Home General Discussion

Whatisicarus.com

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Just looked at the screenshots on the website and was wondering, an I the only one who thinks the whole art direction looks a little too much like Airbørn?

Same here, first thing that popped into my head when i saw the screens.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I have to admit it's one game I'd love to make art for.
    \o/

Interview with Ken if you cats are interested

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/video-interview-ken-levine-on-bioshock-infinite/

And a joy stick stuff
    (sites getting hammered atm, so heres another linky!)
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/12/bioshock-infinite-preview/
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    This wasn't the root of the disappointment as I said above, people just want something less shooter 2.0 and more depth.

aye, my bad.

Yeah I am in agreement that System Shock's depth was both challenging and engrossing but I am not quite sure that will resonate as well with a console crowd. I don't think the controls lend themselves to meticulous resource and stat management. And the difficulty would be pretty steep to non hardcore adopters from the PC crowd.

System shock 2 was absolutely mindblowing and even more so in coop. But how well would that translate nowadays on a PS3 or Xbox ?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    notasolitaryone.jpg

I'm sorry, but they're just milking the name, and nothing else.

This. From Kotaku's report on the game, quoting Levine:
    He doesn't call it prequel though and drew no narrative connections between the BioShocks we have played and the one his team is making. "I don't want to think about that," Levine said to me. "I don't think it's particularly constructive to have that conversation."

Of course he doesn't want to have that conversation, because if he did, he might have to admit this game doesn't look or feel anything like Bioshock and it was given the franchise tag for marketing reasons only.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Absolutely flawless, now the problem is that it would interfere with 2k/irrationals newfound marketbase.

Systemshock did not sell anywhere near as good as bioshock has done.

I for one would love some reason to replay these games though, but there's really no other character development route or such to take, you get all weapons, you get all plasmids.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse wrote: »
    aye, my bad.

Yeah I am in agreement that System Shock's depth was both challenging and engrossing but I am not quite sure that will resonate as well with a console crowd. I don't think the controls lend themselves to meticulous resource and stat management. And the difficulty would be pretty steep to non hardcore adopters from the PC crowd.

System shock 2 was absolutely mindblowing and even more so in coop. But how well would that translate nowadays on a PS3 or Xbox ?

The absolute worst thing about the primacy of consoles these days is that it just about means the end of games like the original Deus Ex or System Shock 2. The best we can likely hope for is something like how Bethesda handled Fallout 3, but it's still a far cry from the great action RPGs we had a decade ago.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    what the fuck, why would one live in the sky or deep water anyway , it costs way to much energy to do so, whats wrong with teh ground?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i dunno.. just forget the bioshock name for a second, no-one thinks floating cloud cities are cool anymore?? madness!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Ken Levine is a smart guy whom I admire quite a lot, hence I will give them a benefit of doubt this time. I'm not too happy with calling it Bioshock either, but if the connection lies merely in gameplay mechanics and major themes then so be it. I would prefer this kind of "sequel" that shares no narrative connection, rather than a continuation of a finished story (as in Bioshock 2).

It might be completely different from Bioshock, or it might be a clone; we won't know until more info is given.

What I do find interesting is that the protagonist might have a personality this time around. Not only he's named, but his "relationship with Elizabeth, augmenting his abilities with hers so the pair may escape from a city that is literally falling from the sky" sounds a little bit like ICO/Prince of Persia 2008. If it does have a stronger cast of characters (I despise mute protagonists) then I'm in; even though I generally dislike FPS's.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    I despise mute protagonists

you must have hated gta 3 haha.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    TomDunne wrote: »
    Of course he doesn't want to have that conversation, because if he did, he might have to admit this game doesn't look or feel anything like Bioshock and it was given the franchise tag for marketing reasons only.

Because his publisher, not him, makes the final call on branding/naming of his product.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Can't say I loved it but, typing cheats, going on a rampage and trying to survive the vicious attacks of police was quite fun. Call me crazy, but I have never completed the plotline of any GTA game EVER; regardless of whether its protagonist had his vocal cords ripped out or not.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    rolfness wrote: »
    LOL a true remake of SS1 is what I want..

OH GOD YES
    1 Was way better than 2, although i loved 2.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like it could be pretty awesome.. huge potential. Hopefully it'll have that oh-so-new-fresh-feeling even with the Bioshock name on there.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I'd love a Bioshock without any enemies or combat at all - at least few working guns.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    The creative director likened it to the Final Fantasy branding. Except for like 1 game all Final Fantasy games are completely unique. New characters, new worlds, new everything pretty much but they are all set in a similar style world, have similar story motifs and have an over arching game familiarity.

I see this new BioShock much like that. It seems the team wanted to do another game in this era/style hitting on some of the same political/story elements as BioShock. Hopefully it works and its not just goofy BioShock in the sky but brings some unique elements that set it apart while still having some similar elements that harken back to what made BioShock so great.

But all aspects of the game are really just up in the air at this point...
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Autocon wrote: »
    But all aspects of the game are really just up in the air at this point...

I see what you did there.

Seriously though, I think it looks really neat. While it's odd that it has the bioshock name the fact that they're comparing the world to a final fantasy styled universe seems pretty neat to me. I really enjoyed the Bioshock games but I honestly don't know if I was ready for a trip to Rapture for a third game. It's somewhat refreshing to see a new spin and one with a character that may in fact "have character."
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.. the shitstorm of hate on here is absolutely amazing. I guess I'm one of the few that, I dunno, ENJOYED Bioshock and its sequel, and eagerly awaits another game along the same vein of good gameplay, graphics, and awesome story.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    How many times did you play the bioshock games?
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Because his publisher, not him, makes the final call on branding/naming of his product.

And if Ken Levine's great new game was tag-team unicorn wrestling, I suppose it might have been Bioshock as well, yeah?

A few pages back, you argued with me about the name and here you are again, so I'll make this immune to rebuttal: I don't like the name. I don't care if it's Ken Levine or 2K Games or your mom who picked it. I also don't care how trivial you feel this complaint is. I'm cynical about any game that's being shoehorned into an existing IP to move copies, and I'm especially cynical when it's a successful developer doing it.

fin
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    well thats one way to kill a boner. ..
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    here's some humor; something I found in an old bioshock interview, which touches on my feelings on the systemshock -> bioshock

Ken Levine: The core thing is that we came back from E3 and we sort of got a lot of feedback on the game: "Oh! It's a RPG, it's an adventure game. It's a dessert topping." And you know, that's a problem. When you try to innovate you get that. When people see something new they don't know what to make out of it. But our goal with BioShock is really to make people re-consider, re-imagine, and redefine what a first-person shooter can be. It's like those first experiences you had when you first played Gran Turismo. In previous games you could choose a course and a few cars. GT broadened the definition of what a racing game could be.

And now, when you play a racing game and it doesn't have the features that GT brought into the act? You know, the abilities to tune your car, get new equipment, and make it look cool, well it doesn't feel like a complete racing game anymore. It changed the audience's expectations of a racing game. GTA is like that for action games.

It's hard to go back to simpler games after having played it.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Okay, so maybe I found Bioshock sort of boring, but the preview cinematics have always been incredibly thrilling. I love getting thrown around and eviscerated in first person in all of them. The latest is just as fun, and I enjoy it, even if I have no real opinion/excitement for the upcoming game. The abusive cinematics are just fun to watch.
  • Ahrkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahrkey polycounter lvl 18
    This looked rather different. Don't know what, perhaps that the city didn't look as if it was in decline like Rapture. But it opens up for cool gameplay.

Off topic: I liked Bioshock 1 pretty much, especially the art and atmosphere, and I'm thinking about getting the 2nd game but I don't wanna get disappointed. Should I get it?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Hehe. My workmate said something.

"At least the game can start the same way as the first one, with a plane crash"
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Obviously it'll be a burning blimp this time.
    qlz wrote: »
    Off topic: I liked Bioshock 1 pretty much, especially the art and atmosphere, and I'm thinking about getting the 2nd game but I don't wanna get disappointed. Should I get it?

I've heard it's more of the same, but more refined, perhaps streamlined, but I've heard that some people don't like it as much, I'd say get it if you liked the first one, since it's more of the same.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    So, will Bioshock 4 be set in a utopian city gone wrong surrounded by outer space, or a utopian city gone wrong surrounded by lava? Place your bets!

I just think it's a bit sad that the artists have to make another detailed world from scratch, whereas the designers come up with something that you'd answer if you only had ten seconds to think of a Bioshock sequel.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe Bioshock 4 is Dead Space....maybe. Replace crazy mutants with space mutants, replace jack with issac and plasmids for tech gear. Both start off with a plane crash-ish.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    This newspost actually made me more interested in the game . I am now officially cautiously optimistic.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/08/12/irrational-anthem-their-new-game-unveiled/
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    No, get this, bioshock 4 will be set in a spaceship, state of the art, filled with lots of smart people, with the ability to go faster than light.

Little do they know though that things will eventually go wrong, and you the player get tossed into the midst of it.

There the player will be guided by an atlas-like character, who seems to be your friend, but things are not as they seem.

Around this spaceship you'll be able to find new plasmid like abilities from upgrade stations.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're now discussing this in this thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75795

It's named 'Bioshock Infinite', so it's less mysteriously named than this one, heh.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill definitely pick up a art of bioshock infinite though will probably wait for it to drop in price then play it.