Home Technical Talk

First Sculpt/Zbrush issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Billz polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

This is my first ever sculpt in Zbrush. I started with a sphere and didn't use any references at all for this one. I was really just trying to get comfortable with the tools more than make anything proportional or 'good'. I ended up with something fairly decent though so I thought I'd post it.

Also, I'm having an issue with Zbrush. I was working on it last night and saved the document, but now it seems that I can't edit it anymore. I read around google and from what I understand, because I didn't save the tool I was using, it just saved my work as a 2d image instead? I saved the tool in an earlier build, but when I stepped up to level 3 I don't think I resaved the tool as I didn't think I needed to. Anyhow, anyone know if I can continue to edit this object or is it lost forever in 2.5D space to serve as a lesson for not saving the tool?

Here it is...

billymfirstsculpt.jpg

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    It's lost to 2.5D, although your earlier save should still be there, saved as a .ZTL. RTFM is the best advice I can give you, because Zbrush is a bit of a weird beast when it comes to UI and any standard conventions you might be used to.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Also, I'm having an issue with Zbrush. I was working on it last night and saved the document, but now it seems that I can't edit it anymore. I read around google and from what I understand, because I didn't save the tool I was using, it just saved my work as a 2d image instead?

Correct, the document is just the 2d workspace. You'll want to save the model as a ztool. Newer versions give this warning and a choice when saving the document.
  • Billz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Billz polycounter lvl 6
    Ahh I see, thanks guys. It was really just to get comfortable with the tools anyway and learn the program. And nothing teaches better then irreversable(sp?) mistakes.

Side note: Does anyone find it wierd that Zbrush kinda says F#%& the system and does it's own thing in terms of UI, and yet still manages to be the go to tool for sculpting(along with mudbox) ? I mean, Mudbox is a bit more user friendly if your coming from a program like maya or 3ds for navigation, yet it seems like the majority of artists prefer going the Zbrush route. Any insight on this? I mean, they seem to be nearly equally powered, and Mudbox still being in it's early childhood stages you'd think that it would be the preferred program. Even I find myself wanting to use Zrush more for some odd reason. Any thoughts on that?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Side note: Does anyone find it wierd that Zbrush kinda says F#%& the system and does it's own thing in terms of UI, and yet still manages to be the go to tool for sculpting(along with mudbox) ? I mean, Mudbox is a bit more user friendly if your coming from a program like maya or 3ds for navigation, yet it seems like the majority of artists prefer going the Zbrush route. Any insight on this? I mean, they seem to be nearly equally powered, and Mudbox still being in it's early childhood stages you'd think that it would be the preferred program. Even I find myself wanting to use Zrush more for some odd reason. Any thoughts on that?

No. ZBrush really isn't that complicated or confusing in it's approach once you spend a little time in it (I think it's actually a really simple UI now). You just need to learn the difference between the document and the tool, and why people would want to work in the document/save it. Beyond that, it's just a matter of bringing in a model, turning on edit, and then editing it. It's been powerful for years and it keeps getting better.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Half the time I feel like Pixologic is just reinventing the wheel so that they can call it a ZDisc. The UI gets fucked because they implement their features in ways that people don't really expect them to work. Once you understand how the features function, the UI starts to make a little more sense.

It's been a while since I used Mudbox but I've always preferred ZBrush mainly for performance reasons.