Home Technical Talk

Messy Max cloth mesh to ZBrush?

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
Hi,

I'm working on some cloth objects in Max and I though it would be nice to further detail the frozen meshes in ZBrush.

But. Max's garment maker uses Delaunay-algorithm to make the mesh used in simulation and that doesn't work very well with ZBrush, at least not out-of-box.

Any ideas or tools to make this work? I have already tried quadify mesh and many other modifiers in max to make it more ZBrush-friendly, but not with much success.

The Delaunay-mesh looks like this:

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Can you show your actual asset you're making? It's hard to suggest an approach with a vague idea of what you're making. The chances are there is a way to do this but will depend on what you're doing quite a bit. :)
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, but I can't really, it's a customer project.

Anyways, I just wondered if there is some smart tool or technique that would somehow "convert" the Delaunay-mesh. I'm sure it can be tweaked by hand, but I was looking for a more automated thing.

Fortunately it seems, that Max's own "sculpting" tools (Freeform tools) seem to work rather well with this type of mesh. I was able to smooth out parts that I didn't like and change the overall look a little without ZBrush.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    do you acutally need to use the delauney mesh und and not just a simple quadbases mesh before simulating?
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess not, but I already did, so I would lose almost a day's job if I started over again. Good to remember to avoid that next time, though.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    if you still have a flat delauney mesh and the final state of the sim, you could skinwrap a quadded version to the delauney mesh and morph to the simulated state. If the quads are somewhat similar sizes to the delauney triangles theres a slim chance it could give you something useful..Worth a try?
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like a plan!

Thanks, I will try that out during the evening. I save about every 15 minutes, so I definitely got it somewhere, but I will probably tweak this bugger in Max first. It seems like I can get away with it this time.

The thing with using a quad mesh to begin with, is that then you can't use Garment maker. I'm not sure if you can set up seams, etc. without it. Anyways, both are better ideas than what I did this time :D