Home Technical Talk

3ds Max tool for expediting model export to Valve Source Engine

Replies

• shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
    WWMT News. Since I have been having a hard time keeping up on the forums where I've been posting news on WWMT, I started a forum devoted to the tools I'm working on. It's at www.wallworm.net . It's still mostly empty but it will be where I post most updates on WWMT from here on out.

Version 0.993 released on 02-19-2011

•Fixed bug where Model Folder Path and Material Folder Path were not being saved if set by the Default path functions added in 0.992.
    •Fixed quirk where Default Model Path and Default Material Path in Settings did not take effect until after WWMT was restarted. Now it takes effect immediately.
    •Fixed Export Fail notice when Model Path or Material Path were not set... the error was inappropriately saying that you needed to set a Sequence Name as well.

Version 0.992 released on 02-16-2011

I had expected to release no more updates until Jed's new SMD Exporter is out... but as I've been recording videos of using the current version... I decided there was a step I could cut out... setting defaults for model path and material path for new models. Saves some typing.

•Added Default Model Path in settings floater. Optional setting that will prefill the Model Path of new models... which can be good if you are working on multiple models that reside in the same path.
    •Added Default Material Path in settings floater. Optional setting that will prefill the Material Path of new models... which can be good if you are working on multiple models that reside in the same path.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not going to overwhelm you with a wall of text... but WWMT is updated again. Key new features:

* Support for multiple skins
    * Prop Data and Gibs Rollout
    * Custom Gobs support and one-pass gibs compiling
    * Various other tweaks/fixes... see the changelog
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Until yesterday, I did not know that Left 4 Dead works differently than other Source games for compiling models and textures. I had to add a new setting for the directory to the gameinfo.txt in the settings floater.

That update is now available; WWMT now supports L4D--please make sure to set the Game Info Dir in the settings tool.

This version also has some UI updates that aren't represented in the docs.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shawnolson wrote: »
    This happens when the output folder doesn't exist. In this case, the path C:/Programs Files <x86>\Steam\steamapps\eli_roberto\team fortress 2\tf\materials/custom_hats/square_hat/square_hat does not exist at compile time... there are a few solutions:
    1. Make sure that path exists before running the exporter.
    2. Run 3ds as Administrator (might solve it)
    3. Run the batch file as administrator.
    #1 is the best solution.

Just to clarify for everyone, you'll need to create two (2) sets of folders for your models in the file system. The first is in the SDK ... set the target materials and models folders. The second is the matching folder paths in the game's final materials and models folders.

I suggest that you make a folder (or set of folders) that your model projects share so that you don't have to create the paths all too often. I personally would make the material paths in the tool something like custom_hats/square_hats (or in this case custom_hats/eli_roberto ) and always use that path in your own custom hat projects... that way you would have a common repositiory for your work, avoid namespace problems, and dont' have to continuously make folders when you make a new model.

I hope this makes sense. I'll expand the docs sometime soon.

Hi Shawn!

Firs of all, I would like to thank you for this amazing program!

I'm trying to export the textures from my tf2 item, but Wall Worm imports only a tga and a .bat file. I've followed your recomentations and the problem still happening. The models were successfully imported.
    where I'm making the mistake?

I'm using 3d max 2009 and here are my settings:

Model Root: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshot\team fortress 2\tf\models

Materials Root: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshot\team fortress 2\tf\materials

Bin Dir: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshot\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin

Model folder path: my_projects/dead_eye
    Material folder path: my_projects/dead_eye

compiling_error.jpg
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manuca wrote: »
    Hi Shawn!
    Firs of all, I would like to thank you for this amazing program!

Thank You :)
    here are my settings:

Model Root: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshot\team fortress 2\tf\models

Materials Root: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshot\team fortress 2\tf\materials

The problem is that you chose the game model and material folders... but you need to choose the SDK modelsrc and materialsrc for TF2...

They should be in a location like these for you:

Model Root: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshot\sourcesdk_content\tf\modelsrc

Materials Root: C:/Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\jesusshotsourcesdk_content\tf\materialsrc
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Shawn! but It happened the same problem whith the textures! (it exported the tga and .vat) and now with the model root configured in, ...sourcesdk_content\ tf\modelsrc, it exported only a qc, smd and .bat
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Shawn! but It happened the same problem whith the textures! (it exported the tga and .vat) and now with the model root configured in, ...sourcesdk_content\ tf\modelsrc, it exported only a qc, smd and .bat
    Did you update the directory of the Material Root as well?

It may be that you do not have TF2 Selected in the Source SDK Window. Launch Source SDK and make sure that the Engine is Source Engine 2009 and TF2 is set as the current game.

Also, does the folder materialsrc exist inside your tf folder?

You may also get help from this thread.
  • Manuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It worked! Thank you Shawn! You made my life happier :)
    Now I can open my model In Model Viewer.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a new version out today: Version 1.01. The main fix is catching a MAXScript error if you try to run the VTF exporter when there are non-TGAs in the model materials. here's the full changelog.
  • Perfectblue
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update:

Version 1.1 released 04-05-2011
    • Fixed the Use Local Origin as Origin function.
    • Moved Use Local Origin as Origin and Alt Origin checkboxes from Lighting & Miscellaneous rollout to Model & Basic QC rollout.
    • Fixed the output of $illumposition to accurate position. Previous versions only worked if model's pivot point (local origin) was located at the world origin [0,0,0].
    • Fixed $masscenter to output to correct position. Previous versions only worked if model's pivot point (local origin) was located at the world origin [0,0,0].
    • Fixed MAXScript error that happened when you deleted a $illumposition helper and then tried to export the model and/or add another $illumposition helper.
    • Fixed MAXScript error that happened when you deleted a $masscenter helper and then tried to export the model and/or add another $masscenter helper.
    • Changed name of "Sky" scale button to "1/16" and added another one for "1/32" for L4D.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started using this a few hours ago and I have to say thanks!

I ran into a few frustrating bits and pieces:
    New layers created with nothing inside of them? I'm not sure if its ok to remove those layers or not, it would be nice to get rid of them.

Spline text added to the scene? I'm not sure why this is there? is its needed by the script or can I remove it? Personally I don't like it, its too big, maybe there is a setting to turn it off hide it on its own layer or adjust its size?

Renaming a mesh that has previously been exported causes the script to cash, removing all the bits and pieces Wallworm tosses in there (text, dummy & layer) allows me to start fresh. Seems like the script should be able to deal with that?

It tells me to get a export plug-in wunderboy 1.6 that isn't out yet, thanks for telling me that have access to it... The models don't automatically compile after that, I'm not sure if its a path I don't have set up correctly, that error or something else, so I compile it myself using GUIStudiomdl. Its annoying to have that error pop up every time.

Seems a little disjointed in the setup of paths. Buttons for some that don't display the path fully edit boxes for other paths in another section. Maybe just one section for paths and they all use the same UI scheme? Possibly something like what Valve did in hammer would be familiar to people using this tool?
    ValveConfig.jpg
    See the path, see an example and have an option to edit/browse to the path would be helpful.

EDIT: Ok I switched up some paths and now it seems to be compiling models automatically and exporting VMT/VTF's which takes are of some of these problems and underscores the need for more clear path instructions...
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started using this a few hours ago and I have to say thanks!

I ran into a few frustrating bits and pieces...

Mark,

Thanks for the feedback. You aren't the first to have confusion on the setup. Part of the issue is that I do this as a side-project and have limited time that I can devote to it; I'm often torn between building/enhancing the tool, making the things I made this tool to make, and documenting the tool for others... not to mention time for the family and my real job.

I did make a new video today for the setup and configuration process:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH44DPxy3r0[/ame]

As for the layers... you can turn those off by unchecking the "Make and Use Layers" in the Settings floater. It is safe to delete the layers in a scene already made; new ones won't have the layers if that option is unchecked.

The Text/Spline is integral to the tool... as it is the Helper that stores all info for the model between sessions; think of it like any other helper you might have for many other Max tools. You are safe to resize it... just not deleting it if you want to re-acquire the model settings later.

The renaming dilemma ... that is something that I've known about but haven't had time to address. I will certainly add a fix to it at some point.

Also, the notice about Wunderboy's 1.6 SMD exporter is premature. I've been testing the new version which will be out soon and added that the notice so people would go get it... At the moment it's just an extra notice to ignore... but when his new version is public you will want it as it is needed for some features (like the export non-renderable mesh as bone... which will finally allow you to use CAT rigs).

Anyway... I appreciate the feedback and will take it all into consideration :)
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PS. When making that new video I found the problem of the Default Material Path using the default model path... I had missed it since I usually make them match. Anyway... there is a version 1.2 up that fixes that.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great News! Wunderboy released SMD Exporter 1.6 today. It adds some additional features that are used by WWMT. One major new feature is that you no longer have to make any folders writable to properly use WWMT to export SMDs in batch mode.

Also, there is a bug fix for WWMT v1.21 (you could cause the Generate LODs to generate improperly if the Max Selection Lock was turned on when you pressed the button). The latest version of WWMT fixes that problem.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.4 is out with several productivity enhancements:
    • Enhanced the $bodygroup feature to allow multiple $bodygroups. This update changes the way $bodygroups are set... so you will have to relink them according to the new docs if you have already set some up since version 1.3. Video of $bodygroup method below...
    • Renamed Texture Utilities Rollout to Utilities.
    • Added Quick WWMT button to create WWMT helpers for all selected objects in the scene.
    • Added Quick Compile button to export all selected WWMTs (and compile them if the auto compile is set in the tool settings).
    • Added All Textures button to compile textures for all selected WWMT helpers.
    • Updated the UI to let you choose a new WWMT with the Pick Model button even if there is already a WWMT filled into the UI. The UI will update for the new WWMT.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Qq5v65s6s[/ame]
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.41 released 05-09-2011
    • Added more settings to the Quick WWMT tools in the Utilities Tab. You can now pre-assign most of the checkboxes from the Basic Model & QC and Collision Model & Physics rollouts to the Quick WWMT Selections.
    • Added Clear From Sel button in Utilities Rollout that will remove all WWMT data and helpers from the selection.
    • Updated the Pick Model function to properly clear every possible setting in the UI to the defaults if there is already a WWMT object filling the UI when a new WWMT helper is selected. The 1.4 addition of this feature sometimes left values in the UI if the first model had a property assigned that is, by default, undefined in the WWMT Struct and the second model did not have a value set.
    • Caught some more possible exceptions (fringe cases that have been reported and due to pressing some buttons after scene objects have been deleted).
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.45 released 05-24-2011

• Added Material Library Generator . Please make sure to read these docs to understand it.
    • Added Quick Properties (buttons next to properties in Quick WWMT section) to set all selected WWMT helpers to the associated value.
    • Updated code to utilize objects that have Bone On turned on so that they can be used in ragdoll exports without a Skin Modifier. (Sorry this is cryptic... but I'll explain when I have time...).

UI for the Material Generator:
    material_library_generator.png

Updated UI for the Utilities:
    utilities_rollout.png

The Material Generator is one of the new buttons in the Utilities Rollout. Also... the new little arrows let yet set properties en mass with WWMT helpers in the scene.

The VTA buttons in the Utilities Rollout are not yet available. I am working on adding VTA support to the exporter... but didn't have time with this update.

I'll be out of town for a week... so I'll be slow to respond to any questions.

PS. I've also added a new page on the Docs to explain in detail everything you could possibly need to know about configuring the paths correctly to use WWMT.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New docs page on using the Quick Hull Feature in WWMT... which isn't available to the public yet... but it's a feature that people (including me) have wanted for a long time. It's now working but waiting for the next version of Convexity to be released.

Here's a demonstration.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj5p-oWAXDA[/ame]

Special thanks to Michael Little of Maple3D who has been so kind to build the function and allow me to integrate it into WWMT.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A new version out that fixes a couple minor bugs and adds a convenience setting in the Settings Floater: You can now save multiple model/material paths in your list of default paths.

Here's the changelog.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    are there any plans to geth this great stuff to maya ?
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader wrote: »
    are there any plans to geth this great stuff to maya ?
    That's unlikely. I don't own Maya and I have no experience in Maya. I had the PLE version for some time... but I could never get myself to like it. Since I build WWMT in my spare time as a free project for everyone... there really isn't much logic for me to buy Maya, take the time to learn it deeply and then work at converting WWMT.

I have toyed with the idea of converting some of it for Gmax users since Gmax uses MAXScript. But I'm sure there are a bunch of functions I used that can't be called in Gmax ... so even that is unlikely.

It's just a lot of work with no real pay off for me.

I do know that there is some Maya plugin called Prall's SMD Exporter which is linked in the WWMT FAQ page. I don't know what versions of Maya it supports, nor exactly what features it provides. You may want to look into that.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.58 is out today.

Adds option in settings to allow/disallow over-writing target QC.
    Fixes incorrect rotation of model when using Use Local Origin

There have been other changes/additions since my last post here. See the Changelog.

I've also added a few new utilities:

* Worm Face - Hammer-like texture application to lift/dump from faces
    * Rad Worm - Generate map-specific lights.rad file from scene materials that are self-illuminated
    * Soundscaper - Generates skeleton soundscape file for level from soundscape entities in level

Feedback is always helpful.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.74 is out. Added more Proxy functions (that were added in the displacement tool recently--now you can make them from WWMT UI in Utilities Rollout). Also added a skin collector... to collect the skins from all your proxies of a model.
    Also added a RES File utility to make RES Files from the scene... makes a RES file for all WWMT models, their materials and for world materials (if using Convexity). Did this because PakRat doesn't seem to work anymore (at least I can't get it to collect materials anymore) and it makes it easer during developement so you don't have to package everything everytime you want your group of testers to test new things--they don't have to constantly download large packed maps each iteration.

RES maker is in the menu after update if you go to WW Configuration floater and click Add To Menu. Note it does not account for things external to the scene (script files, text files, waves, etc).

Also... for anyone who missed the "anniversary post" ... WWMT turned a year old a couple weeks back. Here is a new video I made to demonstrate some of the latest developments with the tool (and an introduction to the new WWMT Proxies).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6AQSp8Cfe0&quot;]WWMT Anniversary Edition - Version 1.73 - YouTube[/ame]
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant to share this a week or two back... I added some docs to go along with the VTA functions in WWMT. WWMT now gives you a head start on your facial animations in Source by automating many of the QC/flexfile/vta steps, including the automation of adding keyframes to your morpher channels.

Here are the updated docs on exporting the facial animations. If you saw them previously... I just updated them this morning to include info on how it creates flexcontrollers.

morpher_qci.png
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a truly brilliant tool, took me a little while to go through all the docs and get it installed but it was a very painless process.

massive thanks!

one thing i noticed, after a couple of exports of a diffuse texture, it stopped overwriting the vtf, i had to grab vtfedit and forcibly update the texture. if this anything you've noticed, have i done something that might cause this?

cheers again!
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D wrote: »
    this is a truly brilliant tool...massive thanks!

You are welcome!
    one thing i noticed, after a couple of exports of a diffuse texture, it stopped overwriting the vtf, i had to grab vtfedit and forcibly update the texture. if this anything you've noticed, have i done something that might cause this?

That is not a problem that is your fault. The problem is that, as far as I know, VTEX (Valve's texture compiler) won't overwrite an existing VTF. Unless there is some undocumented VTEX parameter that I haven't discovered, it is the normal behavior of compiling Valve textures. If my memory serves, I always had the same problem in the past when I used to drag TGAs to a shortcut to vtex.exe (long before I built this tool).

As an explanation:

WWMT copies your TGAs into the SDK material path. It also creates a batch file that runs Valve's VTEX.EXE. It is VTEX that generates the actual VTFs in your mod's game materials folders. WWMT doesn't ever actual touch the game's materials and models... just SDK content.

Solution:

When I am working on materials and textures... I open Windows explorer and go to the outpur directory of the materials I'm working on. Whenever I need to recompile a texture... I delete the VTFs and VMTs I am about to recompile.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I figured that was the issue too, I even deleted the VTF and VMT and no luck. I figure it was just a random quirk, I haven't restarted my pc for a while, nor since installing a bunch of stuff for the SDK.

Thanks for the prompt replyt. And thanks again for the tool, it really is such a beautiful thing to have, I remember 3 or 4 years ago hand writing qc's, copying shit around, making batch files, oh my god the workflow.. this really is worth paying money for ;)
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I figured that was the issue too, I even deleted the VTF and VMT and no luck. I figure it was just a random quirk, I haven't restarted my pc for a while, nor since installing a bunch of stuff for the SDK.

Just to clear things up... there is a separate export button for the Model and the Textures. So clicking the export model button does not export/re-export textures... it's a separate function.

I kept them divided since they are often different phases.

However... if you change the material on your model (changing the name of the diffuse map, for example) and re-export the model... you will have to run the VTF exporter again since the model will be using a different material.

I'm assuming you already understand that, but just sharing some hints in case it is helpful.

Also, just to clarify... there is an option in the main settings dialog (not the WWMT UI) called Overwrite QC. If that option is not checked... none of the changes you make to your model's WWMT parameters will get updated on export--just the SMDs/VTAs. So if you find that changes in the WWMT UI are not taking effect, you should be aware of that. I always keep the Overwrite QC option on... but I added the option to turn it off because some users requested it.

I have it on my TODO list to bring the docs all up-to-date and explain many of the tools, functions and options that aren't yet documented... but that takes time that isn't always easy to find.
    And thanks again for the tool, it really is such a beautiful thing to have, I remember 3 or 4 years ago hand writing qc's, copying shit around, making batch files, oh my god the workflow.. this really is worth paying money for ;)

Well there is a donate link on the docs site and at the bottom of the WWMT UI that anyone is welcome to share appreciation with. I never expect any donations but gladly accept them :)
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I figured out the issue - I have a "working" folder, which ISN'T the sourcesdk_content/etc fodler. So I resaved my updated texture, which updates in 3dsmax, but WWMT doesn't re-export the TGA into the materialsrc folder that the source compiler tools are reading from.

Of course this could be remedied by simply using the materialsrc folder as my working folder. Although sometimes this isn't always viable for various reason, maybe the tool could forcibly re-export the TGA's from max each time you choose to export to vtf?
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I figured out the issue - I have a "working" folder, which ISN'T the sourcesdk_content/etc fodler. So I resaved my updated texture, which updates in 3dsmax, but WWMT doesn't re-export the TGA into the materialsrc folder that the source compiler tools are reading from.

Of course this could be remedied by simply using the materialsrc folder as my working folder. Although sometimes this isn't always viable for various reason, maybe the tool could forcibly re-export the TGA's from max each time you choose to export to vtf?
    You should be able to use any directory for the TGAs applied to the materials inside Max... so I will have to look at the code and see if something is amiss. I have been known to break things from time-to-time :P

PS. Thank you very much for your generous donation! I greatly appreciate it! Such considerations soften the criticism from the Missus concerning time spent in front of the computer :D
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Version 1.769 released on 3-3-2012
    • Fixed texture exporting bug in VMF Exporter. Now the VMF Exporter version number is 1.22.
    Version 1.768 released on 3-3-2012

* Updated VMF Exporter to version 1.21. Now exports correct UVW (texture translation, scale and rotation on brush geometry).
    • Added Prop Type controller in Anvil. You can change the prop-type of a WWMT helper in Anvil with this... and if you set a prop to prop_dynamic or prop_physics, you can then manipulate the I/O of those entities in the Entity Outputs UI.
    • Updated default displacement material to accomodate updated material handling functions. Because of this update, displacements with materials created in older versions of Anvil (and Anvil's predecessor the Wall Worm Displacement Tool) must get new materials applied to properly export the UVW data.
    • Updated the Material Library Generator to accomodate newer implementations of Materials. Materials generated with older versions will not properly export with the VMF exporter. You should update your material libraries with the updated generator.
    • Updated the VTF exporter to make Refract Shader materials if there is a bitmap in the Refract slot of your standard material or the refract slot has a color_correction texture applied. When used, the Bump/Normal map becomes the $normalbump of the refract shader.
    • Added Image File List (.IFL) bitmap support to the VTF Exporter. The images in the IFL must be named with the correct format (so if the IFL file is named myimage.ifl then all the images in the IFL must be named like myimage001.tga, etc and must start at 0). Note that the WWMT SMD Exporter is currently the only exporter that will translate this into your model at the moment. The upcoming version of Wunderboy's SMD Exporter will probably also support this. This feature allows you to add animated textures to your models. NOTE: you must manually add the correct Proxy block to your VMT for this texture to make the animation work; also, the VTF/VMT will be named with a trailing "0" in your materialsrc and mod materials folder.
    • Added a compression setting for exporting VTFs. You can now use the following settings : default, DXT5 and nocompress.
    • Fixed a VTF export UI bug that was listing a WWMT Auto Material for models and adding a texturegroup block to QC files even when there were not multiple skins assigned.
    • Moved the location of install.ms into the root WallWorm.com folder.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick... in one of the recent updates I fixed this problem. There was actually a logic error in the script that was causing this... and I had ignored it because I assumed your problem was related to the rationale mentioned above. I looked into it more when, after a recent Steam update, it appears VTEX now has permission to create folders (which it never did in the past for me but now seems to be able to).

Also, I wanted to share with the WW users a new video on using the WW hull tools to create collision hulls more quickly. This video gives an in-depth explanation on using both the Quick Hull (now active) and the Hull Helper functions in WW.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJFGdehrUgE&quot;]Collision Hulls 101 - YouTube[/ame]

Also... even though I shared it in another thread... for those who missed it, the VMF exporter in WW is now fully operational; here is a video sharing an overview of the VMF exporter.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veJB3Y9Edag&quot;]VMF Exporter - YouTube[/ame]
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh my god... D:

This is...just amazing.

/insert a truckload of cookies, internets, and other worthfull objects here
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    does that new vmf export feature mean it no longer needs convexity for exporting bsp?
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    does that new vmf export feature mean it no longer needs convexity for exporting bsp?
    Yes, it does mean Convexity isn't necessary for exporting anymore. However, I still recommend Convexity for its wide array of design tools. A few key features in Convexity are for editing Entity Properties, Loading a Lin file (for detecting leaks) and the Wall Side View Editor (which is one of my favorite things).

The VMF Exporter inside WW is pretty nifty, though. I've added functions to select all the compile options (for bsp, vis, rad) with drop-down menus, global lighting settings and the ability to PAK all the assets into the BSP automatically when you compile. Here is the newest UI:

22_vmf_exporter_v_1_53.jpg

Incidentally, I updated WW today.

Here is the latest changelog.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Very awesome looking tool. Do you know if it works with CS:GO?
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very awesome looking tool. Do you know if it works with CS:GO?
    Yes, it works with CS:GO. I just downloaded the GO SDK this morning and have already exported dozens of models and textures.

My auto-config functions do not work with GO... so there are a few things you have to do manually for the settings.

Create these folders:
    • C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\materialsrc
    • C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\modelsrc
    Set both of those paths to their respective paths in the WW settings.

More settings:

mapsrc:
    C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\sdk_content\maps

Game Info Dir:
    C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo

For the BIN Dir:
    C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin

If you want any of the Entity I/O tools, you need to add this FGD:

C: \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\bin\csgo.fgd *

* If you have COnvexity and want to use the Convexity Entity Tools, you'll need to copy csgo.fgd into a new directory and replace the line for @include "base.fgd" with the actual contents of base.fgd . If you do that, you should probably use the same file for both Convexity and Wall Worm.

#################################

I have not yet done extensive testing... but it looks like (initially) that the $origin command is no longer working in the QC. If that turns out to be true, it means I have to update some WW functions to make the output work correctly for models designed away from the world origin. I will look into it more. Incidentally, I think this same problem is in SFM.

[EDIT / ADDED NOTE]

I have tested it and yes the $origin command is simply ignored in this SDK or is being interpretted much differently. I have come up with a solution inside the SMD Exporter inside Wall Worm. It will not work, however, if using the Wunderboy SMD Exporter or Cannonfodder Exporter.... but I will send emails to them to see if they can add features for accomodating the fix... but both are becoming harder to reach. So this fix will only work for the built-in WW SMD Exporter for the foreseeable future.

I will release that update today or tomorrow after I've had a chance to test it more.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Dude, you are AWESOME.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've gotten most of the update finished but probably won't have time to finish it and test today. One problem is that the change effects how prop orientations are calculated in the VMF exporter... and while I've gotten it working as I expect... there are things I have not tested (like what happens in the VMF exporter when using the other SMD exporters for models... so I need to see what my changes have done.)

Also, the updates I'm working on are less forgiving about models who need the XForm reset... (like if you move a model's pivot point). Because I don't want to deal with a dozen emails about this... I want to have some docs on this change before I release it. Maybe this weekend... certainly by next week the updates to the SMD Exporter and VMF Exporter will properly accomodate CS:Go and SFM.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK... I've updated WW to accomodate CS:GO and SFM (as well as some other updates). I'm a little annoyed that the $origin command stopped working in the later Source compilers... but at least I've found ways to accomodate it inside the built-in WW SMD Exporter. The main issue is models designed away from the world origin and using the WW setting Use Local Origin as World Origin... which is mainly for those (like me) who build props and game levels all in one setting.

If you are just making models to send to Hammer, it's not really that big of a deal. But if you need/want this functionality, you must change the global ww setting to use the WW SMD Exporter.

I also added some other updates like a new Material property translating to the VMT now: the Reflection Amount will now turn into the $envmapmaskscale (the amount in Max is divided by 100 to equal the Source scale).

Other tweaks, additions.

http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/33/wwmt_changelog.html
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loaded some more updates today for the SMD exporter. The update I released a couple days ago was found to have problems with bone orientation. I think this is all addressed in latest update. Please let me know if you have any problems.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's hard to believe I've been working on this tool for two years now... whew...

Anyway, I loaded an update today that fixes a bug in the material exporter (if the material had the reflaction checkbox on but no map... now it works either way).

Also update the displacement tool. It now works a lot better. Unfortunately, one of the things causing some errors in previous versions was a code error that really makes those displacements need to be remade with the updated WW. This is especially for displacements that, when exported, were not sewn in game despite appearing sewn in Max.

Part of the update fixes the Selected Faces to Displacements function (which now works on rectangular quads... next update might see non-rectangular quad support).

I've also finally got the brush/displacement UVW coordinates working properly. They still don't account for Bitmap node W_Angle... but I hope to entice my good friend Andrew Penry into helping flesh that out too (chicken wings and beer, it appears, is a universally valid bribing combo...). Andrew helped me tremendously with getting the VMF UVW where they are now ... which took about a year for us (mostly him) to get. Thanks Andrew!

There are also some new MACRoscripts for level design funcs (adding objects as world geometry, func detail and sky objects).

I'll try to make a vid in the next week or two detailing a bunch of the functions (including the 3d skybox tools which I'm not sure many people understand yet since I haven't gotten around to documenting them).

Enjoy.

http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/33/wwmt_changelog.html
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you for continuing to support Source modding!
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing wrote: »
    Thank you for continuing to support Source modding!
    You're welcome :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome tool that do all the boring work. Thanks. One problem i have is that i'm trying to compile a animated prop but it does not take the rotation of the bone only the movement.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource wrote: »
    Awesome tool that do all the boring work. Thanks. One problem i have is that i'm trying to compile a animated prop but it does not take the rotation of the bone only the movement.
    It is possible that I've broken something recently. If you are using the Use Local Origin as World Origin option, try experimenting with the Lock Origin State. Also, the first node you pick controls the root positions/orientations... so if the animation is controlled by a bone, try using the bone as the initial object in the WWMT helper (so pick the bone instead of the mesh when creating the helper) then add the mesh with the Add buttons. Then re-export.

I will look into it tomorrow.

Incidentally, I did load an update to WW this morning. It adds new options for the vertex normals to use faceRNormals or explicit normals. The second option is experimental and isn't fully functional... but is my first steps into adding support for the Edit Normals modifier and models brought in from Maya.