Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Year Student - New To Polycount

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
Hey all,

I have been reading these forums for a while now and thought it was about time I shared some of my work. I am new to 3D modeling, I am a first year student and I am only in my second modeling class. My work is pretty basic still but I'm eager to improve and the community here always seems very helpful... so here goes nothing.

The first set of renders were from a recent project to model a prop for a Sci-Fi game. I got the idea from a concept gun I saw from nerf.

ighj5l.jpg

1r54xd.jpg

o8xsg7.jpg

The second set are from the following project that was to model a WWI or prior military prop. I chose the German plane, the Albatross CIII
22lx1e.jpg

688yz9.jpg

2mo80sp.jpg

I have textured these projects, but I don't have renders of them yet.... mainly cause I am not happy with the textures :/

All critiques/comments are welcome. Thx everyone.

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Hello there and welcome to Polycount!! :)

For your first few classes, looks like you're really getting the hang of things already!! My first few models were pretty far from this level... lol

Just keep going at that speed, and I'm sure you'll be rocking models in no time!

But don't forget to post all your work along the way, so everyone here can brutally take it apart, and build you back up! :D
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    also Welcome! I will be graduating from Ai-Orange County Next quarter. Good luck, you're already off to a better start than 85% off all the GAD students there by lurking through these forums and posting early. If game art is you passion, better get ready to obsess over it, network your ass off, and model, model, model!
    A few friendly pointers when asking for crits here on pc:
    •set the background color to a neutral grey on your renders so as to not demolish the silhouette as much.
    •when showing off a low poly piece, give us some wires. And by wires, try being professional about it and render out a decent wire frame instead of just screen capping max's view port in wire frame mode.

A buddy of mine taught at Ai-OC for a bit got me on the right track in more ways than most of the teachers at Ai can get you now days with that school so check out this blog
    http://donott-lcad.blogspot.com/
    and when you're really ready to learn some kick ass stuff get check out these tutorials from
    http://3dmotive.com
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome!

Your off to a solid start there, what i would suggest is try not to keep (im looking at the gun) it not too blocky, the machine part feels like its made up from alot of extruding, i know i used to do the same thing, but try working with more curves and what not, and look for inspiration where ever you can find it and borrow smaller design aspects from them!
  • Kiser Designs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiser Designs polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I will be sure to post my work as I go.

I am not sure how to render out wireframes yet, but I am sure I can figure it out.

Thanks again.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Welcome! Nice start you got there! When you think you've got a solid understanding of modelling etc tryout texturing and creating normal maps! :)