Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Platform-tastic!

I've been working on a sidescrolling platformer level to add some higher quality stuff to my portfolio. I've been staring at this thing so much, I'm beginning to have trouble seeing what could do with improvement.

Here are 2 of the trap rooms. I'm sorry for the lower quality screens for the lava room. Better images for that will come later. I wanted to get this up before I had to leave for school today. In particular I'm looking for suggestions on better lighting, new props to drop in, and any other edits to textures or props.

iso_temple_08.jpg
iso_temple_09.jpg

Replies

• plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This post is a little image heavy. Here is some more stuff to look at. Better captures of the lava area, plus some of my maps. I used a vertex painting material setup i found here on polycount by Virtuosic. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66952&page=4

iso_temple_10.jpg
    iso_temple_11.jpg
    tex_01.jpg
    tex_02.jpgtex_03.jpg
    tex_04.jpg
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    since no one else is posting, I like your work.
    The vertex paint shader is looking good, the spec really is selling the floor texture in your screenshots, and you seem to have your colors working in your advantage,
    my only nitpicks would be that the individual props could use more loving, some sets of the chains, for instance, look a little bleh when you look closely.
    I also think that its a little bare. you need more stuff to bring everything together.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    floor stones dont look like stones... too regular too regular wear...
    lava looks like orange water... use refs
    your stone pillars need to be re-baked with hard edges.... even if the normals wor in realtime lightmapping will often round chamfered surfaces as it calculates off the low...
    blue light is far too saturated

keep it up
  • gredgie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gredgie polycounter lvl 7
    In the interests of player readability (which I imagine is taken into account even on just-for-portfolio models :D) I'd suggest somehow lighting the spikes a little more, just to ensure the player understands the threat they present.
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. I should have some more to post tonight. I should be able to address some of these today.

@shrew81 - I had someone else mention the chains as a problem area in person, but I couldn't get them to describe what they actually felt was wrong. Is it a geometry thing? The scale of the links? The material?

@SHEPEIRO - The lava is still a work in progress. I think this is version 3. Today I'm hoping to build some more meshes for it and edit the colors today.

I will see what I can do about the pillars to fix the lighting errors they have been causing.
  • plyrs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nevermore - I agree on the spikes thing. I may have to add a rim-light to them. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Will be in for the next update though.

I tried to address most of the things brought up so far. Edited the lava. Redid the baking on the pillars. Tried to make the lava pillars less repetitive (read: boring). I desaturated the blue light.

I also started making some decals for cracks to bust up the floor and walls. Take 1 on that was a disaster though. I need to figure out how to make the decal inherit the bump offset from the material is it laying on.

Anywhoo, updated images. Critique and criticism welcome.
    iso_temple_12.jpg
    iso_temple_13.jpg