Home Contests & Challenges Archives Low Poly Challenge

TRON - PLAYER - Pentact

Hey guys, this is my first attempt in a contest and this Tron challenge was interesting enough for me to jump on. I haven't modeled a character for almost 2 years so I wanted this to be a practice for me. I was inspired by The Rocketeer and of course Tron so this is a combination of sorts. Again this is my first entry so please go easy on me! So if I missed anything or if you need more info on the model, let me know :)

nduhd.jpg
xc3fvl.jpg
w0j8kg.jpg
35iayix.jpg
rkd013.jpg

Replies

• Dani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dani polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work!, really diging the amount of detail in the texture and how violent the character looks. Texture flats would be nice:poly142:.

ps: maybe I'm wrong but the polygon count up top isn't triangles right?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    The model looks a bit blocky and stiff but I really like the texture. There are still plenty of horizontal or vertical aligned edges (that you get from extruding, slicing,...) but they could be more moved in a flow, so that especially with the body you get a more natural motion in the edge flow.

How about some glow pass in the texture around the orange key color?, and maybe some orange glowing highlights or reflections on the rest of the suit from the orange lights?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Great work. The texture is real nice, but I agree with Render, needs a bit of orange glow reflecting off stuff near the orange bits. That would really make it pop.
  • PenTact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for comments so far! Yeah I agree on the glow pass. I've been trying to play around with it last night but I can't seem to get the right amount of glow so it won't be too distracting but I'll keep at it.

Renderhjs, is there a particular part on the model where you see I need to work on for the edge flow?

Daniel, I believe the tris count is underneath the polycount and I'll post up my texture as soon I add the glow on the texture. :)
  • PenTact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture update. Added a nice orange glow but I made a stronger presence on the helmet where it is bigger.
    2cel01j.jpg
    2cfd4x0.jpg
  • JonnyFiveAlive
    I agree with everyones comments. One thing that stood out for me right away, was the three qaurter pose shot. He looks pretty awsome in the ortho views, but for some reason the 3/4 shot makes him look stumpy. Maybe his hips or back need to be pulled in to make him a bit more narrow. Or maybe make him a tad bit taller...

I few minor adjustments to the model may fix this, but maybe im the only one that sees it that way?

Regardless, it's looking really sweet, I like the texture detail alot, and yes he does look very aggressive. Pretty badass dude!
  • JonnyFiveAlive
    After staring at your model some more, I think I figured out what im seeing here...
    jsut above the hips could be moved in a bit more yes. As he could really take on that pose a bit stronger, but a rigged pose may fix that....

I think the main thing is the eyes are to low on the face. Right now there basicly below the nose. Making him have a munchkin fase, which I think is causing him to feel stumpy to me.
  • PenTact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you mean. Yeah I think the model of the helmet makes it have that alien-ish look. Thank you for the great crits Jonny. I'll try to mess with his height and maybe his back area without try to get too much stretching.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    a bit late, but here are my nitpicks
    PenTact_tron_suggestion.jpg
  • PenTact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Render for your crits. I took a lot of your suggestions and applied them on this update.

I lowered the shoulders and chest and also spread the legs as well. I also added more glow on the texture and the red was a great suggestion. I tried it earlier before the critique but I think I used the wrong red because it didn't look right but the second time around it worked great. :D I think it's time to do the beauty shot but I still haven't thought of what should I do.
    1441tux.jpg
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Nice, its not that steril anymore thanks to the highlights, colors in the gray and shift in proportions. Maybe twist the feet a little bit, they are aligned right now with the world space axis, no one stands like that with their feet.
    I could be wrong but imo. the legs all in all could be a tat smaler compared to the upper body. How many triangles do you now have?
    Maybe you have 2 or 4 left for some particles? like some dust, glow, smoke, highlight...

but looks good, nice update