Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

HK UMP 45

Replies

• Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
    Kitteh wrote: »
    Looking better. Crank up the contrast on your specular; it doesn't seem to be doing much atm.

Thank you! I'll try that. :)
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Looking better :D I nelgected to say what colours you should use for the spec, basically for my guns i normally use metal as a cool blue with some variations in it, any plastic i generally give a plum spec (only faint) it helps break apart the pieces.

Also you might want to throw some scratches in on just the spec, it helps break up the lighting by scattering it a little bit when it hits some of the darker / lighter sections, sometimes.

Or you could just grab a grunge brush, there's plenty if you search on polycount and do a light / dark grunge, find a nice overlay mode and tweak it to get that extra detail on the spec. Hope this helps
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you!

Now I've fixed the magazine release and the lever on the side, as well as I've tweaked the texture a bit overall.
    Now I'll go through the list of feedback I've gotten and work on the texture around the iron sight and then I think I'm ready to call this done, for real. :)

Here's a small update:

domcth.jpg

Thank you all! :)
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Man this is looking sweet. Really great progress all the way through. I have a suggestion though. The texture really looks kinda plain still. I know it's been said earlier and I think it still applies now. The texture in first person view looks really bare, what you could do to improve that is just add some wear and grunge to the texture. Don't go overboard with it but you just want to add some visual interest to those flat sides that players will be looking at. Hope it helps.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    I think it'd be good to add some strong little nicks and dings to the plastic parts that are right in the player's face. Put them in the normal map too.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback marq4porsche and Kitteh.
    Those are good ideas! I'll try and add some subtle scratches and wear around the sight and close to the camera. :)
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    Disting wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback marq4porsche and Kitteh.
    Those are good ideas! I'll try and add some subtle scratches and wear around the sight and close to the camera. :)

Make sure you don't make them bright shiny white though, since it's plastic and not metal. They should be the same color as the polymer, if not darker.
  • woody_294
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice gun! Yeah you're right H&K guns do look a little bland and the surface coat on the newer generations is pretty hard wearing, although the finish on and around the pistol grip soon generates a shine.

Just a thought on the mag coupler, have you gone with a non-HK item as I'm pretty sure there's a pull down/up lever between the mags to them in place.

The coat on the slide-lock rails gets pretty worn too if it's had it's role changed a few times. For example, this is in the urban role, no optics and a light attachment :)

Hope this helps.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Doesn't the UMP stock have some solid support structures in it? (would get a picture, but google seems to hate me at the moment.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it does, but I chose to remove it to save UV space. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update.
    I've increased the contrast in the spec map, added bullets into the magazine, tweaked the texture around the sight a bit, added avertical grip, added some scratches and wear here and there etc.

Does it look better?

oi7uw.jpg

Cheers. :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! I like where this is going. you should make a sight for this beast. An eotech or aimpoint. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually think a sight would be too much. It feels like what I have at the moment almost clutters it up too much. :P
    Thanks! :)

I honestly don't see how I can make this any better at the moment. Feels like I've used every trick I have up my sleeve, so unless you have any feedback I think I'll call this done and render it out to a proper presentation.

1zdaihy.jpg

Thank you!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.. I'm calling this done now.
    I feel it's time to move on, and use what I've learned while working on this on my next piece.
    I'm happy with the way this looks now. :)
    I'd like to thank everyone that helped me achieve this!

Here is the final presentation!

heckler_and_koch_ump45_by_beere-d2z2r1u.jpg

Cheers! :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks lovely :)
    Looking forward to see your next project ;)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks lovely :)
    Looking forward to see your next project ;)

Thank you very much! :)
    My next project will either be the Pulse Rifle from the movie Aliens that I've already started on last week, or I will start working on the HK G3. :)
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Looks super nice! Good work!
    Im voting for the pulse rifle from the Alien movies.
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow great work! Looks very realistic with the DOF too
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :)
    I really appreciate it!

Yeah, the Pulse Rifle seems the most fun, seeing as they're pretty undetailed. So I'd have to spend a lot of time getting the shader and textures right.
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    gw man, this is a good example of why i love polycount so much. There's tonnes of feedback and also the fact that you took it all on board, it made for a really solid folio piece for ya
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    I love the marmoset and I love your ump
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much!
    Yeah, it definately wouldn't have turned out like this if I didn't get good feedback. :)