in from Maya). I had loaded that a few days ago but today's makes it run faster. You must choose the normal method in the WW UI--either face render normals or explicit normals.

See changelog for all updates.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wall Worm turned 2 years old last week. To celebrate I loaded a new version today along with a new video. This video details creating a basic physics prop in Max... then a more advanced prop with custom gibs (a feature I should have demonstrated a long time ago... but I'm not the best at keeping up with myself on the docs... :P )

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kKYMbF5dTk"]Physics Props in 3ds Max - YouTube[/ame]

Docs and sample file for the video are here: http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/28/prop_data_and_custom_gibs.html

For all the updates in today's release, see the changelog.

Enjoy.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bunch of new updates in last couple weeks.

This week updates:

Version 1.879 released on 12-5-2012
    • VMF: Fixed error when exporting a scene with a Sunlight object.
    • VMT: Updated $phong export logic. Now the Phong export will happen even if there is no Specular Color map but the specular color slot is enabled. In that event, a $phongexponent of 5 is used... edit the VMT directly to modify that value.
    • VMT: Updated the $phong export logic which was failing if a non-standard plugin changed the available Shader Types from the default list in a Standard Material (for example, if you have Ornatrix installed and have extra Shader Types).
    • WWMT: Added new buttons into the Model & Basic QC rollout: QC - Open QC file of current model in Notepad; Dir - Open final MDL output folder for current model; Mdlsrc - Open QC/SMD folder for current model; VMT Dir - Open folder where VMTs for current model export to; RAW - Open folder for where the RAW TGA files for current model get copied to.
    • WWMT: Fixed broken Compression control for VTF files. For a while now, the VTF exporter was only using dxt3 regardless of the compression setting.
    Version 1.878 released on 12-1-2012
    • WWMT: Updated logic for $automass / $mass. Previously, there were times when $automass was used when the user had set $mass.
    • WWMT: Updated $collisionjoints to never get applied to root (un-parented) bones.
    • WWMT: Updated $collisionjoints to include logic for free and fixed as well as limit.
    • WWMT: Added the Damping value per bone in $collisionjoints.
    • WWMT: Added support for per bone $jointmassbias. No UI for this yet. To give a bone a $jointmassbias, select the bone (or object used as a bone), right click it and choos Object Properties. Then choose the User Defined Tab and add a line like this: wwmt_jointmassbias = X (where X is the value of the bias).
    • Anvil: Added Undo support to many functions: Create Displacements, Sew, Convert Planes and Edit Mode. Note that undoing the Edit Mode Completion is still incomplete. I also notice that if you choose "Select" from the Max Undo List after running many Displacement-related functions, you can crash Max (I think Max is trying to reselect deleted nodes... but I haven't been able to figure out how to purge such Select commands from the undo list). Just be aware of this.
    #################

Also, added a new example file and updated the ragdoll docs to reflect latest updates listed above. In the ragdoll docs are two example files (the second one is more robust) showing how some ragdolls can be created and controlled with 3ds IK controls. (I will try to share an example file soon to show how to set up a model with $jigglebones, which is a related topic linked from that page too).

I also recently added preliminary support for CAT rigs. I haven't had a lot of time to test the results but would like to get some testers who regularly use CAT and Source to provide feedback. The basic instructions on using CAT and WWMT are currently here.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First, I want to comment on the last post... the support for CAT/biped is far from ready in WW. I kept running into problems when trying to add support. So as of right now, do not use CAT/Biped with WWMT.

Next, I wanted to thank Corey Nguyen from Facepunch for donating his SMD Import script. You can now import SMDs into 3ds Max 2013 using Wall Worm (it is in the Wall Worm > Wall Worm Importers menu). I have not fully tested the importer with animated models, but will look into it and extend it when I have time. But at least those of you who commonly import SMDs into Max, you should be happy (it wasn't something I'd ever done until testing the importer... so it was never a priority of mine).

Finally, I loaded several other updates to WW in the last few weeks. Here are a few of the additions:
    • Bone Tool that lets you visually create hitboxes for bones and set per-bone massbiass, jointsurfaceprop, more.
    • SMD Exporter fixes/tweaks. Among tweaks, increased speeds for exporting skinned meshes (a skinned mesh with thousands of tris could take minutes to hours because of sloppy code... that is now all fixed).
    • VMT writer now properly exports $color2 for models having a material with no diffuse bitmap.
    • Enhanced VMF Exporter options.
    • New Problem checker in Utilities that helps detect general problems (like not having a required 3ds Max service pack, that WWMT is out-of-date, global ww setting conflicts) as well as things like models in the scene that haven't been exported/compiled into the game folders, etc.
    • A lot more...
    See the full changelog for more details.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you can now finally use Wall Worm to export CAT and Biped rigs from 3ds Max into Source.

For a list of all the other random goodness, see the changelog.

And enjoy :)