Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TARDIS

Hi there everyone, my names Charlie. After about a year of telling myself daily that I wanted to learn about 3D modeling I finally started. I have made it a challenge for myself that everyday I'll do something 3D related. Whether it be a random Zbrush "Sculpt"/Monstrosity or something random in 3DS Max I want to try and get something up a day.

This piece is my first attempt and modeling something without following a direct tutorial but instead using what I've learned in others to create something of my own.

I chose Doctor Who's "Tardis" as my model because it seemed like it would be simple enough to not make me curl up in to a ball and cry while still allowing me to create something that I would actually be happy with.

Reference shot:
http://www.justjon.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/tardis-tennant.jpg

I'm trying to focus on certain areas of the 3D process so as not to overwhelm myself. I'm starting with base modeling before I move into UV, Maps and rendering. So that's why it's rendered out in Ambient Occlusion! I thought it looked nice and was far superior to the horrible renders that I seem to do without it. (I'll learn eventually).

Now Pictures: (I'm not quite sure how to show my work and if I've posted this right, if I need to edit it just let me know)
tardisupload.jpg
tardisupload.jpg
tardiswire.jpg

Few questions for everyone as well! If anyone can help it would be great.
1. When trying to clean up the vertices to fix some small caps and overlaps some of the vertex's wouldn't weld together while others would. I have no idea why though, are there certain requirements for this?

2. Does anyone have any tutorials that they like for rendering something with mental ray? I have a feeling that showing this off in the ambient occlusion map is like the equivalent of throwing some photoshop filters on a piece xD

Thanks, please rip it apart and tell me what I've done wrong so I can get better.

Replies