Home General Discussion

Tester 2 Artist?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Byren polycounter lvl 8
Hey dudes!

Just wanted to ask a quick question to those of you that are already 'there'. (or anyone really I guess)

So, I'm tester currently working at Lionhead, and although it's good fun, I basically see this job as a stepping stone to an artist role - especially since I'm in the rare position of being able to literally go upstairs and ask one of the guys off the bat, rather than take part in the horrible e-mail/phone dance that the majority of us have been through!

The question that I want to ask you you guys is this:
How would you actually approach one of the artists or recruiters to ask about this? and to those of you actually in an artist position, how would you like to be approached by a wannabe artist? (if at all :P)

I have some of my work online (My actual site's off-line for some reason, though I still have my blog), http://obrien-art-blog.blogspot.com/

to be honest, I don't feel as though I'm good enough to work as an artist here, but I'd be an idiot if I didn't try, so any advice would be lovely!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Hey man, your work's definitely on the right track. Keep at it!

It's a bit of a hard slog from QA into the rest of dev, but it definitely happens. You have a leg up on all the rest of the applicants who are outside looking in, simply because you have access. You still have to show your chops of course, being inside is only a foot in the door, so to speak.

Keep talking it up with the artists, ask quickie workflow questions. Don't get too much in their face, they have work to do just like anyone else. But some casual banter is a good thing, develop a rapport.

Also I'd recommend approaching the Art Director or Lead Artist, the one who hires new artists. Get on their radar. It's always preferrable to hire from within, it's more of a known quantity.
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    ^ What he said ^

Talk to Artists, get friendly enough that they know your name. Talk to a Lead in whatever dept you want to go into (env, char, anim, fx, etc.) and tell them what you'd like to do. Show them some of your work and ask them what they'd want to see in you before they'd hire you to position X. If you're not all fanboi or crazy over the top, they should be pretty cool about helping you up.
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I would say approach the lead in a friendly manner and explain what your all about. Let him/her know your intent to move into an artist role and ask if they would have a spare minute some time to look at your stuff or introduce you around. If you are respectful of the fact that they are all very busy I am sure that your in house artists would give the time of day as long as you were not pestering them. Depending facet of game art you want to do, the lead might be able to get you talking to one of the artists in those departments.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Failing that just do one of the artists at the Christmas party.........
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 14
    If runners can go from doing running errands to becoming artists, producers and other things then a tester should be able to do the same thing.
    Good luck!
  • Byren
    Offline / Send Message
    Byren polycounter lvl 8
    Skulburn wrote: »
    Hey, i'd be interested to know info from this as well, i've recently applied for a tester position (at Lionhead too!! :D) and i'd be looking to make the transition after some time, into another role.

lol, nice.

Thanks for all of your advice guys, a lot of good points for me to take in here :)
  • Ex-Ray
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Byren

Just wanted to say I'm living proof it can happen as I was in a similar situation. Granted I had some advantages in that they knew from my CV I was an artist and I had Uni friends working there as artists so my transition was much easier.

I did put my head down and worked hard as a tester and I was fortunate that some tasks involved talking to the art manager and producers. So I was able to 'prove myself' to them and showed them that I had the right attitude, wasn't scared to chase up issues, be able to communicate and work well with others.