Home Technical Talk

Help getting started?

I'm not sure if this is even the right place to ask and I don't want to annoy people but I was looking for a little help from some people who really know what they are doing. Basically I'm looking to get into 3d modeling starting with TF2 items but then doing a whole lot more (I'm also currently starting to learn C#) the problem is I have no idea where to start.

I wanted to ask personal opinions of a good site for tutorials preferably free and what your prefered programs to use are? are there any programs that are better than the rest even though they might be harder to use and so on?

Sorry for the questions but I want to make sure I get a good foothold to ensure I can easily find help because its more than likely I'll struggle at first.

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Welcome to Polycount!

Don't confuse programming with 3d modeling and art. Two distinct differences with one of them a hybdrid in the industry (more aligned with maxscript or mel) we refer to as TA's or Technical Artist.

http://wiki.polycount.com/Polycount

Link is a good place to start, I highly recommend you take a look at the foundations and get a general understanding for the workflow before diving in. Of course when it comes down to it, the best way to learn is to simply get started and work issue by issue.
  • VANGUARD
    kaburan wrote: »
    Welcome to Polycount!

Don't confuse programming with 3d modeling and art. Two distinct differences with one of them a hybdrid in the industry (more aligned with maxscript or mel) we refer to as TA's or Technical Artist.

http://wiki.polycount.com/Polycount

Link is a good place to start, I highly recommend you take a look at the foundations and get a general understanding for the workflow before diving in. Of course when it comes down to it, the best way to learn is to simply get started and work issue by issue.

Thanks for the reply :) I prefer the idea of modeling over programming to be honest, I used to love using photoshop for 2D art but I kind of grew away from it. I am however really interested in 3D art as it seems like a good gateway to the two things I love game and film. I'll have a look at the wiki though :) hopefully it will make clear which are the best programs to use with so many on offer if there is infact a "best" program anyway.

EDIT: I'm not sure which program I should go with Maya, 3D Studio Max or XSI. Are any of them used more than the other two by people here?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Wiki doesn't have much yet on which 3D programs to use.

For games, 3ds Max seems to be used slightly more often than Maya, with XSI a more distant third. However all three are very capable. There are also free or low-cost alternatives, see the Archive sticky Free or low cost 3D and 2D apps.
  • VANGUARD
    Wiki doesn't have much yet on which 3D programs to use.

For games, 3ds Max seems to be used slightly more often than Maya, with XSI a more distant third. However all three are very capable. There are also free or low-cost alternatives, see the Archive sticky Free or low cost 3D and 2D apps.

Thanks thats exactly the answer I was looking for :) I'll most likely go with 3DS Max then :) Time to find some tutorials and give it a bash.
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    If you end up going with 3DS Max for modeling you might also want to check out the Eat3D "Max 101" dvd, which I've heard is great for beginners (and everything I've seen of theirs has been very good). Sculpt wise ZBrush is the most commonly used.

If your on a strict budget however you'll probably want to use Silo for modeling, Sculptris for sculpting, and Blender for the rest.
  • VANGUARD
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    If you end up going with 3DS Max for modeling you might also want to check out the Eat3D "Max 101" dvd, which I've heard is great for beginners (and everything I've seen of theirs has been very good). Sculpt wise ZBrush is the most commonly used.

If your on a strict budget however you'll probably want to use Silo for modeling, Sculptris for sculpting, and Blender for the rest.

Thanks for the Eat3D link :) That site looks great for learning which is a life saver as the tutorial I wanted to look at on the wiki is an outdated link :(