Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Project Unity

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
I'm helping some friends with a game they're working on (Project Unity) mostly doing environment art. I've never used Unity before, though, so any help you could offer would be much appreciated =]. To the best of my knowledge this will be distributed as a browser game, so if you have any suggestions for optimizing texture size/ terrain density/ poly counts (har har) then I'm all ears ^__^

Assets
- Terrain
- Water
- Palm Tree
- Bush
- Castle
- Tower
- Steeple
- Wall Segment
- River Bridge
- Tiled Brick Segment
- Metal Strut Segment
- Metal Girder Pillar
- Pillar Support Chain
Rope Bridge
- Wooden Plank Segment
- Rope Handrail Segment
- Rope Land Anchor Post

So far I've built some terrain in Unity, applied a placeholder grass texture, and I'm starting the assets as soon as I finish with this post =]

gef_fld07_build_01.jpg

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    that terrain is very terraced looking, are you going to weather it at all?
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is terraced, but the game is almost top-down. It's a remake/port of Ragnarok Online, so the game's camera will behave similarly. The terrace-ing is more to divide high and low level mobs. Most of the weathering will be handled by textures, to make it look as natural as possible. I did forget to add ramps to get between the levels, though, so I should do that now. Here's the map and some screens from IRO that they have me using for reference:

gef_fild07.gif
    screenValkyrie002.jpg
    screenValkyrie003.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, looks like instead of using the ragnarok map for reference you are making a 1:1 recreation.
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of level layout, you're absolutely correct. Visually, however, the game should be quite a bit different. I don't know if I'd want to work on it if it were just a 1:1 port. That would seem a bit boring, I think. :poly121:

For example, this is a screen of what one of the other artists put together for the main town.

geffen.jpg

This is what the original town looked like:

geffen%20realz.jpg

A lot of the buildings are just stand-ins right now, but I think it gets the idea across. As they describe it on their website, "Unity RO is designed by fans, for fans using the Unity engine. This game is what we invisioned Ragnarok 2.0 to be."

Personally this project is a way for me to learn Unity's ins and outs while helping out some friends, and hopefully get some more environment art experience between contracts. :)