Home Technical Talk

daylight system 3ds max help

hey guys i have a problem i need to fix rather fast!

i have put in a daylight system and am using mental ray render in max2010.

i have the whole scene lit the way i want it but for some reason my characters skin comes up as black in the render know matter where i position the daylight. but in the scene the model its lit well.

the skin shader im using is the MR SSS fast skin material.

someone please help.. .this is due in a day and i need a bout 15 to 17 hrs to render.

Replies

• cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i know this area is not really for this kinda stuff but im not getting any reply's from
    TT.

i have a problem i need to fix rather fast!

i have put in a daylight system and am using mental ray render in max2010.

i have the whole scene lit the way i want it but for some reason my characters skin comes up as black in the render know matter where i position the daylight. but in the scene the model its lit well.

the skin shader im using is the MR SSS fast skin material.

someone please help.. .this is due in a day and i need a bout 15 to 17 hrs to render.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    exampleissue.jpgexample of what happens

lowside.jpghow it was looking b4 i added daylight..
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should probably play with the scale of your SSS shader. The shader is very dependant of scene scale. Also i would try with a spotlight first, beacuse its harder to see SSS shaders with all that fancy indirect illumination.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    upload the file, or just a part of it
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    have you enabled the exposure controls and loaded the daylight preset?
    also make sure that the daylight system is set to mrsun and mray sky
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a checkbox in fastsss shader rollout saying 'screen (soft) compositing of layers'

You need to either turn it off or on, I don't remember precisely.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    also test around with the settings in the skinshader itself, there is that one option "screen soft whatever" that makes it greyish and dull and i never understood whats it for

:edit:
    just searched for it
    3.3 Important note on fast SSS and Sun&Sky
    To use the mental ray fast SSS shaders together with the high dynamic range indirect sun and skylight, it is very important to turn on the Indirect parameter so the SSS shader can scatter the skylight (which is considered indirect).
    It is equally important to turn off the Screen composit parameter (otherwise the output of the SSS shaders are clamped to a low dynamic range and will appear to render black).
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    The black shading normally means the shader isn't compatible with the renderer.
    Make sure you have mental ray set as your current renderer and not scanline.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    cabley123: I've merged the two threads. In future, just be patient instead of creating duplicate threads in different sub-forums.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Turn off Screen composition.
  • cabley123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry MoP will do. :)

like i said i had to solve this fast so i just created a standards mat with a similar look to it.

thanx for all the aid
    i tried clicking that check box that Sandro talked about, had a fiddle with the mat SSS settings and got results.

but i had to render the animation so il give it a shot at re rendering soon.

thanx again