Home Technical Talk

Low poly ground texturing approach

idaho
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
idaho polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I have a little problem with texturing.
Image a ground for a low poly game. The ground will be bumpy, I mean it will have a few hills and it won't be just the even plane. Sort of what the example image presents.
Now - the ground will be textured with a single small tileable 128x128 texture of grass. So far so good. But - this ground will be pretty boring if it is just a tileable texture - I would like to make it more interesting by adding a few places of sand spots, a few places where a rocky terrain is visible, not the grass. If the terrain was a simple plane - I would place just a decal plane on it with the appropriate texture with alpha and it would blend nicely. But what to do when the terrain is not a straight plane? I cannot make a decal in a shape of a hill - it would consume too much geometry. I figured out a solution to cut out a part of the terrain mesh - e.g the orange faces from the example and texture them separately. But - there will be a problem to match the tiling pattern on the bigger mesh with the borders of the cut-out smaller part.
Generally the question is if I am thinking right or not? What would be the best approach here?

Replies