Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment - The Ottoman Workshop

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I agree, very nice and spare modeling so far! keep up.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, that's looking great so far. Lightmap looks fine to me, I can't see any bits that stick out to me.

Are you using any BSP or is it all static mesh?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, yeah it's always a nice surprise going from the Max viewport to UDK!

@Simmo - all meshes, I was originally gonna go for some BSP for the walls/floors just for simple material tiling purposes but I want the fans to actually be cut into the floor / wall which is entirely possible with BSP but I feel a bit more comfortable in having more control over it if I use a mesh instead. Also, looking at the walls, I'm probably gonna have a hard time figuring out how best to UV/Texture them since it has 3 or 4 levels of horizontal detail.

Actually I'll ask that question now. What would be a good way to UV / Texture the wall?

My first thought was just a horizontal tiler possibly with thirding if it got too blurry, but I kinda hoped I could include the trim around the door in the diffuse, and also you notice the upper portion of the wall in the concept has a kind of 'cutout' part above the door so now I'm thinking somehow using unique UV's. No idea though yet. Any suggestions?!

I could just model the trim and leave out that little cutout which would mean just using a horizontal tile.

Thanks again
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    add an extra row of geometry for the stuff around the door and do the rest with tiling textures and decals. the cutout part would probably not look too bad if it was repeated horizontally. repeat it or leave it out, just don't bog yourself down with not very important details that make your life a lot harder.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok today, between learning about UDK lighting, I played around with some ideas for how to texture the walls. I know to some of you this is gonna be a 'well duuuuh' moment, but I'd never done much with tiling textures and I assumed it was gonna be a pain to get a nice tile on the walls when there's hole's cut out for doors / the fan. Needless to say my concerns were unfounded and a 512 map seems to tile quite nicely. Here's my findings!

This texture is purely indicative for the sake of showing how I plan to tile it, it took me about 3 1/2 minutes to make, is made of just 2 concrete textures, and will be changed completely when I actually come to texture it. But it shows how well it seems to tile with just a 512. I'm not sure if I'll have the door geometry extending out from the wall like that, it may just go flush with the wall, but at least I can texture it independently now.

As for the little 'cutout' I mentioned in my previous post, I think even going by the method you explained Divi would be too much. When I can get away with a single tile, it seems crazy to cut up the geometry and spend ages making 3 sections tile for the sake of a minute detail. If anyone thinks that it is important then say, and I'll reconsider. I think it should look fine though, what with all the other detail that's on the wall like pipes etc.

ottomantilingtest1.jpg

61394086.jpg
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    all i said was to put it into the tiling texture and have it tile. will break up the straight lines a bit :)

edit: the smileys here are so smug, im always a bit ashamed of using them.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah sorry I clearly misread your post!

Yeah that's not a bad idea actually, it's not gonna be too prominent in other areas anyway because of the wall props, so maybe it might work out well and only be noticeable over the door.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, long time no update! I've been crazy busy with work and also finishing up some coursework for my degree but today I managed to get back into this project.

I've been working on the floor / wall textures and they're at the stage where I could use some crit I think. The floor is 3 custom concrete tiles blended using a mask in the material, then some decals around the hole. Then the wall is a single tile but it will also have some decals for cracks etc.

Excited to get back into this, and the pressure is most definitely on :D

ottomanwiptexturepass1.jpg