Home Technical Talk

UV transfer disaster, any solution?

Hey all, having a bit of a UV crisis.

Here's a quick rundown of what I've done:

The character I'm working on is going to be riding a bike. After finishing the high-poly, and low-poly, I did a test bake along with a quick unwrap. Came out fine.

Rigged him to get him into a riding position so I could build the bike. Then built the bike.

Now I need to get the bike/character on the same 0-1 so I obviously needed to reUV my character, which I did but I had to do that on the character in the T-Pose rather than the one posed to sit on the bike. This is obviously because my sculpt is in the t-pose.

Now stupidly, I posed my character outside of figure mode so figure mode snaps him back to standing which means the only way I have my pose saved is via a collapsed OBJ.

So I save out the new UV's and go to transfer them onto the posed guy, who has EXACTLY the same vert count/tri count/tolology etc but the results are horrific.

Is there anything I can do to solve this other than rig him again with the new UV's?

UVmess.jpg

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Is this the exact copy or did you export/reimport one of them as obj ?
    Is morpher modifier working ?
    Else, try this maybe ?
    http://www.martijnvanherk.com/page/morphix.html
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep at some point the vert table was reordered. You might of attached the bike then detached it which would jack up the vert table. Morphix has gotten me out of tough spots like that in the past, great little tool.

You could also try to "Skin Wrap" the new mesh to the old while its in the T Pose, since they're so close it will follow along really well. That would save you the headache of redoing the skin weights.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Might be quicker to just bake your guy in the T pose then re0skin him to the skeleton, it won't take too long eh?

I'm not 100% clear on what you do or don't have intact. You need to rebake your guy, so you use tpose, you don't have posed skeleton or mesh anymore, just a collapsed obj of the posed guy? Is that right?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Yep the vert order got changed through the process of attatching/detatching when baking.

I tried Morphix but I get a 'vert out of range' error. I added a few more hints but no luck.

Vig, how do you mean 'skin wrap'? It sounds like a good plan but I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Yep the vertex weighting will indeed be the biggest nightmare of the whole process if I have to re-rig.

CW, I've got a posed OBJ with a good rig, but old UV's. Then a new OBJ which has the new UV's but is in a t-pose. So basically I need to either get him back to his pose with the new UV's, or get the new UV's onto the old posed mesh.

Here's the two OBJ's if you wanna see what's happening, see if you can figure it out

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4627207/Comicon%20Challenge%202010/PosedOldUVs.obj

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4627207/Comicon%20Challenge%202010/LGRCorrectUVs.obj
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    edit: erm...nevermind
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh I got the email update Noors, unfortunately it doesn't work!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the old mesh is still skinned to the skeleton and you have both the T-Pose and sitting pose, you can put the skeleton in the T-Pose move your new mesh so both meshes share the exact same space, apply the skin wrap modifier (instead of skin) to the new mesh and target the old mesh. As the old mesh deforms it will deform the new mesh.

Skin wrap will take each vert on the new mesh and look for a vert close to it on the old mesh and follow it, since they're so close the new mesh should follow along pretty well but you might have to tweak a few settings.

It helps to skin wrap without any animation applied to the skeleton, so it's probably a good idea to copy both poses to the copy/paste poses library, clear the animation (Keyframing tools, eraser), skin wrap, then paste the poses and you're done.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    cw wrote: »
    Might be quicker to just bake your guy in the T pose then re0skin him to the skeleton, it won't take too long eh?

I'm not 100% clear on what you do or don't have intact. You need to rebake your guy, so you use tpose, you don't have posed skeleton or mesh anymore, just a collapsed obj of the posed guy? Is that right?

any chance of the max file? with just the 2 objs you aren't going to get anywhere. Essentially they are two completely different sets of verts which happen to look alike. Unless you dig around for a mystical uvcopy which works byh walking the topology of the mesh but I think it would be faster to just redo something.

If you have a rigged char which can go to t pose it might be a bit easier to hack out a script to transfer UVs by vertex position rather than index...

<Edit> Vig told you better than me - skinwrap is a lifesaver sometimes!
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig you are an absolute legend. Thank you. Skin Wrap did the job. I hadn't got the pose saved since I posed him outside of figure mode (unless there's a way to save poses? Then I could transfer the biped pose) but reposing him isn't a big deal since all the skinning info is intact!

If I could save out a biped pose though that would be awesome.

Thanks again for all the replies.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    lol yeah, sorry, i was like "oooh it works" then "oohh noooo it doesn't D:"
    and then i'm late again.

yes you can via the copy/paste options in the motion tab, when u have your biped selected. I would recommend to use another rig for the future though, like CAT or smthing, since biped animation curves system is a real pain in the ass.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inside the copy/paste pose rollout there is a save/load feature, its the old school floppy disk icon under Copy Collections Drop down.

del_copypaste_copiedposes_crouched_biped.gif
    It will allow you save collections of poses and load them into other bipeds in other scenes. To use it, move the time slider to the pose and click the white icon under "pose". To paste a pose click the first clipboard icon next to it, to paste and flip the pose use the next one.

Use the little folder open icon next to the save icon to import a collection. Once a collection is loaded it shows up in the Copy Collections drop down menu. Then select the pose from the "copied poses" and paste them with auto key turned on at different frames.

It's also a good idea before you paste any poses or do any animation that you highlight all the biped pieces, hold alt, right click and choose set skin pose. This will help it remember the figure pose and keep skinwrap from freaking out.

So the process goes:
    Copy poses, save collection, load that collection into the scene you're working in.
    Remove all animation from the rig (keyframe tools, eraser)
    Put it in figure mode, paste the T-Pose if its not in it already, toggle in and out of figure mode a few times to make sure it stays in that pose.
    Select all of the biped pieces, hold alt and right click, choose "set skin pose"
    Skinwrap the new mesh to the old.
    Turn on autokey, paste the T-pose at 0 and the Sitting pose at 10.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok cheers Vig. I'll try it when I get home as I've left work now.

Is this gonna be possible with the way I've got my Biped though? Because of my lack of rigging knowledge I'm pretty sure I've set the pose wrong.

Basically, when I open the scene, I've got the Biped posed how I want it, but it's not in figure mode. As soon as I click figure mode he reverts to the bind pose (t pose in this case) and then when I click it off, he stays in t pose, effectively losing my desired seated pose.

So can I still copy/save that original seated pose?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, that comes from not setting the skin pose and probably not posing it with autokey turned on.

When you open the file, copy the sitting pose, put it in figure mode and copy then T-Pose that way you have both. After its skin wrapped paste both poses with autokey turned on about 10 frames apart.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a treat, thanks so much man you saved a lot of frustration, a lot of my hair and potentially most of the breakable items in my office.

Well I'll certainly have learned this lesson for next time!