Home Technical Talk

Current Generation PS3/360 CUBE MAPS/

Does anyone know the average texture size for cube maps(per face) in current generation console games???
ie.

I hear rumblings of 512 sq. each face.

edit: I meant for Skyboxes....

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the ones I've seen and used in the past were 256-128 per face, you really dont need super high res, a blurred reflection usually looks better, you are never going to really see crisp details. the main thing is the light sources and hues are properly approximated in the map.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    256 for things that need to look like they are reflecting the world so they will have a cube map created from inside the level. Some where generic enough that it could work for most if not all situations.

128 For general things like metal and stuff that just needs that little bit of reflectivity but dosnt need to reflect details like buildings and things.

We also have a dynamic environment map function that reflects like true reflections so no cube map is needed. But that is more expensive so its not used on everything. Its used only when a case requires that effect.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd think HDR is more important than resolution with cubemaps.
  • kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I'd think HDR is more important than resolution with cubemaps.

I'll second that.
  • cbalassu
    My Apologies....I should have been more clear....I meant to say Cube maps for SKY BOXES in Video games.

The info I got is still usefull and thanks so far to those who responded!

Cheers!
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    in BC2 our average sky textures was about 1024x256
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    perna wrote: »
    Laurens and Kodde, interesting.

I disagree about HDRI envmaps being particularly advantageous in real-world situations for general game scenarios.

i disagree with your disagreence ;-) if your engine/art is using your reflection maps enough and you are using a large range of hdr in your lighting...most games still using 2 or 3 x visi range (gives impression but in no way realistic) having a hdr value in your reflectionmaps alpha is very important ....

the higher the res the better your chrome type reflections (very high gloss) will be as long as your reflection maps are dynamic or generic enough not to have obvious discrepancies with the world

vice-versa maps for low gloss materials such as brushed metal can be much lower res and blurred or you could force the shader to draw a lower mip of your highres map giving much the same result but can result in slight issues in the corners of the refmap...

I would say 256* for each face is the largest ive ever needed to go on this generation
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Perna, so instead you would prefer to use shader tricks to get the luminance values back to something comparable (power, multiply)? To my experience, this has never worked that well in Unreal. Even when using a second intensity mask, you still don't get such a vibrant range of colors in reflections. I can show some tests/examples if i have time.