Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Desert Scene WIP

Replies

• duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Andrew Mackie : thanks for digging my work! for the rocks in this scene i just created the base meshes in 3d max and then added sculting details in zbrush followed by normal texturing methods in photoshop. i have found rocks studies al overthe internet just goggle or youtube it ...
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, that's how I figured you did them. But I wanted to see if you had any secret ways on how to do them easier :p
    Take care.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wait i do have a zbrush workflow to create NM's from. i got it from a friend which i credit and his name is TIM GRAYBILL hope it helps ya :

z brush normal map baking steps
    1, Ok so your finished sculpting your detail in z-brush, now you want to make you low poly model in max and you want to make it reflect the
    silhouette of your High poly.(I usually export a low poly version of the model from zbrush to model over with the low poly in max to get the silhouette
    just right)
    2. when you have you low poly mesh uv mapped and ready to bake you import it into z brush just as you would any model as an obj format.
    3. now that you have both models imported you want to start with the High poly model. you want to lower the subdivision levels to the lowest level
    or close to the lowest level (z mapper doesnt like high poly counts). (Important) Once you do that make sure and go to the texture menu on the right
    side of your screen and click the disable uvs button. only do this for the high poly model since we want the uvs from the low model.
    4. now we go to z mapper . with the High poly model selected, click the z mapper button on the top left of the screen. In z mapper click the open
    configuration button and pick 3d max tangent spaced normals best quality. Then go to projection tab. click the button called Capture current mesh .
    (this stores you high poly model). Now click the z mapper button again to exit z mapper.
    5. now go to you low poly model and go straight back in to z mapper. you High poly model should still be there and now all you have to do is hit
    Create Projection normal map. give it a minute to bake the texture. Now you should see your normal map applied to the model.( if it looks correct move
    on to step 6, if not you could try adjusting the Raycasting Max Scans Distance. It works kinda like a cage. if this doesn't work you may need to
    go back to max to adjust your model.)

6. now that your normal map is made all you have to do is go to thetexture drop down at the top of your screen, and click the export button to
    export your normal map.
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THANKS DUXUN!
    I'll be working on sculpting my high poly rocks tonight so I can follow this.
    I was also thinking of using xnormals to transfer the maps, but I'll do both and see what I understand the easiest.
    :D
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happy sculpting !! thank tim graybill for that !!! im just passing on the knowledge (spelling lol) .

Cheers...
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, thanks to both of you for your help.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    np andrew :poly121:..