Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My High-Poly Adventures

Replies

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
    Mike I just can't figure out the damn terrain materials, they won't show up in game, just a white mesh :( so until I figure it out the shots will remain the same I suppose, doesn't matter really, not putting that of all things in a folio hehe.

Alright so did a nose speedie, not horrible I think, was inspired by killingpeople and all his recent sculpts but this is not as good of course, but I learned a bit with this sculpt, and it's the first sculpt in my new digital sketchbook folder :)

I think I'm going to set up a livestream so that you all can crit as I sculpt, I think that'd be cool.

nosesculpt1.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

well there it is, and I should probably mention I was focusing solely on the nose and not on surrounding features, but that'll change once I get more comfortable with character sculpting.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol thanks Saso, and something completely different from a nose, a misc. concrete block thingy for a scene that I'm doing, I'm planning it to be pretty large, and I'm not sure if I made everything to extreme.

concretedecosculpt.jpg

any crits or comments are appreciated :)

edit: and this is for something bigger I hope
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    Nice updates, I am continuously seeing improvement which is awesome. I find that renders from Zbrush look better when they are in perspective, rather than isometric. I even tend to sculpt in perspective as it more accurately represents the forms of whatever your working on. Just something to think about, keep it up man.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you should definately do some more complex stuff, i see lots of squarish shapes that are very easy to pull off and not interesting at all , dont be afraid to do some more complex stuff like sci fi vehicles etc.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike: thanks a lot bro :) will try out perspective

Johny: Yeah your definetly right about that, this is for a scene that I'm working on and the next sculpt I plan on doing for it is going to be much more complex I think, and actually I plan on putting a statue of a man on top of this piece so there are some complex objects in my future :) but yeah I'm definetly gonna look for some scifi concept art once I'm through with this scene, and speaking of the scene heres the block I shouldve posted before I started sculpting,
    ampitheatherblockpic.jpg
    I'm actually thinking about taking that middle piece and scaling it and sticking it as like a border for the whole thing, instead of in the center, and keep in mind the whole thing is rather large, it's supposed to be an ancient ampitheather where people would go and watch shows and other events, the block is still even not 100% still have to add some more stuff
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update on the previous piece, lowpoly and bake situation, it's only 700 tris, but its a fairly large piece, I think I can get away with 2000 tris actually, should I go for it? or should I just leave it as is?

concretelow.jpg

again any crits or comments are welcome
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    that look awesome man @_@
    when you export your hipoly from zbrush to max .. you just optimize it to get lowpoly version ?
    good luck ;p
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ayoub: Thanks bro :) for this particular model, it didn't really seem neccessary to do a whole retopo, which would have been very boring and annoying, so I just used the decimation master plugin in Zbrush, which does a pretty good job at optimizing, you might have to do some manuel work in max after though. was And since my high poly was 7million polies (way too much for max to handle) I again used decimation master to bring it down to 1million, without much change to the detail. So yeah decimation master is awesome :)

@Mike: here's the wire buddy, sorry i haven't been on MSN in awhile, just don't wanna get distracted to much

concretelowwire.jpg

I decimated this, and since my polies were fairly even on my base mesh, I think I have a good medium between polies spent on the details and polies spent on the shilloete, although, now that you mention it though I could probably get rid of A LOT of polies :poly122: A LOT so I'll redo the decimation with a base of 2000 tris and then get rid of some more manually
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aight, hey again I decided that since I haven't done anything new for the environment, I'd explore some different approaches I could take to the sculpting, I like this one loads better than the previous

concretedecosculpt2.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks Mike, will get right on it!!!!

Alright here's another sculpt, I think I'm getting better with each sculpt
    pillarrender1.jpg

pillarrender2.jpg

pillarrender3.jpg

pillarrender4.jpg

this time a column pillar situation, perhaps too noisy, i dunno, I'll let you guys decided :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit Mike, but I actually decided to go for the other style instead haha sorry bro, but yeah here's the final hipoly decoration piece with polypaint applied, it's really not that dark, but doing a "best" render in zbrush seems to make it darker. I'm actually pretty happy with it, any crits would be awesome.

concretedecohighfinal.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I re-sculpted the pillar, and after a long fight with zbrush, finally managed to get a good lowpoly workflow, thanks to teaandcigarretes post in darkcrusader's thread, thanks man :)

pillarwip1.jpg

there it is in game, WIP of course, it's basically just the spec that needs some work, once I'm done with the pillar I'm probably going to make a thread for the scene, sorry for the horrid presentation

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Your Green channel is inverted? (LOL, it seems that I say this very often! but its 70% of the problems of why your normals don't look good when your bake came out correctly and the render looks weird!) xD
    you are progressing in your sculpting! try to use different tools and techniques to make your carvings less recognizable.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    It could be lightmaps. UDK uses a second set of textures you don't see for storing lighting information - you may have to setup a second UV channel before you export your model.

Tut: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbdOpuKqGaQ[/ame]
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hhmm, cap hotkill, I actually inverted my normal map as soon as I brought it in because the normals looked really bad then.

thanks for that vid fearian will look into it :)
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    gibson543 wrote: »
    Alright, so I re-sculpted the pillar, and after a long fight with zbrush, finally managed to get a good lowpoly workflow, thanks to teaandcigarretes post in darkcrusader's thread, thanks man :)

there it is in game, WIP of course, it's basically just the spec that needs some work, once I'm done with the pillar I'm probably going to make a thread for the scene, sorry for the horrid presentation

I feel like I have to correct myself a bit here since I made that post ages ago (and back then I used to do really shoddy job when it came to my LP's).

I don't believe there's anything wrong about using decimated meshes as your low poly. It can save you a lot of work, especially if you're working with something really organic. However, for something this simple I think it would be more efficient to retopo by hand; optimizing a decimated mesh properly can take as much time as retopologizing it.

Anyways, I will get to the column. The biggest issue I've noticed is that each segment is a separate chunk of geometry. While that could be useful in some cases (creating modular variations, etc.) it seems a bit pointless in your case. It seems that it only causes problems. Fore instance, if you're going to use low resolution lightmap the black shadows (from areas between the segments) will bleed over to lit areas creating ugly smoothing visible on your model.

The more efficient solution would be to model the main part of the column as one piece. That would give you cleaner lightmaps. Then, you could tris to the areas that actually need them.

Sorry for sounding a bit harsh, but I felt that the post you mentioned was very misleading. I hope that this makes more sense :)

Btw: you can disable that AO haloing by going into the World Settings and disabling Allow Ambient Occlusion. Its default settings look rather bad in most cases.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe, to be honest tea, the entire column is a single mesh, the pieces where it appears gone is just inset geo. And actually, decimating it worked wonders, way faster than i retopoed it (I did two tests). And I really didn't even manually edit it, I took the base decimation (about 6,000 tris) from zbrush and then using pro-optmizer brought it down to about 1000 tris, while getting rid of those tiny tris, worked pretty well I think. And I will definetly turn off AO
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    gibson543: Oh well, I knew there was a chance I could be wrong about it :p But regardless, my other points remain valid. Those insets are unnecessary here and don't add much to the silhouette. They appear to be the main cause of that odd shadowing you're getting.

By retopologizing a mesh like this I didn't really mean using something complex, like Topogun or 3d Coat. That's not required in this case. I was speaking about modelling it in Max using simple primitives. There's not much precision required here, you could easily eyeball the mesh and then use Max Retopo to make it fit HP tighter.

Hope that helps :) Keep on cracking.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks tea :), will test how the model looks without the insets, and I will definetly try that low poly technique for my next asset, thanks a bunch :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh aand uh the pic I posted before is a good example, but whats up with the purple? my spec is yellow-green, and it doesn't appear that way in the model/materail editor, just in-game. anyone know whats up?
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    decowip1.jpg

aight so yeah, decided to halt the pillar for a lil bit to work on the deco, and I think this is final, I'm actually pretty happy with it. And crits would be awesome

specwipdeco.jpg

spec (not actual size)

diffwipdeco.jpg

diffuse. God I really don't like gimp :( oh well. crits on the textures would be cool to.

thanks guys :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aight so I didn't like my other diffuse so well, so I decided to do another polypaint. I know I keep doing the same things over and over but I really want to perfect my workflow before I move on.

decoppaint.jpg

I think it'll look cool with some good ole xnormal cavity and AO.

any crits or comments would be awesome :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like that last UDK shot of the deco is the final, just because my workflow is so bad I can't get that polypaint out (long story)

but. I did take tea's advice for not using decimations for the pillar, I retopoed it in zbrush, and it's 404 tris. 207 verts. The shots below are taken from the max viewport xoliul shader.

pillarlowsolid.jpg

pillarlowwire.jpg

any comments or crits would be awesome :)

thanks and happy holidays
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update? on the gas pump?? lol wut.

Well yeah, saw it collecting dust, and I'm gonna finish this shit. Shouldn't take me much longer. I remember I was deathly afraid of the pump itself, and I tried like 3 times to do it, but couldnt figure it out, and I did it today in like an hour, I think thats an improvement :)

pumphi.jpg

oh and its my 14th birthday. Yay :)
  • Hoopla!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hoopla! polygon
    happy birthday buddy!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks bro, so yeah i wanted to do something that wasnt for my environment, so I decided to do a quick dumpster, and I tried out a quick unwrap and bump map but eh, I'm not sure I'm liking it.

dumpsterhighrender.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hookay more stuffs, high poly model of some scifi turret, concept by artist kaZZanTIP http://cghub.com/images/view/22406/

here's the model, still WIP have still have the rails and the actual guns to do
    scifiturretrender1.png

• yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    hey gibson543, check this, you asked for some matcaps, here you have one of the largest archives out there. hope it helps:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=46175

keep up the good work :D
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike - Fixed, thanks man

yodude - hey thanks for the link man I've actually been there a few times, my matcap collection has grown a fair bit because of it :) thanks

scifiturrentrender.jpg

almost finished with the hipoly, just need the rail and I'll be doing the final renders and moving on to the low poly

so yeah, Modo's renderer is fucking amazing...thanks to Pedro for giving me some help with it. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the shadows from my floaters and get rid of the speckled specular
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scifiturrentrender.jpg

so yeah final hi poly render
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    looking really cool. funny enough i have a friend who showed me just yesterday he was working on the same model. :D