Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Waterfall Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
I'm working on a waterfall environment based off this concept (not done by me).
WDI7dl.jpg

Here's a block out in modo.
qdIG2.jpg

And here's my progress so far:
K9iCS.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    look at the rocks in the concept much better shapes than you have there more sharpeness
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    look at the rocks in the concept much better shapes than you have there more sharpeness
    Agreed. Biggest issue with the start is that your rocks have become very standard, roundish video game rocks. Concept has nice angled, flatter slate-like rocks, which seems more interesting. It also allows for the water to fall off of them more interestingly, which would be nice to do with some alpha cards.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Hmm, this was a concern I had. Kinda struggling with the best way to approach those. :S I'm thinking possibly make one slatish rock and then use Mesh Inset in ZBrush to extrude some nice angular rocks from a surface. I can then use the rock I used to create the extrusions as a filler prop for the rest of the scene.

Going back and forth in my head between using alpha cards and particles for the water. :S

Thanks for crits! <3
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I would make 2 or 3 variations of a rock and just crash it through each other to get the shapes, as long as you scale and rotate each one a bit it should not be noticeable that its only 3 rocks. plus then your texel density will be a lot better than if you make one big shape thats 100% unique
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix wrote: »
    Going back and forth in my head between using alpha cards and particles for the water. :S

use both, alpha'd meshes with animated uvs for the main sheets of water with particles to break up the pattern and add a touch more dynamism will give you the best result
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking cool so far, not much to say that hasn't already been said about the rocks..

I'm curious to see how you approach the waterfalls though, I'm currently building a scene that has waterfalls as well but I've never used particles and animated textures so I will likely be lurking :)
  • kris4an4o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there ,

I look at this concept ,and I must say i really like the idea.However your stones could use a bit chipped shape and more sharpness.By chance I happen to have a recent model i modeled yesterday.You can see it HERE.And nice techniques to make stones I can also suggest - visit THIS blog , It has great VIDEO tutorials (linked by the right side).They are procedural stone modeling tutorials.Great job so far :thumbup:
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Khalamea wrote: »
    It's looking cool so far, not much to say that hasn't already been said about the rocks..

I'm curious to see how you approach the waterfalls though, I'm currently building a scene that has waterfalls as well but I've never used particles and animated textures so I will likely be lurking :)

If you take a look in that GDC map in April UDk theres a waterfall in there :)
  • Khalamea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you take a look in that GDC map in April UDk theres a waterfall in there :)

Woah that is an awesome environment :o Thanks for pointing it out! Definitely saving the video for study
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Okay so I made a new rock and repeated it everywhere. It looks a load better! I might do more rock meshes down the line if I feel like I need more variety.

Thanks for the tips!

EjhIV.jpg
  • Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The moss is all over the place. In the concept you can see the green colouring gravitate more toward to the top/side of the entrance and the rocks under the water are relatively clean. Great work though, keep it up!
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would make a shader that allows you to use one vertex color channel to blend some moss/alge onto the rocks for areas ouside the fall, and perhaps use another color channel to blend in areas that are super shiny/wet looking. that way you could have 3 variations in surface type for constructing the surrounding mountain too.

the wet and shiny stuff might be a bit overkill/complicated but atleast having the moss blending in there would be super useful and allow you to get more out of that rock asset.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with pixel masher... also some drapped algae alpha planes will really set it off too... with some particle emmitters at the end for drops and the odd puddle on the bridge

edit you could also use the same sort of shader with an added uv scroll in the second set of uvs to acjheive the thick mist of water that the rocks inside the waterfall protrude out of
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Okee, got some better looking patchy algae in there. Also have some experimental wet rock on the right. Does it look right to you guys?

WJANN.jpg
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Quick update, added more rocks and an arch. Still fiddling with the light to get the best angle.

Going away for the weekend, see you guys on monday.

hxskD.jpg

CU5vD.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that last screen looks so much like a painting... very nice.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like this scene! I think the moss still looks a little fake on the rocks right now...I think its the harsh transition from completely covered in moss to not covered at all.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out..good luck!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    I would make a shader that allows you to use one vertex color channel to blend some moss/alge onto the rocks for areas ouside the fall, and perhaps use another color channel to blend in areas that are super shiny/wet looking. that way you could have 3 variations in surface type for constructing the surrounding mountain too.

the wet and shiny stuff might be a bit overkill/complicated but atleast having the moss blending in there would be super useful and allow you to get more out of that rock asset.

why? it looks to me like his UVs on the rocks are all unique anyway, no textures would be saved by making such a shader, which is usually their point
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry wrote: »
    why? it looks to me like his UVs on the rocks are all unique anyway, no textures would be saved by making such a shader, which is usually their point

there are a couple reasons, instead of having a rock diffuse with no moss, and a rock diffuse with moss, you could easily use a smaller tileable moss texture and save some memory.

but the texture saving thing wasnt the point of that shader idea, it allows you to get a lot more out of a single asset instead of having to make a bunch of variations, which saves time and it saves having to load a bunch of different models and shaders for each unique variation. basically it just allows you to make the most of an asset.

lookin cool feanix, the wet stuff looks pretty good, easily tweakable after the water fall itself is in place if it looks off. I would block in the mountain side before doing a bunch of smaller details, its the other major part of the scene. keep it up dude!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    There's one trick that you might want to apply to your rocks to make them pop out more.

Take your normal map, desaturate it and apply a high-pass filter in PS. Then, adjust levels (bring the midtone slider closer to hightone slider) until you have a strong contrast between the dark tones and bright tones which correspond to your edges. Place it on top of your diffuse and set bledning mode to either screen, lighter color or color dodge. The lines will be probably too clean, so beat them up a bit with some brushes, or apply Render Clouds as a mask (and tweak it until it looks right). I usually set opacity of the layer to 50, but it really depends on your diffuse.

Oh; and good luck with this scene :) I like that painterly feel you've got there.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the video, btw, kris4an4o! I somehow missed your post and that video was awesome!

The normal map thing worked nicely, teaandcigarettes, thanks! (big admirer of yours, btw! you are too good to be allowed).

Here's some progress. I'm going to to the water next.
    [IMG][/img]lWppD.jpg
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Progress on water. Particles to come!
    Evn8G.jpg
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, something isnt adding up. Your rocks and props have a certain look to them and now in this pic they are surrounded by what looks like different style rocks. Are these your rocks or placeholders? If they are your rocks I like them more than the ones that are surrounding the arch and think you should try to replace them with the rocks that are on the cliffs. Really like the flow of this piece, great choice of concept, perfect to show off environment skills in a manageable scene!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I really like the scale, but I think the bridge could use some pillars/support underneath it.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I'm totally confused by what you mean, Grey :S

I might add some of those towards the end, ZacD!
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @feanix: I think he means those rocks are more shinier and pop out more than the mossy ones you have.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    @skayne: Yes they are! :D

@haidddasalami: Ooooh. Well, they'll be mostly covered up by water. They're meant to look wet.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    feanix wrote: »
    @skayne: Yes they are! :D

@haidddasalami: Ooooh. Well, they'll be mostly covered up by water. They're meant to look wet.

Sure, they're wet. However they also just look like completely different assets (ie. you didn't just clone and reposition your original rocks but placed differently generated rock back there.) Such that your rock group surrounding the doorway don't match the style, shape, coloring, etc of it's surroundings.

I believe Grey's point was that perhaps those rocks would work better (with some tweaking) than those over the doorway. I know it hurts to throw stuff out but sometimes it's part of the game. :)

Or perhaps a meeting in the middle and just tweaking both sets of rock bodies to the point where they match better. You would then use your lighting to pop your area of focus.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    I'll post pictures of both rocks in a second. I'm going to finish the water (it's still very much a WIP) before I start worrying about whether the rocks behind the water match up with the rocks around the door.

yWUqy.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah def see what grey is saying. The rocks that look wet are much nicer looking and if you copied that look / material to the other rocks I think it would look much nicer overall.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Sick and tired of working on the water so I switched to some of the other assets that needed doing. In this case I added the small shrub trees and a modular cobble floor asset.

ph9bp.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    they leaves could be smaller, IMO. I don't think the giant round rocks are working very well for the ground. But the scene is really starting to come together, I like the misty look of the water, but there could be some denser streams going on too.

Keep up the great work.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    How are you setting up your waterfall? I've done plenty of them, and this doesn't look like one. I suggest a panning water fall mesh as a base, a falling water particle at the edge of each major fall, a foamy rapids at each base coupled with a large steam particle.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love color scheme and overall contrast.

That plant looks gigantic and waterfall is not convincing though. I would also breakup geometric shape of that bridge a notch to give it a bit more organic quality :)
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I actually have a bunch of totally different approaches going on in different areas. On the left you have pure particles, on the right you have meshes with particles added. I was experimenting to see what techniques I could use and what would look best. I am probably going to go with something similar to what cholden suggested!
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, worked a bit on the water. It's now mostly mesh based with a panning texture (and looks pretty sweet when it's moving). I just use one particle system at the moment but will add a wafting mist one at some point (at least).

I also changed the ground on the bridge, as you can see.

q9aEz.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    coming along quite nicely :)
    maybe try to put a fresnel into the water material transparency so you dont see those hard edges where the mesh is viewed in profile.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    needs a photo refed texture for the water will do wanders doesnt have to be that HRes as its going to be moving quick

possible waterfall texture

another
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Well the water's only a base. There plenty'o'particles now to give it a more waterfally feel. This what you're talking about?

d0IE2.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Way better. I can tell from looking at it that it probably looks better in motion (being that a heavy part of the composition is a waterfall in motion). You'd be in great favor to fraps up a vid on youtube or videom so we can see it work.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, did a video for you guys and added the stairs while I waited for Vimeo to convert.

VIDEO

sKa4C.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    The scene is really coming together and is looking great, but the waterfall is a bit odd yet. The left side is awesome, but on the right there's an emitter that just really throws the whole thing off in my opinion. The one where it looks like puffs of smoke are just coming out of the rock and slowly falling down.. and ends up taking up nearly the entire left side of the frame by the end of the video.

Other than that though, lookin swell sir!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That video is sick.

Seems like the big steam particle on the right is just falling, a rotation and possible scale may help. Opacity seem a tad strong but that could be the lighting. I'd also place some of the large steam particles in the lower right foreground (so a bit covers the bridge), and another on the other side as though it's the base of that major fall.

A drip particle for the entrance and rocks around would be a nice touch.

Don't be afraid to abuse vegetation to block any odd rock/water transitions.

Really coming together though,like a painting. Looking forward to see how that bridge ends up.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys!

Cholden, I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting with the placement of the large steam particles? Where did you mean, exactly?

YgUCG.jpg
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Misunderstood, I'm a genius.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <woosh sound effects>
    steamgoeshere1.jpg

ideally, the one on the right, in front of the bridge would barely peak the rail as not to compromise the composition.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Ahah! Not a bad idea! Will work on this tomorrow! Bed time for meeeeee!

EDIT: Exclamation marks!
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, so I tried cholden's idea. I'm not sure if it's me implementing the idea badly or something but it's not really working for me. It costs the scene about 10 fps and makes the whole thing seem a bit more fuzzy than I'd like.

KTZcf.jpg
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the left looks awesome like a painting while the right seems odd.