Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dark Angels Marine Squad

EDIT: Posting new images up here in addition to inside the thread.
Veteran with a mini environment.
MarinePresentRendersmall.png

Original Post:
Alright, it's not really a squad, more a trio, but trio just sounds a bit silly.

I started modeling the base model for these Space Marines during the summer after I picked up the new 5th Edition Codex and thought it would be good practice. The initial idea was to be able to have a single, fairly detailed model that could be more or less modular by adding/removing pieces to individualize the character while maintaining a somewhat modest triangle count. After some months I finally got back into the project and have been hitting it with a decent amount of gusto in between looking for work.

So far, I'm just working on the "test bed" Marine, the Marine Sergeant/Veteran who maintains the closest similarity to the template model. The template model is 7354 triangles, the Veteran spikes it to 8436 (thank you, cylinders *grumble*)

For right now, I'm posting wires, normals, diffuse, and composite. Reference images and UV sheet on request, or perhaps a later post. I'm mainly looking for pointers to either optimize or just to give the project that extra nudge in the right direction. Keep in mind that nothing here is final. There are some things that I might bang my head against a wall if they need to be changed, but whatever makes it better.

Some notes: Biggest thing is there is no real "High Poly" mesh. The wings, skulls, and purity seals are all zBrushed from low poly models, the hoses do have high poly iterations, but the entire undersheath, backpack holes, and laurels on the helmet are done with nDo and some Photoshop trickery. Secondly, Maya's Mental Ray AO bake left me with some fantastic UV seams showing up, and I may end up scrapping it for an xNormal bake. Lastly, yes, there are individual vents in the vox filter and on his backpack. That was a choice I made early on, normal maps just can't seem to cut it for detail that goes very deep. It raises poly count, but I want the model to look good up close, whereas the Dawn of War models tend to break down at a close look.
Wall of images incoming:
VetWires1.pngVetNorm1.pngVetDiff1.pngVetComp1.png

Replies

• t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Hey this is looking good, but I wish you had put in some more detail on your high poly. Your base shapes are alright, but I think it would really benefit from having the normals of the bigger-scale details baked from high poly instead of adding them in through photoshop etc. Also, his forearms should be quite longer, right now they seem to be a bit too short.

I would also be curious to see your texture flats.

Finally, why don't you try putting in a 2 or 3 lights setup, it's a bit too dark in the final pic.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with t4paN, i think you can push the high poly even further. look into creating a detail normal map for the scratches and dents, and really scratch him up some more! this guy looks like he's been in a scuff or two, but nothing too serious. Space marines in the Warhammer universe are constantly at war, and are always getting scratched up and shot. Really run with that idea and make it look like this guy has been fighting for his life for months or years. also, look at some reference from the new warhammer game space marine. Use that for some inspiration and add a little more to this. great start though, looking forward to seeing this done!
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster, the detail normal map is on the "to-do" list, however, I won't be generating one until I'm satisfied with my diffuse. As for the "high poly", I've got some detailing in mind to go on his wrists, adding in some of the paneling, and maybe bake another skull on the leg with rivets on it. However, I'm not too sure on what else to do as far as detailing. Much of the extra detailing on Space Marines means extra polygons, which I'm trying to minimize at this stage. As far as damage, I tried to play it safe on the scuffing, but I hear it needs more, so I'll add some more.

@t4paN, That last image is Maya default lighting, just to show the interaction of the diffuse and the normal map. I totally agree with that being too dark. Also, here's the texture flat. I had a bear of a time trying to pack it, and I'm sure that I could optimize it further, but I think I just lack the practice. Arms, upper legs, and a lot of smaller details are just stacked UVs, Anything with it's own UV shell was kept that way to allow for individual detailing, which with this model I'm not taking too much advantage of, but still opportunity to.

Thank you both for your responses, they proved very helpful, and will post updates when I can.

VetUVsheet.png
  • Barnstable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good man. Definitely a Space Marine. There are a couple of things I would adjust the size of though. The knee pads are too small IMO. Keep them where they are, but increase the size by like 20-30%. Also, I think the wings on the chest could be bigger, as in take up more room on the chest. If you look at the Space Marine figures, the wings usually cover the whole upper torso.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    I'm Warhammer fanboy and I say it look like Space Marine. But arms are little unproportional. Hands cloud be little bit bigger or arms cloud be little bit longer. (Or thiner). And that thing between shoulder and hand cloud be smaller, because it look really odd.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i understand why you've gone for a battledamaged look. but bear in mind that all marines are both responsible for (and punushed for not...) upkeep of their armour, this includes field repairs and repainting with chapter colours.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Just remember to make the lower portion of the arm (under the elbow till the wrist) a bit longer before you rig this guy!
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update: Revisited the arm proportions by raising the shoulder, made the pauldrons bigger, raised the elbow, and lengthened the forearm.

I also made a new set of wings by making a high-poly in Maya and baking that on, went by a lot faster than zBrushing a new mesh. I'm uploading both the new and the old normal test images for a comparison. I think the wings look a helluva lot better now with a much cleaner mesh. In time, I'll put in some hours for zBrush, but I suppose now is not it.

New:
    VetNorm2.png

Old:
    VetNorm1.png

Here's a close-up of the chest:
    wingUpdate.png

I'll be adding in some bolter dents later after I sculpt some out of a plane to be used as "modular" pieces for the high poly library, it's all on the list of "to do's".
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing quite like updating with small changes frequently.
    Changes: zBrushed a plane and made bullet holes which were then projected onto the model. Made a Work-in-Progress detail normal map. Scrapped the old paintjob and made an faster process. Made some details for the right shoulderpad.
    Diffuse isn't as far along as the last one, but the amount of time it took me to repaint the green is leaps and bounds faster than the last one.

I'm hoping that by posting incrementally will help me keep track of my own progress on the model and my own abilities as well as hopefully snagging some helpful critiques while I can easily make changes.

Now for the image dump:
    VetNorm3.png
    VetDiff2.png
    VetComp2.png
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the update. How ever, id like a moore contrasted speceular. Maybe its the lighting.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, no spec yet :P just a regular ol' Blinn shader for right now. I tend to do things like detail normals and specular after I've wrapped up the diffuse.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well it looks great so far! Keep it up. Im starting my base mesh atm if it intrests ;)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Can you get a render in a 3 quarters view?
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Visceral, sounds awesome. Shoot me a message when you're ready to show stuff.

@whats_true, is this along the lines of what you're looking for?
    VetComp3.png
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been slacking and watching a lot of Batman lately instead of working on this. Got working on an update with closer to completion diffuse and normal maps, and experimenting with specular color with a test spec map.

Changelog for this post: Added text to the diffuse, "Angelus Mortis" on his leg and the Oratio Dominica on the purity seals. Added in more paneling details on his leg and belt buckle, more grime added, cleaned up the diffuse some in terms of layout and look, updated normal maps and made a spec map.

Images incoming:
    VetComp5.png
    VetComp4.png

The top image will be posted on the first page as well.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    It looks cool, the only thing that called my attention was the faceted silhouette of the inner boot at the bottom. It calls a lot of attention on itself specially since th rest of the geo is very nice and well cast.

derHollander.jpg
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I noticed something from your 3rd part view. After looking at the references you gave me it seems that the MKIII design of the space marine has a 'longer' respirator. it looks great from a front view but the helm feels squashed from a 3rd part view. Just something to not for future marines ;)
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been super lazy this week on this project, but I updated the specular and finished off the diffuse this morning.

The following is a 3-point lighting test for the textures, rendered in Mental Ray. I have yet to get the hang of Maya's Depth of Field controls, and I'll see what I can do to learn how to render in Max and present things with Xoliul's shader.

SpecUpdate1copy.png

I may update this post with non-blurry images later today.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Dunno that metal is still coming off like it's a matte surface, you really need to lighten it up.
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input Raider. Just a quick update before I run off to the hills to discuss some contract work. I lightened up the spec map a fair bit, and I think it helped out a lot. Got my maps and model into Max with Xoliul's shader. I imagine I'll so some renders in different engines along the way, but Mental Ray didn't seem to handle my spec very well.

MarineXoliul1.png
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For no real reason, let's bring this thing back from the dead, shall we? Unfortunately, this project got completely side-lined during the Pre-Dominance War V competition, and I've just picked it back up in addition to the Unofficial Character challenge. I'm also using a modified version of this character for my "Rigging for Nubs" class, which will end up being the Captain of the squad. zSculpt renders will be forthcoming shortly.

In the meantime, I've unwrapped and thrown a texture on the Bolter (to be readdressed, I'm not happy with the way it turned out) and started getting a render setup ready to go so when I get the textures just the way I like them and build his pedestal, I won't be spending hours trying to get a decent render out of it.
    I'm still running into UV issues along particular seams, so I may end up having to go into CS4 (ugh) to take care of that, but it might also be Maya, I'll have to run some more tests to figure it out.

Incoming gigantic image:
    TurnaroundComp.png
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent some time getting this bad boy ready for a demo reel. What was going to be a simple render pedestal got way out of hand and turned into a mini environment. My next plan for this project is to get the other marines posed and in a larger environment. I played with making some decals for the pedestal to add in damage to increase the modularity of the piece, not a bad idea but needs tweaking for sure. I treated each piece as if they were to be game assets, which turned out to be great practice. The bolter's normal mapping was entirely image based, as was the battle standard. The upper part of the column was done with a mix of image based normals and high poly bake, the bottom image based normals. After finally getting the hang of zBrush, I see the value of having the high poly to bake normals off of, but I still rather enjoy the idea of using image based normals for a fast modelling/texture turnaround rate, as well as the ability to make extremely modular pieces while keeping a template model.

MarinePresentRendersmall.png
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now use crowd control in Max and animate the Squadrons assault :)

Good job :]