Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P. Next/This-Gen Gun For UDK Crits Please!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Trevion3D polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys!, Been working on this custom gun for UDK, planning on Going the whole 9 on this, getting it animated and Scripted.

Just started Zbrushing it thought i'd Get some feedback.

WIP_GUN_SHOT_1.jpg

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Is that supposed to be a spare mag with a funky floorplate on the front rail?

If it is, it's missing feed lips and the top cartridge.

EDIT: also missing a slide release on the left side.

You know you're paranoid about stupid federal laws and the jerks that hunt people down over them, when the first thing you think when you look at that render is, "that's an unregistered AOW worth a 10 year federal sentence..."
    :poly141:
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, not really digging the design. It looks like a basic Glock with a mag or something stuck on the tactical rail. The scratches also seem pretty weird. It looks like it was cut with a knife, not abuse from standard wear.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    How's this gun even supposed to work? Does the magazine in front serve any practical purpose for this type of gun?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Agree with the others here, when you design something new, you still want it to be practical.

And i think the part here seams realy blobby and unrealistic.
    UjuBw.jpg
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How's this gun even supposed to work? Does the magazine in front serve any practical purpose for this type of gun?

I think it must be some kind of spare magazine holder, since theres no why it could physically feed ammo into the gun in that position.
  • Krazy8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    You know you're paranoid about stupid federal laws and the jerks that hunt people down over them, when the first thing you think when you look at that render is, "that's an unregistered AOW worth a 10 year federal sentence..." :poly141:

First thing I noticed that it was an AOW lol.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I thought it was a grip for your other hand, leading me to believe it was a machine pistol... It makes perfect sense in that context! :)
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I think the general consensus here is that no one has a concrete idea what the heck the part on the front is supposed to be. Is it a clip? Is it a grip? Does it actually serve a purpose?
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin wrote: »
    I think the general consensus here is that no one has a concrete idea what the heck the part on the front is supposed to be. Is it a clip? Is it a grip? Does it actually serve a purpose?

Hmm I haden't thought that it might be a grip, it dosen't look very comfortable. If it is a grip it'd look better like this. (IMO) Though the gun looks pretty small and theres not alot of wiggle room for holding onto it with your other hand.

wipgunshot1.jpg
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    GoodDreams wrote: »
    Hmm I haden't thought that it might be a grip, it dosen't look very comfortable. If it is a grip it'd look better like this. (IMO) Though the gun looks pretty small and theres not alot of wiggle room for holding onto it with your other hand.

wipgunshot1.jpg

Yeah I agree it if it's a clip I don't know how it would load or function, and if its a grip I can't see it being very comfortable. I'm thinking it's just a metal piece for the sake of a metal piece maybe?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    If that's supposed to be a spare mag that doubles as a foregrip for when you full-auto/burst the thing, I'd like to see it go farther back to line up with the extended trigger-guard and I'd like to see the angles of the mag and rail-clip match that of the trigger-guard.

It looks like you're going for a grip kind of like the fold-down raffica grip, with the extended trigger-guard functioning as part of the foregrip.

I'd also add the magazine 'foot' that mounts it on the rail to be mirrored on the mag on the gun to make the function more obvious and apparent.

I think I've figured out what clever shit you're trying to do with your gun, but I'm not sure, and when you're doing something clever you really want to make it visually obvious what is going on.

e: paintover to demonstrate. Also when I do this it becomes apparent that the rail-clip needs to be modified a bit so it looks like it fits into the bottom better/reads better upside down. I also extended the trigger guard forward a bit more.

adjustments.jpg

e2: also moving the guard back makes it read better - one of the things I've found is that you need some barrel extending forward or else guns don't read as guns. Even just a little snub helps.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wish there was a wider range of colors. look at concept art from Breach. This looks like the same style.
  • Trevion3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree with the others here, when you design something new, you still want it to be practical.

And i think the part here seams realy blobby and unrealistic.
    UjuBw.jpg

Yeah I was still working on that, cant seem to find a good way to make that side grip piece, any tips on that?

gmfg-gmf-9-1i.jpg

lol to you guys trying to figure that piece out its just a spare mag, and for this project i was just going to make a regular glock and script it and animate it but that seemed a little boring so i thought i'd add a little bit to it.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevion3D wrote: »
    lol to you guys trying to figure that piece out its just a spare mag

I dunno, it sounds like you're just trying to come up with a reason for it being there now lol. In that picture you can clearly see the rail clip on the bottom of the inserted mag, and the spare mag obviously looks like a magazine, whereas yours dosen't seem to have any type of feed system for the ammo, it's just flat on the bottom.

Plus, i'd question the practicality or rather the useability of having a spare mag clipped on there in the first place. Much easier to just have spare clips on a belt or in a holster, having a spare one clipped to the gun dosen't really have a whole lot of advantages.
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Since the mag in front isn't helping the design you may as well leave it out. This is why doing drawings/sketches of the concept and/or using references beforehand is very important.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I was asked by someone anonymous to post this:

shit-tyrone-get-it-together.jpg

Honestly, the model LOOKS solid, just doesn't make a lot of sense logically adding things that won't work. There are too many guys on here who know the ins and outs of how guns look, work, and fire on this forum to expect to get away with that kind of stuff.
  • Trevion3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so i should get rid of it?

lol maybe instead of an extra magazine maybe it can hold a chicken Drumstick in case you get hungry.

WIP_GUN_SHOT_1_CHICKEN.jpg
  • Trevion3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL Ryan, im learning!!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    annoying image-macroing aside,
    It has plenty of good real-world precendence, like the 93R.
    aau3pc.jpg

Look up Dillinger's arsenal too, there's a badass pic of a custom full-auto 1911 that he grafted a tommy gun foregrip onto for control.
    Don't lose your nerve, the mag as grip is one of the only things keeping this pistol looking unusual right now, it'd be idiotic to ditch it.

Positing his gun as a full-auto variant, a mag foregrip is a nice way to change up the silhouette. A foregrip can be a little risky on a normal gun frame, but people do use it--more than good enough for this.

But comments are right about a couple of key features missing or needing some work.

- I think the ejection port is a little too far forward. Realize that the rear edge of the ejection port is the edge of the barrel/chamber on a pistol--with it as far forward on your gun as it is, that means a very short barrel.

- The slide and overall scifi detailing does seem kind of random, but this is how these things go. For some reason the circle-indents work for me,I would like to see you clean up and clarify the overall design using the indents as a motif, as well as for the grip detailing.

- trigger is too skinny, edges of it look sharp, not enough structure. the material read isnt there yet.

Otherwise keep drifting it just a little more off the stock glock look and you'll do well.
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    Trevion3D wrote: »
    so i should get rid of it?

lol maybe instead of an extra magazine maybe it can hold a chicken Drumstick in case you get hungry.

Ah ah ah , interesting for long-term operations, where i can buy it?!!

More seriously i agree with blvdnights, it's difficult (for lot of people i think) to understand that the mag is just clipped on it and it break the gun design i think too.
  • Trevion3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so i got rid of it,

WIP_SHOT_2_with_andwithout.jpg

I was kinda liking the silhouette that it originally had but if it's not correct
    and hurting the design ill get rid of it.

It's alot better without it right?
  • grimmrobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimmrobe polycounter lvl 9
    Ummmmm can I be a dissenting voice? I'm no guns expert but... think I like the thing on the end. You're right about it having a nice silhouette (I particularly like Ghostscape's slight alteration of it's position.) And since I'm sure it could have some potential utility I would say go with it. It makes your gun in its own way unique, and I'm a fan of that.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    More seriously i agree with blvdnights, it's difficult (for lot of people i think) to understand that the mag is just clipped on it and it break the gun design i think too.
    No, it's only difficult for obsessive gun nuts who nitpick every single millimetre of the damn thing.

Normal people would just look at it and say "Oh hey, a spare mag on front, that's handy". Normal people don't know what an actual mag looks like, so they'd assumed anything in that general shape is a mag.

And even gun nuts will assume it's a mag they just like to whine about it anyways.

Ghostscape's paintover was the best. Pulling the spare mag back makes it read much better while still keeping the cool silhouette.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Listen to Gauss and me we're clearly pro as fuck, everyone else is a hater :)

like I said, extend the trigger guard forward slightly, and bring the magazine back a bit, and make sure the mag that is loaded has the same rail clip and you'll be good. Gauss has a number of useful crits as well.

The 93R Raffica is a modified Beretta 92 with an extended trigger guard that you loop your thumb into, which, when combined with that little fold down piece, provides significant recoil reduction while maintaining a compact frame. With the mag up front you lose some of the tight framework but you get something interesting looking and with the practical use of quickly having a mag handy.
  • Mind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mind triangle
    You're probably right about "normal peoples" but personally, although I find it useful, I find it ugly (the mag), but a gun is not supposed to be beautiful either, finally, by modifying it a bit, I think the matches will be nice
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc wrote: »
    No, it's only difficult for obsessive gun nuts who nitpick every single millimetre of the damn thing.

Normal people would just look at it and say "Oh hey, a spare mag on front, that's handy".

Sorry, I don't see "as long as people are too stupid to notice, you can get away with bad design" as being an adaquate solution.

Once he said it was intended to be a spare mag, I pointed out some very obvious facts. One, it dosen't look like a mag. At all. Two, theres no clip on the bottom of the inserted mag, which would make it much more obvious what the intended purpose is.

Three, I don't see the advantage of having a clip attatched to your gun. It's not any more convienient than having one attatched to your belt.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I like it, I think it looks cool, fuck realism 8)

but you could play around with the position a bit, make it look like a a standard clip...
  • Trevion3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape wrote: »

adjustments.jpg

e2: also moving the guard back makes it read better - one of the things I've found is that you need some barrel extending forward or else guns don't read as guns. Even just a little snub helps.

so this is whats best for this piece?

I do think it looks a bit Better and if its more logical that way then ill
    go for it.

ill go and change that after some starcraftin' lol

Thanks for the Feedback!
  • JValencia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    Freak'en Trevion.

If you want an interesting silhouette, why not go with this?
    http://residentevil.wikia.com/Red9

Not the gun shape itself, but the stock attached to it.

As for that clip in the front, ditch it. The views are pretty divided and although I agree with "fuck realism" (too bad we can't click like on people's posts like in Facebook) when someone is going to see it in your portfolio, your going to run the risk of them saying "Why is that thing in the front? I don't get it" and that COULD distract them from looking at the beauty of the gun itself.

So you run the risk of having that feature distract too much OR people will think it was a fucking brilliant idea to put it there. Idk. Give or take, there it is.

Oh, and all of the dark grey area looks a bit blobby. Polish'
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should change the mag to what was suggested by Ghostscape. The issue to the so called "gun nuts" is that the magazine has no discernable top or bottom to tell what it is. I.e. the top (which becomes the bottom since its attached upside down) should have an opening and presumedly a bullet allowing you to tell that is the top. That combined with the too far forward ejection port made it appear that this mag was used to fire the weapon, making the design ambiguous. Also the designs on the mag are frivolous and take even further away from the perception of what a magazine should be. Just because you throw lights and grooves onto something and call it futuristic doesn't mean it makes sense (not as much directed at you as to all "futuristc" weapons). The shapes on the mag serve no function and don't add to silhoutte; make it recognizable before you add your own flair. I don't personally like a few of the details, namely the thumb indentations look small and squashed, the way the texture on the rear of the grip is squashed towards the bottom (as seen from the side), the texture panel right below the trigger guard seems oddly sized/placed (move it to the center of the indentation if nothing else), and the trigger itself just looks odd and uncomfortable. I realize it is meant to imitate the Glock safety trigger, but the curve is too shallow and from the 3/4 view doesnt seem to have much thickness. Finally, there's no slide lock, magazine release (very important!) or any sort of pins/screws holding the internals in; if you have the breakdown lever on the front, you need a way to take the rest of it apart. I do think your model looks clean and I do like the details on the slide, but I think you need to think about the design more before you go crazy detailing something that may not make sense from a mechanical standpoint.

And for everyone who whines about the people who know guns and weapon design trying to get people to design things realistically; I mean if someone if supposedly making a toyota camry and it looks like a humvee, people will tell the maker it is not right. You are making something reprisentative of a physical object that is bound by the rules of a physical universe, you can't just throw pipes on it and expect people to think it does anything. If I am modeling a vacuum and it doesn't have a way to suck in dirt, I've obviously designed something wrong. (This is not directed at you Trevion, just people in general who complain about the "gun nuts")
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    acc wrote: »

Normal people would just look at it and say "Oh hey, a spare mag on front, that's handy". Normal people don't know what an actual mag looks like, so they'd assumed anything in that general shape is a mag.

And even gun nuts will assume it's a mag they just like to whine about it anyways.

Ghostscape's paintover was the best. Pulling the spare mag back makes it read much better while still keeping the cool silhouette.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvhbR08n-L4[/ame]
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mate, from a practical point of view (I use a pistol regularly) just flip the magazine the right way up (exposed gaps you don't want are very bad! especially around the mag) and just make an attachment on the front that it clips in/out of and use the earlier crits about the trigger guard and mag position. Also an upside down mag requires an arm twist, slowing down the mag change.

Also, upside down mag = lost rounds :D
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's your gun do as you wish with it, if the gun nuts want to nitpick then let them. This is a made up gun and not a real one so its open to anything you want. Take a look at half the guns in most games now days alot of them aren't even correct to spec. Take the crits with a grain of salt and maybe for some ideas but at the end of the day just have fun and try to improve. Your next model will always be better so don't change your guns ideas just because a few guys told you it wouldn't work. If that was the case with everything then we would never of had airplanes or cars for that matter. "That's never going to work", Maybe people should post more feedback on shapes and scratchs rather then if its going to work in the real world like that.

Some of your forms need to be a little more thought out and your surface details need to feel more like active wear and tear rather then some random brushes.

I will try to post a picture up later of my ideas.

Keep it up man.
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's your gun do as you wish with it, if the gun nuts want to nitpick then let them. This is a made up gun and not a real one so its open to anything you want. Take a look at half the guns in most games now days alot of them aren't even correct to spec.

There's a big difference between making a completely fictionalized weapon, and making one that obviously lends its design to real world weapons like the Glock. When you base something on realistic principles and concepts, expect it to be judged as such. I wasen't describing at length how the firing assembly worked, with little pictures and page long comments. The issues with his model were plainly obvious, and he's corrected them or plans to so its not even an issue anymore.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    GoodDreams wrote: »
    There's a big difference between making a completely fictionalized weapon, and making one that obviously lends its design to real world weapons like the Glock. When you base something on realistic principles and concepts, expect it to be judged as such. I wasen't describing at length how the firing assembly worked, with little pictures and page long comments. The issues with his model were plainly obvious, and he's corrected them or plans to so its not even an issue anymore.

as usual the anti "gun-nuts" are speaking on behalf of others because apparently technical critique is just this huge problem, like, let's try to keep the feedback restricted to "that looks cool" or "that doesn't look cool" hay guyz
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    horrid-scyfy-paintover.jpg

Theres my pretty horrid paint over as for my suggestions.

One thing that wont translate with that picture is to have the forward grip be hollow and open backed kind of like a reverse break front holster so the shooter could just hook the bottom of the mag and snap back and down then slap up to reload.

On a side note, seriously guys? Like every other gun thread seemingly there's a huge derailing argument about gun nuts vs anti-gun-nuts. There are some people that are way into it certain technical modeling specializations, and others that aren't able to and/or don't want to understand the in depth nature to which some study it.
    Bottom line both parties need to get over it.
    The OP can decide for him/her self whether or not they want to take very critical advice or to ignore it. There doesn't need to be a heated argument in every other gun thread where someone says,
    "ignore douchebag A because he cares too much about x topic"
    "Oh, yeah, ignore douchebag B because he cares too much about me caring too much about x topic", and the cycle repeats itself.
    (I'm not calling anyone a douchebag, its just to illustrate the arguments that are basically taking place)
  • Monolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monolith polycounter lvl 18
    With the loss of some of the earlier Pictures it's hard to see where the discussion started or what the Intention was but I guess the front Grip was supposed to be the Magazine in it's final "feeding" Position?

If that's the cause then I'd suggest the following:
    1. Construct the area where the Clip is beeing inserted as something that doesn't look like it can be removed - There is absolutely no reason to ever remove the mechanic to hold the magazine and feed the gun.

2. Looking at your Gun the Idea of a front loaded Mechanism won't but that has already been discussed to death without providing a solution.
    My Idea would be to to have 4 Areas for the Gun ( from Top to Bottom ):
    - A Gunsleigh with the Barrel and Firing Pin inside.
    - A Gunframe 'A' with the Spring inside to move the Gunsleigh back.
    - Another Gunframe 'B' with a Tunnel and transportation mechanism large enough for the Bullets to move from the front ( Clip ) to the back ( Grip ) of the gun like a PumpGun.
    - The Ammoclip at the front and the Pistole Grip in the back with the trigger in-between.

Maybe something similiar to the HK G11 with a mechanism to turn ( the Caseless ) Bullets.

3. There's something that just bothered me and that's the halfter.
    How do you plan to halfter the Weapon? A simple leather one wouldn't work as the gun would fall out of it so maybe you'd need a rail concept on which the gun attaches to.
  • krimzondestiny
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    I was asked by someone anonymous to post this:

shit-tyrone-get-it-together.jpg

Honestly, the model LOOKS solid, just doesn't make a lot of sense logically adding things that won't work. There are too many guys on here who know the ins and outs of how guns look, work, and fire on this forum to expect to get away with that kind of stuff.

Thanks for posting that image, it is very educational and helpful to cg artists everywhere. I didn't realize you could get negative in Jeopardy. Question, does Tyrone owe Jeopardy $1600?
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    They make forward grips with flashlights that mount to pica tinny rails, its basically that just adjusted to go on a glock front rail. The only difference is, is to let it store a spare mag, like some grips do.

ItacGrip.gif
  • mbullister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbullister polycounter lvl 18
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    ok yea it sounds cool im just saying technically makes no since to me. refer to my images on the first page

Okay, I'll bite.

I *think* what you're trying to say with your images on the first page is that the spare magazine can't be used to fire from where it is in the foregrip. Am I right?

It's a spare. You don't store a spare tire on the axle, you store it in the boot and put it on the axle when you need it.

Or am I completely missing your point?