Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Engineer's Taser for TF2

eso
eso
Hi guys, I'm new around here, this forum has some amazing artists. I thought I'd attempt to add my own art... So here goes:

Note: This was created for the TF2 contribution page, not the Polypack competiton.
Cue crappy story:

One day when attacking in a tough game of Badwater, the Engineer decided that he hated nearly reaching his sentry after returning to the spawn point to rebuild a teleporter because his teammates were to useless to stop the spy, only to see some pesky soldier snipe his sentry down. So the Engineer decided to build a long range "wrench", so he could repair his sentry from a further distance. After many hours of toiling away in his workshop, the Engineer came up with...

I haven't yet decided on the specifics, such as will it fire electrical shells (like the Taser x12 Shotgun) or will it be more like a conventional taser, with prongs? So far I've modeled it to work like a double barrel shotgun, firing two electrical slugs, then needing to break, eject and reload. I also haven't decided which slot it will take up, as if it were a pistol, it could instead do something like boost the Engineer's buildings for a limited time, while still having the drawbacks such as limited ammo, and lower damage.

Now for PICTURES (everybody likes pictures right???):

Front:

taserwip6.jpg

Back:

taserwip7.jpg

Perspective 1:

taserwip5.jpg

Perspective 2:

taserwip4.jpg

Note: These are just basic renders, while I test out the colour scheme. The model is not completed, and it took me about 2 hrs to make up to this point. The wire from the gun is to be the orange colour of the tubing on the Engineer's sentries, and the gun will have the typical yellow and black striped taser pattern (in a specific section, not all over), while keeping with the basic TF2 colour palette.
ANY CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK/CRITICISM IS WELCOMED! And thank you for reading.

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really blocky.

Wire on the handle looks wild and out of control.

I'd look at some ref images and make a spin off model based on those. That's how I made my taser model.

Taser%20X26_1.jpg
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    id loose the wire. Noone would ever design a gun with a wire obstructing the grip
  • eso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eso
    n88tr wrote: »
    Looks really blocky.

Wire on the handle looks wild and out of control.

I'd look at some ref images and make a spin off model based on those. That's how I made my taser model.
    Hmmm... I thought about the more angular part at the end of the barrel, but I decided initially that I wouldn't, after seeing this image:
    Air_Taser_Gun_Style.jpg
    I thought that the end angular part was removable, as part of the prongs... However seeing as TF2 is rather based around silhouettes, I think it probably would be worth redoing the end part, to make it more easily distinguishable as a taser rather than just the normal pistol. Also, I agree the wire does need work, but as a basic idea for the engineer, based off of the wire on his sentry gun:
    TF2_Sentry_02.jpg
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    id loose the wire. Noone would ever design a gun with a wire obstructing the grip
    The point of this model is that the Engineer (from TF2) decided to cobble something together. It means that it isn't going to be a completely conventional gun. Although I can see that if I'm going to keep it I'll certainly need to move it out, giving the character's hand some more space.