Home General Discussion

The Witcher 2

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    So painful hearing how awesome this game is and being too busy to play it! Imma hit this hard next week.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This game rocks. It really is setting a bar for Western RPGs graphically.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with r_fletch_r, read the manual. There aren't any on screen buttons for you inventory or journal so you'll have to get used to not looking for them.
    Like ever one said, this game is god damn gorgeous!
    I have to stop playing and go back to the Witcher 1 so I can import my saved game.

Here's a small gallery with some in-game screenshots: [click here]
    I can tell this game is going to be fun:)
    witcher2_2011_05_17_06_15_09_468.jpg
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    installing now...
    so excited loved the first game even with all its flaws.
    oh and kaze choose carefully muwahaha.
    off to fight monsters and such.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Is it not coming out for the PS3/360?
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    Is it not coming out for the PS3/360?
    No, but the project director did say they looked into it.
    I guess it's up to Atari & Bandi Namco to figure out if they want to bring it to the consoles. I doubt it though because of GOG DRM-free version. But you never know, if the game sells a lot maybe that will be the trigger for the big corporate guys. The game has gotten some good hype in the press.
    Seems like this game might be a good candidate for using a gamepad.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played for probably 3 hours tonight. The game if difficult but rewarding, and it may be the most beautiful game I've ever played. I'm so glad I pre-ordered! I've downloaded something like 2GB of extras from GOG so far.

lHHXI.jpg
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you preordered it from steam..how do you get all that premium edition goodness? Oh yea..the end of the "tutorial mission". Fucking Awesome.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, stupid me didn't read the entire manual to the end. You can actually use a 360 controller instead of the keyboard. it didn't say anything about a PS3 controller, sorry PS3 fans.

edit: I would just like to remind people how quickly each area loads.:thumbup:
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    OMFG Amazon, where's mah Witcher?!
    I need my RPG fix!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 wrote: »
    Ok, stupid me didn't read the entire manual to the end. You can actually use a 360 controller instead of the keyboard. it didn't say anything about a PS3 controller, sorry PS3 fans.

edit: I would just like to remind people how quickly each area loads.:thumbup:

Theres a program called DS3 tool that I use to play Super Meat Boy. It can turn a PS3 controller to a 360 controller..which is a good thing cause I'm just too damn comfortable with the PS controller.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Anyone else feel the start of the game is a little to difficult? I've had my ass handed to me soo many times it's frustrating. Also because you can't zoom out a bit more, you can easily get surrounded, then your dead in a flash.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    Mine came in the mail today WOot!.

Its neat stuff you get maps a coin and papercraft men.

Its must be big because you get 2 DVD discs.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Ark wrote: »
    Anyone else feel the start of the game is a little to difficult? I've had my ass handed to me soo many times it's frustrating. Also because you can't zoom out a bit more, you can easily get surrounded, then your dead in a flash.

It was a very rough start but it does serve to give you a bigger sense of accomplishment once you learn how everything works.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9

Totally. It's been ages since I played a game that was so hostile to new players. I played the Original a few years ago and don't remember ever getting so frustrated/angry with it. Sure I got my ass handed to me allot but it was usually because I got out of my depth, not because I missed a tiny tip that popped up for 3 seconds while I was busy getting killed.

A few areas at the start where you got to train in combat (say 'teaching' the soldiers in the kings camp) and were briefed in the usage of the signs would have made the start fun, rather than a exercise in frustration.

Anyway rant over. Things are definitely getting more fun.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man im sooo impressed by the game! One of the standouts is the characters so far, lots and lots of super well made/designed characters/clothes :d
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is it just me or does the bloom effect in this game seem odd?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats a shame, game looks fun and is really nice to look at to boot. would love to play it but i doubt my PC will be able to handle it without being on the most ugly of settings. another reason why PC gaming is stupid. plus who wants to sit at a computer all day playing video games when you spend all day on it making art? I would love to lounge back on my couch and play this on a big tv :)

hopefully they will make a port for this
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    thats a shame, game looks fun and is really nice to look at to boot. would love to play it but i doubt my PC will be able to handle it without being on the most ugly of settings. another reason why PC gaming is stupid. plus who wants to sit at a computer all day playing video games when you spend all day on it making art? I would love to lounge back on my couch and play this on a big tv :)

hopefully they will make a port for this
    hey, just because you had a few bad experiences don't mean it's stupid. Like I said before The Witcher 2 does support the 360 controller and if you have a PS3 controller, like ErichWK said, you can use the DS3 program for both the 360 and the PS3. So there's you're sit back and relax option.
    And since when could game artists afford big screen TVs:) and how big is it? Staring at a screen is staring at a screen right?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean its stupid in the sense that my PC is higher end then a PS3 or Xbox and yet the game would look better on a PS3/Xbox then it would on my PC. That is what is great about consoles. I know exactly what I am getting and dont have to worry about it looking not as good as it should because my computer isnt tuned specifically to max out my video game settings.

Also relaxing has nothing to do with just using a PS3/Xbox control at your computer because you are still sitting at your computer instead of on a nice couch :)
    kaze369 wrote: »
    And since when could game artists afford big screen TVs:)

After graduating college and getting a job its easy to buy things when you start getting a pay check and arnt throwing money away on insane tuition :) Starting at a screen a few feet away from your face is less strain on your eyes then one a few inches.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But Anthony! Precisiiiooooon. The Mouse + Keyboard combo is great for first person shooters. But I do agree its nice to sit on a couch sometimes.

I will say if you are into modding communities.. then it's definitely all about PC. For instance, look at the modding community for all of Bethesda's games. They turned great games and made them even greater and more beautiful and gave us free content that sometimes is better than the DLC the devs make us pay for.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone else having problems fighting letho in the elven baths?
    I'm using yrden to stun him but I can't land any hits regardless of his being stunned he blocks everything. His Quen is down but it makes no difference.

Autocon, so stick your mouse and keyboard on a bit of board and plug the pc into the tv. the witcher scales pretty nicely so it's atleast worth trying the demo(when and if one arrives)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK wrote: »
    But Anthony! Precisiiiooooon. The Mouse + Keyboard combo is great for first person shooters.

Funny I think the exact opposite. I like shooters better on console, everyone is on an even and balanced playing field. No one has these super mice and can get away with super twitch killing you the second you spawn with head shots miles away. But thats me :)

Is there a demo for the game? I didnt notice one being mentioned, and it would be nice to see how well the game would run on my comp. And that hooking up your comp to a TV is a good idea, thought about it before but not sure if my graphics card supports it.
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing since it came out. It's quite possibly the best looking game I've played. The texturing, especially on the clothing and the environmental details are stunning. Both the story and the controls are a bit opaque at the beginning, but by the time you're out of the prologue, everything should be clear. The storyline has quite a bit of depth, the writing is solid for the most part and the voice acting is great. I've spent a lot of time looking at art on Polycount and wondering why games don't look that good...Witcher 2 does.

To the people wondering about performance: I'm running a Q6600@2.4, ATI 4850, 8GB RAM and it's smooth as butter on high settings. A half second of loading lag at transitions, but gameplay in general is fine.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    couldn't run the first one on anything but about medium, looked odd..
    So unfortunately i won't get this one yet.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was playing the prologue and realized that I pulled a Scumbag Steve ( http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/scumbag-steve ).

So, I made this:

zbkrw.jpg
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    So I bought The Witcher 2 on Steam (After seeing the mega-retail collectors edition, I'll probably pick that up in due time) but I went with Steam for the convenience and for the Cloud Save.

http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-digital_premium-en says that steam will offer cloud save, however it doesn't seem to be working for me. (I don't get the cloud options, it doesnt ask me to download cloud files, etc)

Anyone got the steam version and had any luck with cloud save?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloud save works automatically, there are no options, if you see a cloud icon thing in the game library that means its working.

I have to say this game is bloody hard. And I still cant understand how the inventory works.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    Calabi, yeah that's my experience with other games but I can't load my Witcher 2 save games from another computer. When I go to "load game" none of my saves appear.
  • Nostradamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nostradamus polycounter lvl 18
    fletch, you have to dodge roll around him to hit him even when using the stun spell afaik.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers ;) i got him in the end.

Just heard the best quote from a dwalve. 'thats my favourite type of magic, 'lesbomancy''
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate to say it but I wuessed out and put the game on easy. I'd rather enjoy the story anyway.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    yeah i got owned in the castle when tryin to get the ballista(first solo battle angainst multiple enemies) wussed out to easy still gettin owned in some really hard fights(5+ enemies generally)
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That first fight was probably the hardest so far for me. It took a while to figure everything out but now it feels alot easier.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man..I don't wanna finish Chapter 1 because I want to get the free DLC..but it seems it isn't really working for most people which is kind of a bummer.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm playing on Normal, but got repeatedly owned in the first fight in the castle. I think it was around the 4th attempt that I realized I kept drawing my silver sword instead of my steel sword. Doh.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recorded some 1920x1080 footage on Ultra High settings last night and I put together a 13-minutes showcase video. For those of you who haven't played it yet (or who are playing it on lower settings), this game looks stunning!

http://youtu.be/L0ep2yz9luE?hd=1
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    any idea how well an intel core2quad + 9800gt with 1 gig vram will run the game?
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    oh man this game is so good looking they let env artists go nuts on this and it shows
    making my way through the second chapter and just keep going wonder whats around the next corner. bet it looks amazing and you know what so far it has been.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thread needs some images.

witcher2201105202231019.jpg

witcher2201105202148597g.jpg

witcher2201105202136288.jpg

witcher2201105202021228.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo wrote: »
    oh man this game is so good looking they let env artists go nuts on this and it shows
    making my way through the second chapter and just keep going wonder whats around the next corner. bet it looks amazing and you know what so far it has been.

its stunning how much is actualy geometry detail.

I have noticed though that sometimes they use 'imposters' on cut scenes. there are a few cases where you see suits of armor which are just alpha cut outs.

I really hope a toolkit becomes available so we can dissect how things were done.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    @ZacD I'm running on a laptop Core2 Quad @2ghz 4g ram and an Nvidia GT 130M, auto detect settings, it's alright.

Hmm, in the midst of Chapter 1, not quite as enjoyable as the original thus far.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    its stunning how much is actualy geometry detail.

I have noticed though that sometimes they use 'imposters' on cut scenes. there are a few cases where you see suits of armor which are just alpha cut outs.

I really hope a toolkit becomes available so we can dissect how things were done.

I've noticed they do spend a lot of the polies on getting good strong silhouettes, letting the normals handle the recessed details.

They stated that they were looking to release the sdk in some interview i read, so hopefully one will be released.

I've just reached Chapter 3 and the game is a lot easier than the opening chapters, maybe it's because i've got the Swordsmanship tree nearly completed or better armor, i don't know.

Looking forward to the final showdown! :)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, in the midst of Chapter 1, not quite as enjoyable as the original thus far.

That's a shame
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indeed! I think its much much better then first! :d
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    That's a shame

Its actually pretty good, CDP just messed up the starting tutorial.
    When you start the game open the journal and read the control tips. Also learn what the signs do and make sure your using your steel sword.

In combat its best to single out enemies and roll away when they counter. attacking groups at low levels is a really bad idea. Use Axii to turn one of them to your side and use Yrrden to pin another, also Quen is great as it absorbs damage. Igni is a bit crap but Aard is really usefull for stunning people.

Once you have the basics down the game goes from being a frustrating POS to a really fun experience.

The bit in the dungeons in Act 3
    with the spoon/eye gauging was horrendous :poly122:
    Its rare a game makes me feel Queasy.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Finished!

Absolute awesome game the whole way through, i didn't think it would live upto the original, but i was wrong.

Got lost in the story in some parts, so i guess it's time for a second playthrough and do much more exploring for loot. :)

In the Epilogue,
    I kinda felt sorry when i killed Letho at the end, they made the cutscene quite sympathetic, so i loaded another save at let him go! Maybe he'll carry over in the next Witcher?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished!

Absolute awesome game the whole way through, i didn't think it would live upto the original, but i was wrong.

Got lost in the story in some parts, so i guess it's time for a second playthrough and do much more exploring for loot. :)

In the Epilogue,
    I kinda felt sorry when i killed Letho at the end, they made the cutscene quite sympathetic, so i loaded another save at let him go! Maybe he'll carry over in the next Witcher?
    any tips on slaying saskia?, am I doing something wrong or do I just have to slowly wear her down?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    r_fletch_r:
    Yeah she has a lot of health, i just kept using Quen to protect myself from the fire. Hitting her from far away using swift strikes to close the gap, one heavy strike, then roll away and repeat. Dodging is hard because Saskia covers most of the screen, but Quen does help in reducing the damage. Depending on where you put your skills, i mainly went Swordsmanship, so none of the signs were that great to me.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r:
    Yeah she has a lot of health, i just kept using Quen to protect myself from the fire. Hitting her from far away using swift strikes to close the gap, one heavy strike, then roll away and repeat. Dodging is hard because Saskia covers most of the screen, but Quen does help in reducing the damage. Depending on where you put your skills, i mainly went Swordsmanship, so none of the signs were that great to me.

thanks man, ill keep at it. I focused on swordwork as well.