Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook : eY3lEs5

Replies

• MystiqueX
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Impressive work! The ground could use a little polishing (more polys) and the cloth on the right hand building looks like the texture is just stretched, but I love the atmosphere and the windows/glass design. Good job!
  • eY3lEs5
    Hi MystiqueX, thanks for the crit! I totally agree with you in regards to the floor. Tbh, it's just bsp with the texture mat placed on it :poly136:
    I'll give it some loving soon. Oh, and I love your work, thanks for stopping by :)
  • eY3lEs5
    So I'm in the planning stages to create this concept by Ryan Quackenbush into a 3D game environment. Photo credit goes to David Edwards.
    Museum_Cavern_Matte_by_RQuack.jpg
    It will be in a stylized approach, similar to Darksiders 2 and Orcs Must Die.
    This will be a training exercise in using Maya (rusty using Maya!) and Z-brush in my workflow, and then bringing everything together into the UDK gaming engine for a final render.
    LopezScott_TexturePlanning00.jpg
    I am determining which assets will share texture space, and which ones will have their own. So far, total texture usage is two 1024x1024's. I've left room for possibly more textures, as I don't want to exceed the amount of 4096x4096. I may give the foliage it's own 1024x1024, since there is so much of it, we'll see. I will be drawing a mock texture sheet for my tileable modular assets soon. Stay tuned!
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Hm, I dont think that Fantasy Alley environment is your best work so far. Lighting looks unpleasant and the props don't really stick together all that well. As goes for the lighting I would light it with more lights than just (looks like) ambient light in blue and Sunlight looking more neutral. Blue on the ground is totally fine, because the sky illuminates this. The walls shouldn't be blue. They receive bouncelight from the ground, which would be warmer on the ground and getting neutral to the top of the wall. Downfacing planes should totally receive bouncelight. Great lighting can boost your whole scene!
    Two things pop out really bad: The door on the left and the ivy. The door looks totally sticked in. Yes it is, but it is your task to make it not look like that. The ivy is a bit high saturated and perhaps a little blueish. It also looks like it is just floating 30cm in front of the wall. A second, darker layer behind the first could have helped and gave it a little more depth. There is no growth in the vines too, meaning I can't really see how it grows. No new little leafs on the outside of each branch, looks just random.

Could sound harsh, it is not meant that way. I just think you could, or can do better as we can clearly see on the pages before. I really like your workbench and the natural selection environment and I am looking forward to your newest project =) Keep it up!
  • eY3lEs5
    Hi acapulco, thanks for stopping by and for the great C&C! I don't find it harsh at all, this is the kind of stuff I need to hear so I am aware of what can be improved. I may revisit the scene and do some touch ups here and there, you definitely provided lots of great feedback on things I should work on when I do. Thanks for the kind words :)
  • eY3lEs5
    Decided to touch up the fantasy alley based on crits I've received over the weekend. Gave the floor some loving, played around with the lighting, adjusted some of the ivy in the scene, pretty much did a polish pass on it. Thanks for the crits MystiqueX and acapulco!
    LopezScott_FantasyAlley01.jpg
    LopezScott_FantasyAlley02.jpg
  • yannage
    It feels awkward that the rocks on the ground are smaller now. For people to lay out rocks on the ground that small so orderly seems less realistic than if they were a larger size. They may have been too large before, maybe something in between?

I'm not much of an environment artist, just wanted to throw out there what I saw.

Your environments are looking good, keep it up!
  • eY3lEs5
    Hi yannage, thanks for the crit! The scale of the texture on the ground was something I was constantly going back and forth on, and people I've talked to have mixed opinions as well (larger/smaller). I think you are right, something in between what I currently have and what it used to be would look nice. When I revisit this again in the near future, that will be on my list of changes to make, thanks for stopping by!
  • MystiqueX
    Offline / Send Message
    MystiqueX polycounter lvl 7
    Nice progress! Adjusting the lights and giving more shape to the ground really paid off. I'm saving this to my inspirational folder ;)
  • eY3lEs5
    Thanks MystiqueX, for stopping by and, again, for providing that critique. feelsgoodman.jpg :)
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Lighting on the 2nd shot is sooo much better, nice job Scott :)
  • eY3lEs5
    Thanks Will! Coming from you, that means a lot, thank you! Stay tuned, got some stuff heating up in the oven!