Home Technical Talk

my newbie zbrush questions

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hi all, I've made the move to zbrush from mudbox, so I know I'll be encountering quite a few problems that I'll need your guys help with. So I've just made this topic for any questions that come up as I go along.

Just a few problems ive encountered while learning zspheres:

- In tutorial I'm following, he has his zspheres with a two tone hemisphere sort of thing, so he can place things nicely along an equator. I can see mine only when I'm in the move tool and when I click on a zsphere. Is there a way to make them visible while placing new zspheres?

- Is there a way such that when I toggle the mesh preview with zspheres that it shows the lowest subdivision, instead of showing a default level 2 subdivision?

Thanks guys, more questions soon =[

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I don´t understand your first question, but for the second go under the Adaptive Skin tab turn down ires,mbr and the density slider.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think I know what you mean for the first one, but I don't think it would really matter as it should work nicely where ever you add the new zspheres (and you can always edit them afterwards). If you feel you do need the two-tone look for whatever sphere you're about to add one to, you could always switch to move, select it, and switch back to draw mode.

As for the subdivision, you only need to change the adaptive skin's density to 1 (classic skinning would use the other options)
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for answering guys, I got it all working.

I'm having some trouble with my first humanoid at the moment, I created a base mesh using zspheres. Now I'm running into some huge stretching and topology issues with this arm as shown below. Can anyone explain how I can fix this, will retopologising work and can I do this in zbrush? If so please explain simply for a dummy like me XD. (Ignore my bad model for now! :P)

stretchinginzbrush.jpg
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Can we see the base mesh ? You should probably go down in subdivisions, use the smooth brush to "equalize" the geometry, and rebuild the shoulder without pinching it or move topology too much on sides, just push and pull.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I just found those tutorials that cover this.
    http://www.jcappelletti.com/z3tut03/
    You could jump to the last video if you want. I personally do my retopology in max using the new graphite tools. Doing it in zbrush is not so bad but i find it easier and you have way more control over your mesh in max.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks guys, here's level 2, level 1 has nothing wrong with it, all of a sudden level 2 has this awful stretching:

armm.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Well i dont know how the level one looks like but make sure you dont have any stretched quads like the once on your shoulder now. They should all look like the once on the chest of your model- just squares.