Home General Discussion

Backpack Creates 3D Maps

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/11/laser-backpack-creates-instant-3d-maps-venkman-reminds-you-to-n/

I thought this was really interesting. Basically just the next step forward from what they are doing with Google Earth, but still, the potential with this technology is awesome.

Replies

• notman
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Cool, but damn, could that pack be any larger? Looks like he's strapped the google maps car on his back. Seems like they have some redundant hardware too, but then again, I'm not on the project, so I don't know what led them to the devices they're using. I'm just kind of surprised they aren't using front facing devices to help detect distance to objects ahead, and calculate location on that. They do that with Adaptive Cruise Control and the backup sensors in vehicles.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    They say it could be used for video games, but I wouldn't want to clean up, optimize, and retexture everything.
  • Moosey_G
    Cleaning up alone would be a nightmare I assume, even without optimizing. I like the idea though.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah it'd be awesome reference materiel for more complex interiors, but they never showed how well it worked for something that wasn't square.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    yeah it'd be awesome reference materiel for more complex interiors, but they never showed how well it worked for something that wasn't square.

Square wouldn't be an issue, considering those surfaces aren't any more different for the camera than an irregular surface, but heavily overlapped stuff could end up messy.

Still, possibly several passes could fix that.

Once this stuff gets up to a workable level it will be awesome, so many buildings and stuff to go into in google earth, and also:

STRAP IT ON A CAVE EXPLORER!