Home Unreal Engine

Overlay mode in UDK?

Hi all!

I am trying to mimic the overlay function in 3D Max in the UDK material editor.

Any tips on what node I should use?

Use: Trying to add a grunge map to overlay a base material.

* it needs to act like overlay function: add and multiply haven't produced the correct effect.

Replies

• The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Zazerzs,

This might be what your looking for;
    http://tech-artists.org/wiki/Blending_functions

From memory, I found that (Base Map * 2) * Overlay gave similar results if you want something simple.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    from the link the flying monk posted take the top part of the code and put it into a custom node like this

overlayx.jpg

the result will most likely look different to what it looks like in photoshop due to the hdr tonemapper and other adjustments udk does to the textures.

you could also reconstruct it with the nodes already in udk but it's very complex and actually more expensive than the custom node.

i'd think about whether or not you actually need the lighter parts in the overlay texture or if you couldn't make due with a texture that works with a multiply and only adds darker parts.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    This might be a great help for me guys, thank you!
    I'll update, with the result if I succeed!
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    UDK comes pre-packed with material functions for various blending modes including overlay. In the mat editor, in the Material Function Library panel (should be on the right under the Material Expressions panel by default), drag in the Blend_Overlay node.