Home› General Discussion

Good Modeling Projects for a newbie?

So I'm just starting to learn how to model, using the XSI 6 Mod Tool. I've already modeled some stuff, so I know the basics, like extrusion and the like.

However, I just cannot get started modeling something, mostly because I can't find enough reference pictures. (The other bit are the fact that when I hit a snag, I don't try to work it out and just give up on the model, but that's not really anything that you guys can help me with.)

So are there any projects out there that can teach me the more advanced stuff? Is there something that you guys used when you were starting modeling?

Replies

• brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    My advice to you,

find something simple that interests you. Start it, finish it - no matter how long it takes or how many issues you run into.

Doesn't matter what you model, you'll always run into problems. Problems of which you'll have to find work arounds for.

The more models you complete the more you'll know about how to pre-plan your next model. Not to mention - and some may disagree - you'll get a weird, nerdy sort of confidence boost for completing a model. lol..

Have fun with it too. Don't stress out. Create a thread and ask questions if need be. :)

Good luck.
  • IEatApples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea just find anything simple, model the computer your working on if you want, all the reference you need right infront of you. As brandoom days you will run into a lot of problems that will make you give up, but sticking with it and finding out how to solve these problems is the best way to learn.

I've had many days smashing my face against a keyboard because of normal maps but it gets easier each time...
  • Portalboat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mostly now I can't model stuff because I don't have enough reference material....and I also need help modeling organics.