Homeโ€บ General Discussion

COD: Black Ops

Replies

• Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The same game as MW2. I tire of these watered-down console games.

*Plays Icewind Dale*
  • benjyshwa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benjyshwa polycounter lvl 13
    The same game as MW2. I tire of these watered-down console games.

*Plays Icewind Dale*

Same game type yes, story wise its completely different, you get to find out who really shot Kennedy!

Multi-player the same but worse.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Beat it on Vet, and it totally changed my mind... YES its buggy as fuck, YES I'm still having issues with MP, and YES its not the most original thing ever...

But the SP was amazing right to the end. The start was a bit poor, but then it just got better and better, and the ending was really well done. Easily the best COD SP game to day, no contest.

Its such a shame its been bogged down by so many issues and bugs, because its a fantastic SP game, and when the MP works, its amazing... But meh... Stupid a......ss ji...t..t....er b.... ugs...
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    So to those who own it for PC, should those of us who don't own it yet wait for patches to fix the issues before buying it? I am really tempted to go broke buying this game but if it's better just to wait a little while before they patch some of these crippling bugs...I'll save my dough...
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    ebagg wrote: ยป
    So to those who own it for PC, should those of us who don't own it yet wait for patches to fix the issues before buying it? I am really tempted to go broke buying this game but if it's better just to wait a little while before they patch some of these crippling bugs...I'll save my dough...

The first patch fixed most of the issues but MW2 presents a less buggy, less laggy experience.

The game has a different, but not better, balance than MW2, worse maps, and is less stable/more buggy than MW2, still has plenty of hackers, but now you can't play with your friends and people will kick you from their servers if you do well/don't follow their rules (which means you can buy a contract to get kills with X, and then get kicked from a ranked server for using X weapon).

If you want to play a game that is a step back from MW2 in certain areas and makes lateral steps in others, but offers no improvements, then by all means pick it up.

The singleplayer campaign isn't quite up there with MW2's (which didn't match MW1s, in my opinion) but its still really solid.

Ultimately, though, I regret picking up the game instead of Fallout New Vegas. I've got 250 hours in MW2 multiplayer and figured this would provide something similar, but unless they release more performance patches I'm probably not going to get invested in it enough to get as intimate with it as I did MW2.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    ebagg wrote: ยป

The first couple of days were completely awful, granted, but now it seems to have gotten better. There's still a lot of issues with the serverbrowser.

Many people, including me, seem to get rid of the lag stuttering by entering this in the console:
    cl_maxpackets 100
    snaps 30

But, it won't hurt you to wait for a patch or two down the line before getting the game.

The game has a different, but not better, balance than MW2, worse maps, and is less stable/more buggy than MW2, still has plenty of hackers, but now you can't play with your friends and people will kick you from their servers if you do well/don't follow their rules.
    So far I think the maps are actually fantastic, though some killstreaks are insanely overpowered. I've not once gotten kicked for doing well, and I'm often in the top 3. However if you don't follow their rules of course you're getting the boot, that's no different from any game.

Overall, I think there's many step forwards from MW2 and most of the people I've talked to thought the SP were far superior to MW2. I haven't played it however, so I can't give my opinion.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    On the hope that they patch it up, id say this game is much better than MW2. Its great to see admins actually managing their servers, this couldn't happen in MW2... It kinda sucks that if you want to play with your friends you have to play unranked matches but i guess thats the way to go if you have xp and currency in your game... It kinda sucks that you have to unlock all the weapons before you have the choice and huge advantage with the pro-perks and stuff to those who have not.

Is it only me that feels like you want to elbow the guy making the menus in the face? is it so fucking hard to make a decent menu? and single player menu is even worse... its 2010 im expecting better than 1999...
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    just beat it on hardened, will do my vet run through soon. it suffers from the same annoying shit that all the previous cod games did, but seems to feature even more of the "AWESOME" infinite spawning enemies until you move up section, there seemed to be atleast one in every level from what i could tell.

I hate it when games just start tossing tons and tons of enemies at you towards the end, seems to feel like the dev realized the game was only 5 hours long so they add 20% more enemies to bump it up a bit.

the story was alright, the flashing shit and constant yelling about numbers was fucking annoying, same with repeating the same 3 names over and over, seems like half the audio was just cycled over and over, just became annoying to me. overall the campaign to me was kinda meh, with moments of cool, but just became tedious towards the end and i just wanted it to be done. cool final level though.

the visuals seem a bit below mw2, but still pretty nice, wicked lighting in some areas. overall my impression was I wasnt blown away or super excited. multiplayer is fun, digging the wager matches but i can see myself getting bored of the cod formula within a month.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    just beat it on hardened, will do my vet run through soon. it suffers from the same annoying shit that all the previous cod games did, but seems to feature even more of the "AWESOME" infinite spawning enemies until you move up section, there seemed to be atleast one in every level from what i could tell.

I hate it when games just start tossing tons and tons of enemies at you towards the end, seems to feel like the dev realized the game was only 5 hours long so they add 20% more enemies to bump it up a bit.

the story was alright, the flashing shit and constant yelling about numbers was fucking annoying, same with repeating the same 3 names over and over, seems like half the audio was just cycled over and over, just became annoying to me. overall the campaign to me was kinda meh, with moments of cool, but just became tedious towards the end and i just wanted it to be done. cool final level though.

the visuals seem a bit below mw2, but still pretty nice, wicked lighting in some areas. overall my impression was I wasnt blown away or super excited. multiplayer is fun, digging the wager matches but i can see myself getting bored of the cod formula within a month.

do they still throw infinite grenades at you? Remember playing world at war and doing the veteran shit was just stupid.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many people, including me, seem to get rid of the lag stuttering by entering this in the console:
    cl_maxpackets 100
    snaps 30

But, it won't hurt you to wait for a patch or two down the line before getting the game.

There were some people experiencing network latency, especially before they upped the rate on the servers to 25000 vs the launch 10000. But the big issue, that the quick patch improved, was a CPU-bound performance issue.

So far I think the maps are actually fantastic, though some killstreaks are insanely overpowered. I've not once gotten kicked for doing well, and I'm often in the top 3. However if you don't follow their rules of course you're getting the boot, that's no different from any game.

I play well too, and have only gotten kicked once personally, but the fact is that there are ranked servers with admins who are making arbitrary rules. Personally, I can't fucking stand the idea of a ranked server having arbitrary rules like "no toobs, no sprinting, tactical crouch only" and a lot of the other horseshit that is popping up and plagued COD4.

Add to this the fact that the server browser displays a random fraction of the servers which is both being addressed in a patch and intentional depending on where Treyarch is posting and you have a frustrating dedicated server experience.
    Overall, I think there's many step forwards from MW2 and most of the people I've talked to thought the SP were far superior to MW2. I haven't played it however, so I can't give my opinion.

Name one. The dedicated servers are an advantage for ping only, as they've removed the ability to play with friends, and you can't use the console to connect to a specific server. They removed OMA tubing and killstreak chaining, but they've got new weapon imbalances and you say yourself that some of the killstreaks are overpowered (although I would disagree, but I am a big fan of the streak system and have no problem with rewarding someone who hits an 11 kill streak unaided by killstreaks with dog packs and chopper gunners)

The maps are more Quake-like, and play like a bunch of boxes connected to each other by hallways. The variety of ranges and secondary paths that a lot of the MW2 maps had seem to be missing, although I haven't played most of the maps more than 3 times yet since I couldn't play for the first few days due to their buggy launch.

Overall, as a huge fan of MW2 and MW1, I can't recommend people pick this up yet. Get it for Christmas maybe, they'll hopefully have bugs ironed out by then.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    so is the SP better than COD4? because that was an amazing experience
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: ยป
    so is the SP better than COD4? because that was an amazing experience

This one and MW2 (I haven't played WaW) both have some great moments but I don't think either tops COD4.

MW2 has a wider variety of cool set pieces and gameplay pacing, this one is more consistently high-end action (MW2 has several scenes that are basically trying to recreate the awesome bits of COD4 like the sniper mission), but this one has a more interesting and engaging plot, characters, and a lot of pretty cool set pieces.

However, there is a hill in this game that can eat shit forever, and if you play through it you'll probably know what I'm talking about.

If COD4's is a 10, though, MW2 and BO are both a 9, failing to hit that perfect 10 for different reasons (MW2 plot issues, BO pacing/change of pace issues).
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    It's nowhere near MW, but vastly better than mw2, sp wise. Clumsy and poorly paced in some places but universally cool and fun.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know if I need to be worried about the SP: hope it's not like WaW, that was just terrible. I could not finish that game on veteran for the life of it, sold it halfway through.
    MW2 was just a lot better because enemies were not infinite anymore, I never had any big problems on veteran there.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you guys say you can't play with friends, how do you mean?
    I've been doing nothing but play with my friends. We often get split up on different teams, sure, but if you're around 6-8 people it's kind of fun to play against eachother as well.

As for arbitrary rules, one of the huge boons of dedicated servers are house rules. You find one that suits you and stick with it. Most servers have no rules at all. In MW2 I'd be giggling with delight if a dedicated server banned tubing and akimbo, which were both game breaking in annoyance factor.

However, in MW:BO tubing isn't nearly as powerful or prevalent, so that's a good thing, neither is akimbo.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    When we say play ''with'' friends we mean together in the same team :P I hate playing against the 3 people im voiping with, I want to teamwork with them.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah, yeah. It'd be nice if you kept the same teams from map to map, and if the switch team button wasn't greyed out.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In MW2 it was already hard enough to end up on the same server, so i didn't care what team me and my buddy were on. Or was I missing something there ? The matchmaking just made playing together really tough.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Sad to say matchmaking made playing together easier than what it is in Blops :/

Just joining through steam instead of using the convoluted and annoying ingame friends system that doesnt work half the time was easier.
    Heck in CoD 4 I used the connect (IP adress here) command in the console to connect to friends, but they removed the connect command in blops :/
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I'm playing it now and man fuck oh man. I like. Sure it's not the best game I've ever played but it totally hits the spot. I've been itching for a nice game with nice brain dead multiplayer lately.

Chaos and hectic. Everyone is equal amounts of suck , it's all luck, who get's the drop on who etc. Good times. :)

No bugs or anything noticed yet.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: ยป
    In MW2 it was already hard enough to end up on the same server, so i didn't care what team me and my buddy were on. Or was I missing something there ? The matchmaking just made playing together really tough.

you just party up and the host starts the matchmaking and you play with your friends, its easy in MW2.

theater mode is finally working on PC so that's something new, finally. If you're looking for the next CoD, this is going to scratch that itch, but some people are still having issues with the game (my buddy gets disc'd constantly, some people have performance issues, etc) but its doing better than it was at launch.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    SP - Played through SP, its about as good as MW2. took me about 6 - 7 hours i think so about the same length. No bugs, and no slowdown or crashes.

Different pacing and more obvious infinite enemy parts, but more 'cool' bits. The story was more involving, if a bit annoying at times. I missed some of the sniper/covert parts from MW2 though.
    *edit* - Actually one thing that really i didn't like as much as MW2 was the time period it is set in - MW2 seems set in present day (or near about) Blops is set around the 1960s, nothing against the 60s, just preferred the modern day thing.

COOP - Lack of spec ops is a big minus , it almost made me not buy it.
    Ive not played the zombie COOP yet really, but it looked more like killing floor than L4D (not that one or the other is better necessarily, just for people that are wondering)

MP - So far i would say its a lot better than MW2, mainly because or the dedicated servers, its format im used to after playing CSS for a few years, and the matchmaking system of MW2 meant you could be sitting about for quite a time, while host after host fails , or your friend that was in your party doesn't make it in the game, or it just plain simple sits there looking for people to add, adds them then splits you again (with your mate :P). Tubeing is almost non existent and akimbo ive not seen yet. All though i have seen the odd knife runner or a guy with a double barrel shotgun and lightweight prancing about. The maps are fine, i think ive played them all a few times now and they seem as good if not better then the MW2 maps.

There does seem less of a reliance on kill steaks and perks, but im only lvl 17 so maybe im wrong. I dont know weather its intentional (from a tactical point of view) but you cant edit your custom class while connected to a server, its sort of annoying, but i guess it stops people from seeing there is a certain type of class on the map and on the fly making a counter class. Not sure if this is good or not - i cant decide yet.

I think over all you have to know what you have, this is a modern day quake set with realistic GFX etc. Its not really a realistic combat sim (HC may be, it would certainly stop knife running)
    The thing that stopped me from playing MW2 was the matchmaking - tubers and hacking
    The thing that stopped me playing BC2 was the complete unbalance of the weapons (run round with a pinpoint accurate M60 much?) And the fact that its so large scale i didn't feel like i was really doing a lot. (just not my cup of tea i guess) The need to connect to a separate service outside steam was a constant pain for the first few days/week , i think this actually lost the game a lot of the community it could have got.

Black ops isn't without its faults, but ive not seem much in the way of weapon unbalance or hacking yet, lag is bad at times, ive left a few servers because of other players having very high pings and not seeming to care, but over all better than MW2

Bit of a wall of text, but hey, if you liked MW2 you should like this. If you are just buying for the single player, wait until it drops in price IMO :)
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    started with 3 players, someone had to go, so me and a buddy bashed from 26 to wave 30 in zombies \o/
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never gotten past 9 even :/ Any tips or do we just suck ?
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We kinda polished every bit of it.
    Took a while to find out how to roll, but here is a small breakdown of what we do.
    (two player)

-picks up meteor 1,
    -picks up shotty to blast the first 3 waves (do not pick up other weapons to save points)
    -with 1k points, we open the door to upstairs (best way to go round)
    -blast this wave, open the next door to the staircase room
    -blast this wave here with still the shotty from the beginning
    -hide in the top corner where the shotty is on the wall to await the dog wave

Depending where the magic box spawns, we start opening it for a few good weapons.
    What we look for is monkeys, the big 125 clip machinegun, a crossbow, and the thundergun. What is also a nice one to have is that alien green bubble gun.

-open the next door, and grab 2nd meteor, DO NOT STAY HERE,
    it is too small and you get trapped,
    -go to the stage, one guy looks at the back and side window, other mows the front door.
    -we mostly stay here till the new dog wave, so we have a good few points to upgrade and buy the juggernaut.
    -turn on the power at this point, hop in the teleported to set the 1st link, and run towards the machine in the back to grab the juggernaut, now you can take 4 hits instead of 2.. which means staying alive long enough to act, run into the lobby and turn on the 2nd link, the teleporter is now activated.

From here, every wave becomes the same routine.
    we hang around the turret in the theater, which after wave 15 or so we constantly switch on, blast what ever you can before you go to the middle part of the theater and now start walking circles. (Theater -> lobby -> upstairs-> back to theater)
    Blast everything behind you, now and then look infront for a zombie here and there. (later waves have a lot of zombies from all sides which trap you)

Lots of times we go outside aswell, but that is a little more being trapped sensitive, and you miss out on a turret to activate.

important is to,
    -Start every wave in the theater, a good open space
    -KEEP RUNNING, if you stay in one spot, you're dead.
    -Find good weapons, hop in the teleporter, (5kpoints needed) and upgrade it. You need the power. (can also be an escape, and when up there, grenade the shit out of them from above, extra nates on the side of the wall*) When you spawn back, LOOK AROUND, and then look towards the theatre)
    -MONKEYS, when things get too heavy, throw one in time, this will lure all zombies too it, and it will give you time to revive one another, (do not forget to buy quickrevive, it is in the lobby)
    -Buy other things from the machines, they will help you out a lot, and don't forget those are gone once you are revived.
    -pick up meteor 3, and go bezerk with a good tune that starts playing.
    -Walk together!! If you both wonder off, you will get trapped between the zombies that are after you, and those that follow your team mate and suddenly turn around.

And last, when you feel a wave is about to end, and only a few are left, leave one crawling zombie alive, this will prevent the next wave from starting, and you have time to collect what you need.

How to activate the song:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptb5y15RPEs[/ame]

Who didn't pay electricbill!
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I enjoy MP more than MW2: MP, except the spawning system. Never once in the previous CoD's did I ever spawn under a cobra/hind/cobra 15 times in a row, with out any ability to get cover, in the middle of a street directly into its firing line.
    Thats retarded.
    Same game, also spawned me in direct line of napalm bombing run as the bombs were dropping. And then 3 times in a row in the fire. Not near the fire, in the fire.

I don't care if someone spawns behind me and knife's my sack, thats my bad for not checking 360, but spawning me directly into death 15 times in one game. Thats ridiculous.
    It was a domination match that was turned into 20 minutes of slaughter. Would have been a fantastic time even on the loosing side, if it wasn't for the constant spawn-death.
    __
    As for SP, I like the story better than MW2, but so far MW1 is still my favorite, as far as story and mp.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Diggin' the SP campaign. Game engine was owning my 4 year old dell XPS - showing jitters and locking up when loading geometry, even with everything turned right down in the paltry graphics options menu. Had to run through the config file and turn almost everything off. Now it looks like Team Arena - lol - but it plays fine.

Strangely MW2 ran just fine on medium settings.

Sloppy optimising? Bad console port maybe? Whatever. The gameplay's the thing..
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So my rundown of things:

-SP is overall pretty good, not as good as MW2, doesn't feel as epic, the whole Nova Gas story is minda cheesy compared to MW's epicness. Also I really didn't like Reznov in WaW, he didn't have to come back with his retarded battlecries.
    Also biggest letdown is that they still have some of those infini-spawn moments in there, coupled with suicidal asian badguys (just like the japanese in WaW). I guess I just really mind that one level in Khe Sanh, fucking ridiculous.
    -They really have a lot of cool extra stuff, the second zombie level is a nice surprise (love the playable characters!), that terminal to do hacks on is cool, and the way to get to it is brilliant.
    -Just did a bit of MP, it's pretty fun actually, more balanced since even with default classes I came out top player a few times. The only real letdown here is the lag, my last match just now was pretty bad.
    -Graphicswise it's not as good as MW2 either, I can tell Treyarch is a bit more sloppy with things in general. Where the MW2 MP maps where almost all shining gems of environment art, BO just can't reach that level anywhere, though some do get close (Launch comes to mind).

Definitely enjoyable and very replayable, a step up from CoD5WaW (which I found atrocious compared to MW), but not up to IW level just yet.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    The levels in MW2 were awful though (QUARRY I HATE YOU!). I like all the levels in Black Ops, except for Firing Range, Radiation and WMD.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wave 38 :D
    1700+ kills
    this week.. whoop 40's ass, bastards.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

So I bought this the other day and I'm looking for people to play with (xbox 360). If you want to play please add me. Gamertag: Deluxe Walrus

My thoughts on the game so far.

SP: Mostly good. But something that drags it down is the lack of testing in some areas. I mean, I play a lot of games. So it is rare that I get to a point and it takes 5 deaths on normal to even figure out what I'm supposed to do. I'm talking about the napalm barrels on I think the 4th level. It was just stupid. Also I feel like they are trying to raise the excitement bar like mw2 and they have over done it.

MP: MW2 with a new skin with some new subfeatures (Subfeatures= options within an already established feature). For example new perks.

I don't know. Those are my thoughts. Still a good game. I would say that it is the worst, best selling game. And by that I mean it is a GREAT game. But I don't think it deserved to set records. Just my thoughts.

Please send me some invites. :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Played it and although I thought it was a good game, MW2 was just better in pretty much every way.

SP wise as Lauren said it didnt feel as epic as MW2 even though they kept going from "edge of your seat" moment after moment. I think that is what hurt any epic feel to the game. With all these edge of your seat moments there was no down time, nothing to compare it too.

Story was better then MW2's though somewhat as there were so many times I was like "ok wtf is going on now?" Hated the endless spawning of enemies. Learn to be a better designer. Guns looked fantastic, but didnt care for them as much as MW2's. They just didnt seem to have that weight and sound of the guns in MW2.

MP wise I perfer MW2 more but then I played that a ton. Loved all MW2 maps, cant say that about BO. Do like the fact that noob tubing isnt as stupid as it is in MW2 as that ruined it for me. Also LOVED wager matched. One in the chamber was so fun. MP maps wernt as good looking as MW2 maps IMO.

One thing I noticed throughout MP and SP was there were so many areas that were really well done artistically and a good number of terribly done areas. Some places that you would have to run right past because of the mission were the most simplistic geo and low rez textures.

Good game over all but just not up to the Modern Warfare standard yet I think.