Home Technical Talk

Udk Lighting issue

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
SnakeDoctor keyframe
Ok quick question. I have a modular piece where I have deleted some polygons in the back the player will never see. When I put a dominate directional light it of course shines right through the backface of the model causing lighting problems. One guy mentioned somthing about making the material 2 sided. How do you do that with UDK or what can I do to not get this error? Would it of been best to keep those polygons in the back?

Thanks for the help :)

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if that's what the problem is, but to make a material two sided, just check the box in the material editor.

propertiespane.jpg
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Ok thanks. It did solve the problem, but if anyone knows a better way please feel free to let me know. Still wondering is it takes less computer power to render more polygons or make a material 2 sided.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    The 2 sided material is more expensive than 2 sided geo, 9/10 times.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    In some of the UDK models I've opened or looked into in engine, they tend to duplicate the object and reverse the face normals. That way the object has no back face problems like you encountered. Sure you have extra polys, but unless you have a crazy scene Unreal typically can handle them.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Ya, I would avoid the two sided material route unless you are not worried about performance and its purely for beauty static shots.

The other route would be to instance a mesh that can cover the back and use that so you don't take a hit on a new unique mesh

or you can just create a simple plane with a black texture on it place it and scale it to fit the deleted faces of your objects to keep the light from shining through.