Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Lostcorner Studios

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
Looking for crits.
Rip it apart please.. what is good... what is bad... and why?
Also what is missing if anything..

Thanks for your time!

www.lostcorner.org

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ur drawings r a joy to look at and the style translates well into 3D.
    They remind me a lot of 2 German artists: Marko Djurdevic (which u prob know) and Henrik Bolle.
    They only thing I feel missing is more color. At least include the 3D textures where u can.
    Next up I'd suggest modelling one of ur own concepts.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you!!..

Heh, yes I know then both, superb artists..
    Henrik used to be a college of mine for many years, this guy touched my soul in unimaginable ways and left the company with my ego in his hands..

So I'm very glad to hear people like my work..
    I will make a concept to model soon, once I find the courage..
    Sucks I'm always shivering with fear doing art..
    Well enough emo bs..

I appreciate the comment allot!..
    Thanks for the time taken..
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Anduh...
    Still looking for more crits for those willing to spend their time on me...
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Your work looks really nice. I especially like your highpoly pillar. I hink this is your srongest piece in your 3d section.

Some suggestions:

I'm missing some info on the assets: Texture sizes and tri-count are important.

I would leave out the wip character. Either you have some very good wips or leave them out. At the moment it seems your main focus is a prop-artist position. There is no need to throw a half finished character in your portfolio.
    If you still want to keep it I at least would add a WIP section.
    You need more stuff thats finished. At the moment 2 out of 5 pieces are / look like wips. I would take the pillar for example and complete it to a ingame asset. It will be a nice piece.

Edit:

For the first 3d piece:

I'm not sure what I am looking at. It could be a console or generator thing. Maybe consider to state what it's supposed to be. Because either the concept is failing to communicate the purpose of this asset or its your model. You also should link directly to the concept you are referencing. It takes some time to find the concept you are speaking of.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Yes I was wondering about that, the pillar is a UT3 model I did and cannot change now...
    I will replace it with a finished similar piece when I have one ready..
    Good to know this is what pops out though!!..

The WIP character I will delete, I was scared I did not have enough, but if it's too weak so far it's not doing any good.. Again, thanks for saying this!!

Many thanks for sharing your view!
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that you maybe should be "scared that you don't have enough", especially because you state that you have "over 10 years experience with 3D graphics", one would think you'd have piles of work to show off and yet you only have 3 and half* props (*half, since one is a wip). It's a bit concerning.

I would say that what Slave_zero said about needing more stuff that's finished also applies to your 2D section as well. The majority of them look like they're half-finished wip sketches. Some more finalized art wouldn't hurt. Neither would some colored/painted stuff.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks! Killed that statement..

Question, could those who feel like it tell me which pieces look good to them and which need work?..

I'm so very bad at judging what work people like I've noticed, your view on this would help me allot...

Thanks for your time Reklas!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Henrik is insane. Sharing any of his qualities is a gr8 treat ;)

Image 7 & 8 of the 2D need more work. Including sketchy sketches is gr8 as long as you've got a bulk of finished stuff to go along - which u don't.
    The best character design is the syth-guy, albiet generic it's a solid design. The rest don't feel as unique... kinda random gear and purpose. It works as a collective but as a concept-guy u might be expected to produce characters with more unique, individual skillz/gear.
    I'd opt for a whole row of guns to go along with the row of chars. Then a row of sketchies.

Image 1 of the 3D could use more work on the colors: if it weren't for the colored lighting it'd look very dull. Build up the color towards something... push it up.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    shotgun, Thank you so much for that!

Yeh Henrik is insane.. to still push myself to get anywhere with this art thing when seeing this guy grow into an art god and getting all the praise was the biggest climb in my life ever..but I strive on..
    to create is the only thing for me in this life..

He is a great guy, I love the man..
    Not a day goes by that I feel bad for not being able to get closer to him because my ego is too weak to handle it so far..

anyways :), so 7 and 8.. the rifle and the sketchy guy?
    I myself like this 8 as one of the best.. It's rly interesting to see other people's views..

I will try and get some 'solid' character concepts out there, and see what I can do to 7 nd 8..
    I think I know exactly what you mean, I'm just too afraid to take that step I suppose..

Working on that first 3d image as we speak.. As you said.. trying to give it more 'kick'..
    Thanks for the say again :)..
  • rescale
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rescale polycounter lvl 7
    Hey there,

nice work so far, still wondering if you do everything on the 3D part on your own? Would be nice to see more infos of the stuff like HighPoly / Lowpoly Wireframe, Texturemaps. You worked on so great games like UT3 and Gears of War and there is nothing to show? Guess there are a lot of nice objects, or?

Greetings

rescale
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I just checked out you shiped titels and I must say it looks impressive. The question is what didi you do for those titles? I would state what kind of work you did for wihich title.
    One valid option is to grab some screenshots from those games and clearly mark the assets you did.

This might become a little complicated in case the assets were reworked before making it into the game.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey thnx for that..
    I had no idea I was giving out such an untestable vibe :O
    I most definitely worked on these projects..
    But I made a stupid mistake of leaving all my work at my old job..
    +NDA's making it very hard to get the rights to show anything..
    Companies are very hard core on what they release to the public understandably..
    They love to keep the illusion alive that everything is made by them and not 3rd parties, cause of course that would weaken their image..

I spend most of my time trying to get better at drawing since I had pretty much reached the end of 3d tech learning.. which I did, and am happy to have done so.. because it taught me what ART is really all about, I recommend anyone to draw and study classic art to gain far far better understanding of what art means..

But for a wise career it would have been better to spend it on working my portfolio..
    Art is so important to me that I made some very very bad choices lifewise..
    But yeh, I'm here now..

Good to know this!!
    I should really change this view and show some work that walks the walk.. I did not consider the fact that I would be seen as a liar.. :\

Thanks for talking :)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Personally, I wouldn't use something like Lostcorners Studio since you are not a studio (are you?); I'd just use your name as your site, but maybe that's just me..

And like said above, it's very confusing to see your "about section" showing all those high end titles and no mention of what you did on there or any work from them. At the very least, mention what you did.

Another thing to mention is a lot of your thumbnails give absolutely no idea as to what they represent. I clicked on one thinking it was a tree or something to that effect and got a dude with swords. Maybe make them a bit bigger and a clearer view of what they link to.

Work looks good, I'd just work on getting a few more finished pieces in there.
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Thnx for the reply:)
    Good to hear your view...
    I will think about the name, It really doesn't matter to me in the end as I want my art to speak.

What I will do is upgrade my 3d work and thus make the about section believable.
    As said.. I have focused on 2d work, which I have not done commercially..

The thumbnails I like, they are not meant to show what's behind them but are designed to attract attention. To look interesting and makes people want to click them. Do you think they are not interesting like this?

Thanks for telling me your thoughts :)
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    wi_2 wrote: »
    Thnx for the reply:)

The thumbnails I like, they are not meant to show what's behind them but are designed to attract attention. To look interesting and makes people want to click them. Do you think they are not interesting like this?

Well, the way I look at it is like this. Lets say I'm looking to hire a prop artist. I want to be able to load up a page, look at thumbnails, and know right away "Hey, this guy has props!" or "Hey, this guy does characters" as opposed to having to click on all of them to see what they are.
  • Snight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snight polycounter lvl 16
    wi_2 wrote: »
    I will think about the name, It really doesn't matter to me in the end as I want my art to speak.

Lose the name. No studio will hire you if you have a name that implies you are a studio of any kind. It's a risk they will not be willing to take. If you state you are a studio in your portfolio they will have the thought process that you want to start your own studio some day and you are just getting a job until you start it, then bounce. You want to set a name for yourself as an individual artist that will represent THEIR studio if they hire you, so use your real name.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're crazy. U've got de mad skillz (ok, u degree, i say so anyways ;) so just do what u do with the sketches. They're not bad per-se, it's just... as I explained. In such a small selection of work they stand out as "I didn't have enough pieces so I put this crap in", while in a larger selection of sketches, that goes along with a larger selection of finished, they'd be perfect. Cuz they're good for what they r...

The guns r too rough compared to the other fantastic cannons u've got there. U can see what I'm saying of course... get in there and intricate the design, show it in angles, have fun with it. It's too plain as it is.

Ego is silly. As long as u can control the bubble and not get stuck in it, its cool. If not - I'd suggest anti-ego-bubble materials!
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    Tnx to both of you.. you make good points :)
    I will look into making a better thumbnails system..

And I will change the name....

Many thx for the replies :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Please use your real name as this is a REAL PERSON not an art house. As it is, you will be confused with an outsourcing company and be disregarded for consideration. This is not an opinion
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    haha.. Tnx man... :)
    Yeh ego is silly, If I have enough trust in the fact that I'm not wasting my time doing art because no one wants to look at it I'm more then fulfilled.. I do art for myself, I take great pleasure in the process..
    But it is hard to motivate myself to spend the time to get good enough to make some kind of living out of it..
    Otherwise it just feels like I'm talking to a concrete walls u know...
    My ego is merely another tool to use.. Not something to be use by..

many thnx shotgun.. I think I'd like you in real life too :) nd not just because ur giving me kisses :D
    Anyways.. gonna go to my gf now :)

I will work on the changes soon!
    any more crit's are very much welcome!!..
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yes, thumbnails that mean something thumbnails with just a portion of an image people move on, instead of clicking
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Well first off, great work and as for crits, all the previous posters summed it up.

From my point of view, I was thinking the links you have for 3D and 2D are too close to each other on the main page (top left corner under the Portfolio link). I would space them out, maybe center them under the Portfolio - About - Contact line (unless you are planning to add more links there).

Also your page opens up showing your 2D art, and the links have 3D being first then 2D.....try to be a little consistent. Also no link to go back to home page (can be handy sometimes).

On the positive side, I like the simplicity of the site, clean and to the point.

Good luck :thumbup: