Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Francois Martin, 3D artist

downarmy
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
downarmy polycounter lvl 7
www.fm3d.info

Hi i redesigned my portfolio updated my Art work a little

I am looking for design crits and also artwork crits as i am looking to get a job in the industry

Thanks

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    In your face with pictures on the first click. Good. Clicking takes me to a new page, not so good but acceptable.

Not sure I like the bland grey background as your renders are also using grey backgrounds so it sort of looks dull to the eyes. As you can tell I like lots of colour.

As for getting into the industry, wouldn't it be better if these models were rendered in-game? Maybe they are? Looks like normal max / maya renders to me. Ok on further exploration some of it is in-game but not as nicely presented as one would expect.

I know you're aiming for a more 3D role and not environment artist but you would do your models (especially boxes) more justice if they were arranged into some sort of scene.

Take this picture:

http://www.fm3d.info/images/WIP_13.jpg

The top picture really shows the normals but the bottom picture looks rushed and bland. That's my two cents.

On a final note, the site presents your name and contact details perfectly. However I get this feeling your portfolio makes you want to be more of a CGI artist than a game artist. Hope that helps.

(P.S. Don't have a go at me for not putting names on my work. I've yet to redo it all :P)
  • Sylk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As soon as I clicked it, I seen three big words that are a pretty big issue, from what I have been told.

"Work In Progress". I have had it nailed into my head from day one, that one should never put their work in progress (No matter how good it is, I might add ;) ) into their portfolio. A portfolio should, and I quote "Be only your best, and greatest work" Because when a prospective employer sees it they, and I quote again "Dont' want to see what you're working on, only what you've completed".

It should also be noted that I am only just now leaving my course, and am yet to submit my own portfolio out... Or even finish one. HA!

Other than that, I like where your portfolio is going, you've got a few good images in there. Though, I'm on a very low bandwidth, so I can't see them all.. Which is disappointing, I like what I see. :)

Keep it up.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Get rid of your wokr in progress. It only tells me you were too lazy to finish it before you showed me. Don't you want to show a potential employer the best you have?

Now I get that you're still in school, so that's fine. Feel free to leave it up for now to show people as you're getting crits on your work etc. But when you finaly get around to applying. NO WIP! :)

Also remove the words "school project" from everything. Absolutley never, ever, tell us that what you have in your portfolio is school work unless we ask. School work = you aren't passionate enough to do even better work on your own... and that's not the impresion you want to give.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Two 2048s for that stuka seems a little...overkill...
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I also agree about your texture size.
    2x2048 for stuka, 2x2048 + 1x 1024 for T34, 1x1024 for ak-47
    All of them could be half size. :poly121:
    Once I heard that you gonna be evaluated for your worst work. So only keep your best on your portfolio. Don´t worries to much in throw some work out.
    You don´t need that WIP section. :thumbup:
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you all i will get rid of my WIP section.
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Everyone beat me to it on the WIP thing.

First impression: Tank is your best looking model. Plane is good too. Props are decent.

Definitely getting there.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    My portfolio teacher in my school kinda rags on students about the term "3d Artist." When you think about it... what is a 3d artist? The term 3d Artist is so broad that it could tie to anything. Modeler, animator, rigging, rendering... So what do you want to get hired as? You look to me like a 3d modeler.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    The site is easy to navigate and you have a nice work so far. Heres a few things that I wanted to comment on:

Tank

-The wireframes are very bold it seams it would do better being a bit lighter.

Stuka

-main issue that I see is the inconsistent flow of edges and it needs to be optimized more I think. It has very high detail parts like the blades and bombs could be lower.
    -personally I would drop the red wireframe views, there not helping your presentation much.

Helicopter

-Id drop the render on the black blackground

You don't need a "E" in polygons and you forgot the "S" in all rights reserved. Well thats my two cents and good luck to you.
  • downarmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know its way late reply but thank you all and i updated my portfolio again as i am looking for work, i changed the Wip section for a blog section and got rid of my old and less stellar pieces.

Thanks if you guys got other crits they are always welcome