Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Outer Space Bounty Hunter

Hey Guys, I modeled a character for character forge challenge at cghub. Marco Marzzoni was kind enough to make an concept for me. Since the deadline was so tight I had to assemble the character quickly. Now since the contest is over I want to push this piece beyond my Balrog model. For now I need to raise his right knee higher and make the metal edges on the armor worn. I'll add early pictures of my renders so you can get a better idea of my progress.

Marco Concept:
Bounty5.jpg

model:
ZBrush-Document.jpg

old render:
finhunter.jpg

new render:
finhunter-3.jpg

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Makes me think of something from a Metal Gear Solid game, most notably the heels/metal claws on the feet, and the mask.
    I like it
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    awesome. i love the wool/fabric parts
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    The fabric looks great! But your metal is coming off a lot like stone or concrete. Great hard surface modeling.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    f-ing Sweeeeet model. the hip kick pose makes me think its a chick though. (which isnt a bad thing, its just doesnt have any other female features that support the pose)

and dude, you forgot the most fun part. All the little decals, like logos, and informational/operational lables.

the diversity of material types is reaaally nice.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty cool there. Keep it up!
  • Loraine Howard iii
    HonkyPunch-thanks, I said the same thing too about the feet.

dejawolf-:)

Sectaurs-thanks, I actually did those parts quick.

ErichWK-thanks, I'm fixing those textures now.

Hboybowen-thanks dude, just keep on practicing you will get there:)

konstruct- yeah I meant for it to be a man, but right now I really don't care which gender it is. I plan on adding decals to him soon. thanks, the materials need more work though.

dang87-thanks

SasoChicken-Thanks, I might make the boxes a a little smaller. I want the boxes to be made of a hard plastic material.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey guys here's an update. Trying to make the surfaces look more worn.Don't pay attention to the collar piece in the second picture, it needs more work. I'll probably take a break from this and tweak the pose.

jj2-1.jpg

jj2.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    wait- that wasn't his forehead? i think you should tone the bumpmapping on the scalp piece down, currently it looks a lot like skin.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    skayne- The material is painted metal. I want the painted parts to be matte.

dejawolf-I'll tone it down some
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I think the model looks better than the concept, that's really hard to do. Despite the bulky armor he still looks very movable, a rare quality. Those arms r going to be tough bringing together with that should pad, however.

The model falls short translating the graphic quality, not just in values but also in color. There's no 'pop'... no coolness (imo). Materials look too much like stone, especially his "pouches". Relief aside, this is also a matter of the diffuse itself and the low-freq details implying stoney surface.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    this is the material I'm trying to achieve.
    figure01.jpg

skayne- I'll tweak the spec map more to make the painted parts seem less matte

shotgun- thanks, I'll tweak all of those parts and add some pop, just give me a couple of days.:\ As far as the shoulder pads, not sure what I'll do with those.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, despite the roughed-up texture, the shine is pretty smooth. Ur surface really has stoney details, too many little bumps and jagged edges. U handle them well but - perhaps in ur pursuit for detail - it works against u in this case.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Shotgun- To me I think the surface texture would be more rough than the image I posted. I imagine my Hunter traveling through all kinds of weather including sand storms. Due to wear and I tear I think his metal armor surface would look more stone like in certain areas. I might tone down the normal map some, plus you wont even see all of my detail in the final image because the image will be further away.
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    I think your colors are not giving your sculpt justice. It is a great sculpt, but something about the texture is just not working with your sculpt/normals.
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    I think regarding the stone/metal conversation, I'm not sure that metal would pit and crack in the way you have it. Which is perhaps why it looks like a softer material than metal.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    do that matte effect in the spec- some noise, in a subtle spec map does wonders, vs. that aggressive bump map like you have.

Also I see your trying to do the worn edges thing, but I don't think your completely nailing all the components that make up the effect:

It seems to me your taking an extremly aggressive noise texture and dropping it right on to your metal material, THEN you go in and hand paint even more noise, that's localized on the edges. (wear and tear style)

I think the approach is on the right track minus the first step of starting with and incredibly noisy base. When ever I`m making a metal that is worn like yours, I always start with a muted, near plain metal- and this is used for 80% of the texture, THEN I go in and use a painted alpha mask to drop in all the wear. Keep in mind wear doesn't only mean edge chipping. try droping some subtle warm notes in the crevices to drive a little rust effect.

Also I really like the material breakup, but seeing the hose use almost the exact same material type as the metal armor makes me saaaaaad. :P

PS: for such a high caliber model, you GOTTA do something about that UV stretching.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    konstruct- I'll take some of your advice. As far as the uv stretching it's not a problem, those parts will be covered up once I add more stuff.

grimmrobe-Yep, I'll tone down the normal and get rid of some of the scratches.

d2king10-Thanks,I'm gonna stick to colors I'm using already, I think I need a better selection of materials instead of the matte metal (rock) one I'm using.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    I know I'm jumping the gun here, but I fooled around with some hdr images. I also tweaked the metal pieces, minus the piece up top and hoses. Which one do you guys like more.

sample_forest.jpg

sample_alley.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    CRAZY....LOVING ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey guys here's another update. I decided to go with a more bold color scheme. I did a paintover of my render to see where I might head next. I don't intend this to be the final view, still trying to find the perfect angle. Check it out and tell me what you think.

hunt.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow great work!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is pretty late in the game but I think what's bringing the "pop" down is not the colors per-se but the design or placement of the colors: u've got too many different materials that share similar values and colors. This doesn't help distinguish the already vast array of shapes u've got going on (yes, marzonni doesn't come clean out of this also)

My thinking was this:
    - Yellow pop inside black/helmet material inside grey metal
    - Ammunition/weapons related = red touch
    - Kill all others

sicko.gif

Frankly I couldn't find a good scheme for those pouches but o well.
    Other things u wonna consider:
    - Keep the big white stuff to the face, nowhere else
    - Blocky boxes for pouches = passe' (+ it doesn't fit this design but ye, i know, marco did it so...)
    - Avoid more than 1 grey material!
  • Loraine Howard iii
    SasoChicken-thanks dude

TeriyakiStyle-thanks, I'll brighten the tubes

Klumpmeister-thanks

shotgun- thanks for the paintover, I don't agree with some of your color choices but I like what you did with the logo on the holster and grenades. I'll have an update soon.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That pose is very....effeminate.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Another update, still have a couple more things to fix. don't pay attention to the bland neck brace,bland boxes, and stretched logo on shoulders. Keep you guys posted

4-1.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i think the black needs some env reflection in it or something so it doesnt look like high density foam or a similarly weird thing
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very good concept to work from, very good highpoly source, but the texturing is killing it all. I suppose that if your goal is to make high end renders (mental ray...) its fine. But if you plan to make it a game model, you need much cleaner texturing and more careful material definition. You also need to make your AO pass a 'creamy' as possible - here it looks like you skipped that step altogether.

Then again - it really depends on the intent.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    SasoChicken-yeah I went crazy with sharpen filter

Harry-I'll fix that

pior-Thanks, I only intend to make this a high poly model. I'm still fine tuning, and adding textures. next post he will look better.
  • Sampsonite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing concept loraine and high poly model looks great
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Sampsonite-thanks alot

Hey guys still not finished yet, but I put together a progress picture. I'm sitting here cracking up to myself over the early version of my hunter. I think it good to sit back and reflect on your work.biggrin2.gif
    I used the burn tool on the green parts, to make the figure as a whole pop more. I plan on scratching the orange parts to give them more detail,make the hexagon pattern more cohesive throughout the model, and I also need to figure out whats blowing the cloth material in the render. Still have a lot more stuff to do, I won't stop until I'm happycool2.gif

finhunter-4.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I much prefer the middle version.

the hexagonal pattern really stands out and doesn't feel natural
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Sectaurs-I plan on making the hexagon pattern more cohesive throughout the model. I'll probably make all of the hexagon's the size they are on the stomach pipes
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those square boxes could totally go and he would have like +20 agility. Those things at his waist are totally in his way if you think about him as a real person moving around.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    those pouches need detail touches look a bit rendery at mo
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Hope you don't mind a paintover:

po.jpg

The suit felt a little all over the place with too many shapes and materials. Simplified that and tried to jazz up the helm a bit more to get it in line with the rest of the suit. Also switched up the colors.

Take from it whatever you want. Great project and great dedication so far.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    thanks guys for all the feedback.

crazyfingers-thanks for the paint over but I think I'm gonna head in a different direction.:)

Still not done, but I'm getting close to finishing the model. Don't pay attention to the background, I want to go for a more painterly look. So far I like where I'm headed with the character. still have things to tweak like the holster and couple other things, might add more logos. In this update I made the green assets, and grenade holder darker. I added text to the grenades, made the hexagon pattern smaller and less noticeably beside the top pipes I forgot.

huntpass1.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    Heh, thought Crazyfingers killed the thread.

Looks, cool. Love the textures and I mean textures, not maps, except for the ankle protectors. Those look odd. Where is his BFG?
  • Loraine Howard iii
    P442- Thanks,the thread is still alive... Still adding stuff I might change the ankle guards up. Right know I'm trying a low key light setup.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Another quick update, I changed the light setup. I'll attach a comparison picture too. I'm Still fixing things, at least I'm getting closer.cool2.gif

huntpass2.jpg

huntpass3.jpg
  • bowplane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats, I'm a student so I apologize for gushing but your work is inspiring to say the least. If you have a snipit of time perhaps you could clue me in to your technique for your scratch here. Is it in the normals? Diffuse? If you don't have time to explain maybe you could post a link to some good tutorials. Cheers.
    jj2.jpg
  • Loraine Howard iii
    bowplane- Thank you, I used alpha 58 in zbrush for the scratch on side and on the rest of the armor as well. I used that alpha with the standard brush with freehand on.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    I'm finally finished, I want to say thanks to everybody for pushing me in the right direction. Like before this was a great learning process. I learned so much about texturing metal throughout the making of this character, and learned new techniques as well. I rendered a huge picture but had to make it smaller to fit the guide lines. Thanks guysbiggrin2.gif

it.jpg
  • Loraine Howard iii
    here's a link to the high res version of my character.

http://img42.imageshack.us/f/itbig.jpg/

• d_woo77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing! The detail is incredible.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Love it! How this came along from the first iteration to this, thats great!
  • JonathanF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanF polycounter lvl 13
    thats sick man!
  • Loraine Howard iii
    d_woo77-Thank you

ErichWK- Thanks, kinda funny to look back at the older version:)

JonathanF- Thanks dude