Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP UDK: Hallway From Deadspace

Replies

• jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    lightingtest.jpg

Here is my latest pass at the lighting. I'm going to go back and redo/update some of the materials at the point as I have learned a lot more about them and need to correct some mistakes.

I am shying away from making this an out right "horror" hallway. I think if I were to have gone that route I would have needed to make some design changes to the hallway itself early on, andi t would be stupid at this point to scrap what I got when I already have a solid concept to work off of.

I'm just going to try and re-enforce the current look and feel, and hopefuly start working towards wrapping this up, then maybe I will get back to the view outside the window after I get this interior done.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Quick suggestion, to avoid a horror hallway feel, perhaps add some materials on the floor to suggest that the tattered cloth and hole in the window will be repaired? I love the direction you are taking this.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply man. I am going to put something on the floor, pretty sure its going to be a thick black cable. I think having the window broken with this lighting adds some interest and also makes things a bit mysterious.

I hope its not off message though. If anyone thinks its more distracting/confusing than it is a contributor to the "mysterious" nature of the scene let me know. I'd be interested to see how other people perceive it.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    messypaintover.jpg

Okay guys work caught up with me for 1 week and I wasn't really able towork on this. Which was probably good. This project has been kicking my ass. Turns out environments can eat you alive.

But that's cool, I'm going to do my best to finish this. I just keep learning so much about composition, what's important, and what's not.

I just hope you guys can be patient while I sort out all my bad habits and rectify some major points of ignorance.

Anways the image above is my latest paint over. Big thanks to Pedro for helping with some ideas. I took my time and tried to make sure that the entire thing made more visual sense.

I focused on having HORIZONTAL as well as VERTICAL lines so that the entire thing was easier on the eyes, and more casually directs you to the back of the tunnel.

If anyone has any input I'm all ears. I'm in this to learn and would love any advice.

I already have this blocked out in unreal. My next step is to rough out the hallway arch, and get it all modeled. Then I will go through and figure out the best way to handle some of the new textures.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this direction, a lot!!
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    We on the deadspace env team thumbs up this thread. plz continue.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    lookin way more interesting! keep it up!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Love the changes! cant wait to see you get stuck in!
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    I really dig this project! Looks very nice
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dividern.jpg

Thanks guys, i'm working on modeling in the changes. Its going to take me a tad longer because works picked back but i've got time scheduled each day to work on it :)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oopps double post
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    this took a fantastic new direction. The feeling is mutual when it seems like you've been working on something forever and its's kicking your ass, haha. Keep going, this will end up a great piece for sure.
  • onelunglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onelunglewis polycounter lvl 10
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Like the changes you plan to do. Go get it done! When you can haha.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Well Ive been following this thread and of course i love it and Deadspace..so thats a win. What I really like is how it has taken new directions just from that simple one point perspective corridor you had. Keep it up.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Really liking where this is going so far, I'm learning a ton just by reading your comments! keep at it, will look fantastic when it's finished :)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yus and moar yus!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, between work and other obligations I had my time spent on this lately hasn't been what I would have liked it to, However I have been working on it as much as I can each day and on the weekends. Designing and laying everything out has been a tremendous challenge. Going off concept is not for the faint of heart but i'm commited to this.

This is my latest blockin with some rough lighting in UDK:

caputre1.jpg

At this point i'm going to lock this down and start focusing on the textures. That said i'm more than open to feedback. If you make a valid enough point I will fix it. There are no hard deadlines for this, my only concern is making sure I keep the quality bar as high as I can and still wrap this up.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Certainly transformed into something so much better. The angle is also good. You said rough lighting so probably premature but the shadows in the far back, right side are a bit too much. I'm sure you'll fix. Carry on.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wow, thats so much more interesting man, not only from a compositional standpoint, but also from a spacial point of view. feels much more like an aread from the game. nice work man, cant wait to see the textures. only crit right now would be the whites from the lighting are super blown out, wearas deadspace was a bit more subduded/moody. giv'er man!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Still at it. I got pretty sick over the holidays and didn't get to much time in on this, but what I have had has been spent working on texturing and rounding off a few things. I'm not really happy with how unified the textures are right now. I am trying to mis match two many techniques for creating them I think and its leading to some visual discontinuities.

I'm going to try and come up with a game plan to address that and get to work on it tomorrow.

As always any suggestions or advice is welcome.

(This is just a screen grab from 3dsmax. I am using the 3-point shader for everything you see here).

update2x.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone. I set up a brand new UDK scene and got myself all geared up to try and finish this. Right now i'm trying to figure out the exact mood I want. My goal right now is simply to get this one shot working, then, if i'm so inclined, I might push the scene a bit farther in other directions.

The lighting is completely temporary at the moment. This scene needs more UMPH!, if anyone has any suggestios or ideas they are very much welcome.

Thanks again for everyones encouragment and advice up to this point. I've learned a ton from this :)

Shot from inside UDK:

inudk.jpg

Quick paint over I did to show some things that could be added:

paintover.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    ooh yes!

I'm thinking the scene needs more contrast and probably colour at this point. Everything is a very similar desaturated grey/brown and nothing stands out at all. I gather alot of your textures must be WIP, but you should experiment changing the base colours of things about. I think pushing some strong white into the floor borders and go from there.

For lighting, it depends how 'run down' the scene is. Brightly lit and eerily empty? Emergency lighting with lots of hard shadows? or dim lighting, everything is down, lots of natural light from the corridor and lights from TV's/vents.

I'd love to see you wrap this up tight!
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Looking pretty good Jocose.

It terms of lighting, you need some shadows! Shadows will create a lot of contrast and help objects pop. Some of those pot lights in the ceiling could be 'burnt out' to help create some mood as well.

Also, play around with some colored lighting. Perhaps brighten up those monitors a bit and give them some emissive-ness so they glow - lighting the floor and opposing wall. Perhaps also consider creating some props that will give reason to add colored light, such as emergency exit signs or warning lights, etc.

Lastly, if I'm reading your scene right, that is a vent on the right with some space below it? Try throwing a couple strong spot lights down there and aim them upwards to have them project shadows up the wall.

I really like the changes you've made to your scene. I'm glad you didn't abandon it :P

Looking forward to more progress :)
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jocose glad to see this still in action..it popped into my head the other day while browsing the forum. Dead Space 2 is almost out so my level of excitement is very high right now. I think fearian & brandoom made some valid points that is exactly what I was thinking.

The one thing I want to point out is the simple design of the railing. It doesn't feel dead space-ish, the designs of their railings are very unique and reflects the style of the surroundings. They might be placeholder not sure just wanted to point it out though.

Keep pushing man, its going to be a really great piece when its done.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

Thanks a bunch for the replies. Yeah lighting and some of the textures, and well a lot of things are "temporary" i'm at the point right now where I need to get the lighting down.

This turned out to be a technical nightmare, having lots of lights in close proximity to one another makes lightmass crap itself. I was getting bounced light overlapping bounced light that caused all sorts of things to get out of hand.

You need to make sure and turn the indirect light scale way down and also turn the brightness down on all your lights if you are using indirect lighting.

Anways, this is WORK IN PROGRESS LIGHTING that I would love to get feedback on:

roughpass.jpg

I think it needs more smaller lights and the entire thing is probably a bit dark at the moment.

I am going to be adding in more color the the textures and also when I working some of the textures and play with the spec map that will change the way things look a bit. So there are still a fair number of variables.

Oh and I am thinking about adding some kind of light directly above the seating area, it seams a little odd that area wouldn't be more well illuminated and that might help fill things in a bit and increase the overall value.

Input is very much welcome.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going for a spooky vibe I think it wouldn't hurt to play up the underlighting. I don't think the lighting itself is too dark, but rather a larger area in the middle of the image appears to be rather flat. Having pockets of lighting can help draw the eye down the image. For instance, playing up the orange underglow, perhaps light coming from the hallway on the left, and lastly around the corner at the hallway in the distance. Some food for thought anyways.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Good start but it looks like too much ambient light coming from... where? the coridoor to the left?

Also you could put down non lightmass lights here and there for a little detail. A green light over the monitors for example
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I think some light rays coming from the left floor grate would break it up a little. and over all some core shadows and accentuate your shapes with your lighting. Looks like a good first pass, but lighting can do wonders to your scene. also.. i don't really care for the blob of fog you have on the end of the hallway.
  • Matty_b
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks leagues better than it did at the start, you really turned this one around!

You could add some light spilling from the next room maybe something to contrast your environment like a orange glow from a fire or emergency exit that isn't seen. I would think if an emergency is going on main power would have been lost and emergency flood lights would have come on. Darker in general would be more scary, don't think of it as hiding your work think of it as mood setting! More contrast in general would help sell scary more.

Also you could have a flashlight thrown down or dropped in panic by another person who bit it before you arrived. Maybe next to an open vent/exposed wires/emissive display? Just throwing out ideas!

Just my two cents on a very nice project, thanks for sharing!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey All,

Here is my latest crack at the lighting. I think I might have too many colors going on. Although I think I need to take a break from it to see it more clearly. I think the diversity of warms, cools, and whites, are creating to many points of interest and making the scene a little hard to read. It seams like a lot of the good space interiors use color diversity sparingly? Or maybe its just that the diverse colors should come from decals and smaller lights.

I also really need to play around with the specular values so my metal reads better. Right now I'm not getting that "sheen" on things that I need to give it that metallic quality and I need that to read one way or another.

glottis8 mentioned not liking the fog. I lowered it and brought it into the hallway but I think it might be crap, I dunno, what do you guys think. Probably get rid of it when I work on this next.

Anyways your thoughts are welcome

Here are two versions, one with warmer lights and one with cooler:

bluequc.jpg

redse.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I really can't tell the difference between the two. Don't be afraid to push your color choices one way or another. Also try to add some contrast with your lighting and push your lights and darks a bit.

Here's a paintover that shows a bit of what I mean. You can see much more of a difference between your lights and darks and it immediately feels more moody.
    paint-2.jpg?t=1295826681
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    newoneo.jpg

Hey everyone here is the latest pass. I would like to thank one ryan dymita for helping me point me in the direction of having a focal point bee the screens behind the seats. Also took some balls to punch up the lights more than I already had, but I am liking the results. Just goes to show you should always push it farther at first because you can always pull it back.

Its kinda messy right now because I was rushing through a check list of revisions to see what it looks like. I have more plans including some light shafts with little particles floating in them, and I might also work more on the area outside the door.

Also, its getting to the point where the textures are going to start needing some love. Probably start work on that soon as well.

I would love to hear what everyone things of this direction, i'm going to keep trucking along on this.

Oh and marq4porsche thanks a ton for the paintover. It sort of started me along in a new direction which lead to this. BTW why is your portfolio site down, I remember you having some good work up there?
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    hey nice improvement with the new lighting and adding that splash of colour for the focal point, i have been watching this with a lot if interest for the last while since im starting work on some UDK environments and teaching my slef pretty much everything along the way, texturing modeling, trying to get some sketches done to help guide myself. and it is nice to see some thread liker your where i can really see things grow and improve every post.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    I think the creation of the focal point is great and necessary for a scene like this. But what you have now doesn't really fit in the dead space concept well. It doesn't scream survival horror. What you could do is turn those screens into info screens or warning screens. Something the player would need to complete a mission perhaps? Think about the story the environment is trying to tell and really make it important to your scene. Also I think the new lighting is good but a bit too bright for the theme your going for. Bump up the contrast a notch. Make it moody and someplace that I would be wary entering by myself. Maybe you can knock off some of the lights around your screens and have them casting the only light in the area. That automatically makes them more important. Then it's up to you to make it doubly important by putting some interesting information up there as well. Trust me the lighting is what's going to make a piece like this one really awesome. I can't wait to see your next update man. As for my site, someone needs to pay the bill lol.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been really frustrating trying to find time to work on this, but with what time I have had this is what I have come up with. A big thanks to all the feedback, i'm trying to incorperate as much of it as possible at this.

Right now the issues for me are:

Believability (Are all the light sources working together in an intuitive and believable (not nesccarly realisic) way regarding their falloffs, intensentiy, source, ect)

Mood: Is a mood clear here or is it confused by the color tempature or distrubute of light and shadow?

Visual language: Does this look like Deadspace or something else? I am not going for 100% deadspace per say. Deadspace inspired would be fine by me. I just don't want to miss the mark 100% or anything. On top of that Deadspace doesn't use light mass from what I can tell so I can probably push this a little farther than you might see in some in game screenshots which would be good for a portfolio piece.

reviewme.jpg
  • Robbyh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like it ! keep it upp ! dont give up !

edit : this looks to bright , and to cozy. Just my 2 cents ! id give it more of a blue collor and red ! To give it a litle more creepy ambience ! The light scenes in deadspace are goore filled ! that gives the creepy mood ! the dark scenes are also goory but their creepy by themselfs. That imo is the tradeoffs of light vs dark versions ! thats what lacks in your pick ! eyther goore or darkness, or both !

Also maybe this is to much but you wold understand my point ! sry if i did anything wrong !

Edit : I am aware this might be to much ! but its morning so im a litle bit exagerated ! Also this could be used as a ingame version thats drity, and not the beauty shot showing of everything how nice and clean it is !

64340486.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Hey Jocose,

nice progress on the scene. I've done a little paintover for you as well; hope you don't mind.

40404918.jpg

Basically what I've done is just darkened the hallway and anything else that isn't around the screens. The main reason I've done this is to create some dramatic mood.

This particular angle is good as it kind of leads me to believe that the player will have to venture down this hall next. Which is why I went and made the hallway quite dark. I want the player to feel as if this spot he is in now, the lighted area, is safe and that the hallway is dangerous.

I like the shadows at the end of the tunnel, they add some drama to the scene so I would defiantly keep those.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. Sorry if my explanation is a little hard to understand, I had some difficulty trying to accurately portray my thoughts :P

keep working! :)
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the paintover provided by brandoom is a excellent direction to take Jacose, your last version of lighting is a bit to light and does need more contrast. Oh and Dead Space 2...pure awesome right now.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    this is looking awesome. usually not a fan of scifi interior these days, but i dig this. it is almost there. from your last shot, id say just keep away from that harsh white lighting you have on the floor there. its very eye catching, more so than the screens to me.

I think brandoom's paint over is a good direction. might be cool to add a creepy figure/monster down the hallway :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    To be honest I'm not a fan of the recent paint-overs, to me it feels like the do a good job of focusing on the most interesting bit, but everything else gets lost in the darkness making the scene less interesting, mainly because there is no place for the eyes to wonder after it's been at the screens.

I like most of brandooms paintover, my current concerns are the dark areas though (bottom right & upper left) they need something more interesting than just blackness.

Good work so far, I'll be keeping an eye on this :)
  • mkandersson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mkandersson polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great. Really like what you have done so far. Though it seems a bit strange having your back against the monitors if your sitting down... Having them on the other wall seems more logical to me... Maybe have both and add some of those blue/green monitors to the other side too or moving the seats instead?

regarding the lighting I agree with brandooms paintover. Much more creepy and mysterious looking imo.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Great work you have done here, i actualy like mood quite well since i am not a horror fan myself.

But i figured i could jump on the paint over wagon, so i did one that i think might fit the horror style better.
    SRDtU.jpg
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I added a noise affect to make you think, what the hell is going on?

And I liquified the monitor so that it looks like a monster attacked it when it got angry

I also made the colours very bright and contrasted it with the white so you have variety in the scene.

reviewme2.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    brandoom wrote: »
    Hey Jocose,

nice progress on the scene. I've done a little paintover for you as well; hope you don't mind.

40404918.jpg

Basically what I've done is just darkened the hallway and anything else that isn't around the screens. The main reason I've done this is to create some dramatic mood.

This particular angle is good as it kind of leads me to believe that the player will have to venture down this hall next. Which is why I went and made the hallway quite dark. I want the player to feel as if this spot he is in now, the lighted area, is safe and that the hallway is dangerous.

I like the shadows at the end of the tunnel, they add some drama to the scene so I would defiantly keep those.

Anyway, hope this helps a bit. Sorry if my explanation is a little hard to understand, I had some difficulty trying to accurately portray my thoughts :P

keep working! :)

I second this, feels very creepy, abandoned with some functionality left. Definitely feels like Dead Space. Scene is looking great so far!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    ah! i think i like stromberg ones the best so far, i might have to tag a long and do a paintover my self haha I'll do that during lunch... 10 mins of photoshop should do the trick.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW, that's a lot of awsome feedback. Thanks guys!

Hey guys I think griming up the textures, and adding lots of atmosphere queues like a thick fog will help a LOT.

Horror does not have to be dark, and deadspace had quite a few light areas. They just felt very uncomfortable, and I need to sell that quality more.

The issue might not be as much lighting as you think. Today is going to be all texture work.

I wont touch the lighting until I get those farther along. Then I will go back and re-assess.

I think the big issue here is it needs more of a spooky horror vibe. I'm on it, and will keep you posted.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Dedication! :D Looking forward to the results!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really not happy with this, and I can't work on it anymore today as I have a meeting I have to make it to, which sucks because I was making good headway.

I hope you can all see what I meant about the textures though, I still havn't had time to add decals, and I need to tone down, fix, and adjust a lot of the "steam and lightshafts".

Anways i'm posting this more for me to keep track of things at the moment. If anyone has any input or agrees with any of the points I made let me know.

• I still have a lot of work to do on the textures.
    • I'm going to add a bunch of smaller lights (yellows, whites, greens) to give it that blinky sci-fi look.
    • I might need to add a glow to the orange monitors? I don't know if they are okay now are not. Feedback on those would be really helpful.

deadspacehallway.jpg
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I like where this is going. Tone down the fog a bit especially around the areas where there's less light. A constant change in most of the paintovers is making the end of the hallway darker. I think that subtle change in lighting makes the whole scene look more foreboding, because right now it gives off more of a dirty Alien/Starcraft/Cowboy Bebop space-trucker vibe than the stuff in Deadspace. You can still get a lot of light in the scene (I like the idea of giving more of an orange glow to the monitors), but I think a bit more contrast is needed.