Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hunting Knife

copyright
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
copyright polycounter lvl 7
A hunting knife I made for my team probably going to make 5 different ones and then let the team choose what one is best: Heres the first one:

pic9.png

Replies

• copyright
  • copyright
    Offline / Send Message
    Any comments/suggestions on how to make it better?
  • il Duce Primo
    Offline / Send Message
    il Duce Primo polycounter lvl 15
    The blade edge should be very crisp for the most part unless you are aiming for a more stylaized piece, but it seems like your'e aiming for more realism.
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    That's a nice knife you have there!

is the light grey on the edge of the knife wear? I think its maybe a bit too uniform and should be broken up a bit. The scratches seem a little random too especially on the metal part of the handle

also on the metal there is like a white squiggle? it looks like someone has put a line of pva glue all over it. I think you should have another look at the metal texture maybe?

I am loving that wood though!

Im sorry for sort of ripping into your model a bit there, i do like it though :)
  • copyright
    Offline / Send Message
    Rip on it all you want im trying to get better lol xD
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    lol fair enough! But yeah just work on your metal a bit :) a spec map would massively help the metal!

whats the size of the texture map?
  • copyright
    Offline / Send Message
    I did add a spec map, maybe not properly, mind showing me how it's done? lol
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    Let's see your spec map?

It's basically just a greyscale map where white is super shine and black is not shiney at all! so all those scratches will be be alot lighter than the rest of it because then thy will pop more.

a good starting point is taking your diffuse and desaturating it before messing with the levels :)
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    It's definitely not bad for a first timer - Excellent, actually. However, yes, there is enormous room for improvement on your part.

1) Have you tried baking out an Ambient Occlusion map? It looks like you MAY have (or you just used the burn tool in photoshop?), but if you haven't, learn how to bake out an AO map to get a good start / Base for beginning your textures on.

2) In terms of modeling, why not post your wireframes so that we can see if your topology could flow a bit better? Even though it is such a small prop, it doesn't hurt to learn good edge flow for whatever you're making...

3) Upon much closer inspection to your texture(s), it seems like you made some squiggles to act as a sort of scratch / wear and tear to your diffuse map there...That could be done with a little more care and realism. It is all too consistent on every area of the blade and definitely looks like you just took it into photoshop / paint and made some squiggles and called it done. Try to have as much variance as you can on many parts of the blade, and try to make it contrast a lot more in different areas. This all goes for the handle as well...Add some VARIANCE / CONTRAST!

4) I'm not sure what the huge white part is next to your diffuse texture there, but I hope it isn't your spec map! Whenever you make a spec map, it definitely should NEVER be a totally solid white or black texture map. Once again, it should have a lot of VARIANCE and CONTRAST; And it should compliment any normal maps you may have baked out from this model (if you did a high-poly?). Especially on edges, like the sharpest part of the knife....you could give that a different level of specularity than the rest of the blade because it is....well, it's different than the rest of the blade! It's the sharpest part, and therefore light may behave differently when reflecting in that area (which then leads into GLOSS map, which you should not underestimate. Look up Specularity Level / Gloss maps btw...)

5) Are you using a normal map at all? If not, that's fine for an object like this, but I don't see how it couldn't help, even if minutely. Maybe even a regular white/gray/black bump map could suffice!

6) I think that's all I have to say for now!

Keep it up, and MAKE THE IMPROVEMENTS! I will come back to check it out!
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    SaferDan wrote: »
    Let's see your spec map?

It's basically just a greyscale map where white is super shine and black is not shiney at all! so all those scratches will be be alot lighter than the rest of it because then thy will pop more.

a good starting point is taking your diffuse and desaturating it before messing with the levels :)

SaferDan is right - However, don't get into the mindset that a spec map is strictly black or white. that's not the way professionals usually make a spec map to be. Professionals will add different "tinges" and "hints" of color to their spec maps to make the light behave more interestingly when light reflects off certain areas of the model. For metal, a good color may be to use a very slight BLUE-ish tint, with some noise added on top to break up the consistency.

It almost sounds like I'm talking about a recipe for a dish when you're talking about 3d stuff doesn't it? lol...
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    lol yeah you can have a coloured spec map too :)

i just didn't want to confuse him as he didn't seem to know how to do one :)