Home Contests & Challenges Archives

TF2 - Polypack - Y_M

Replies

• Guitbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, not necessarily a "whacky add-on", but it could use a little something extra. What about something like this?

medigun.jpg

Got the idea from a Klobb

klobb1.jpg

just something... more
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd agree with Psyke and say that it looks good enough as it is. Personally I think having a stock like that kind of ruins the look of it. It just doesn't feel right.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe the texture will make it stand out more. It is technically proficient and very well modeled - yet, it kind of bores me to tears. :(
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I've got thousands of tris left to work with, I'll leave it a few days to think what kind of additions would be good. I agree with you all, it isn't bad it just isn't great.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    To take a little break from the needlegun I dived straight into the melee weapon and hit a problem straight away.

I want something attached to the medic's wrist as well as something handheld, so I parent something to bip_lowerarm_R, try it out in the model viewer and when I load the medic's model it's floating away from where it should be, still parented to the correct bone though. The view model arms though, it's correctly positioned.

:( what do I need to do to get it correctly aligned to both the arms model and the main model? help!

edit:
    with a quick box to test it out, the arms show the correct position but the full model has it rotated:
    medic-arm.gif
    Any ideas what causes this or how to fix it?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Looks like the bones in the viewmodel and the bones in the world model have different locations. I'm afraid I'm not sure how to fix it.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Swapping ideas slightly and with sparkwire's help that idea is back up and running.

defib-wip-2.jpg
    defib-wip-1.jpg

A rather vicious looking improvised defib. He'll hold the battery in his left hand and the loose wires in his right.
  • Celysus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AMAZING work, I love your designs and everything!

I think that "The Overdose" would be a more fitting name for the needle gun, but either way it's totally awesome.
    :D
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Celysus wrote: »
    AMAZING work, I love your designs and everything!

I think that "The Overdose" would be a more fitting name for the needle gun, but either way it's totally awesome.
    :D

The Uberdose
    hands down however in german I think it basically means super can so maybe not
    But I still like the name
    **** now I can't get that out of my head!!!
    SCOUT!!!
    "Yo wassup?"
    BRAIN BLEACH NOW I'M IMAGINING A SUPER SOUP CAN!
    "yeah no, just let it pass I'll need it later I hear my moms going to meet with the Spy again"

*passes out*
    *twitches*
    *mumbles something about ubersoup*
  • Snowloss
  • The Scrub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowloss wrote: »
    ... wat?
    wah?
    sorry just blacked out.
    I was thinking about an item name for that syringue gun. maybe I'll check two posts above me^^
    *passes out again*
  • Dr. Waldo Fehr
    I don't mean to necropost, but with time running low, are you going to be able to get 1-2 new items up in 4 days? I love the medigun, no one else is doing one if I recall.

EDIT: Perhaps you might've been working in secrecy?
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Just so happens you necropost at the same time as I revive activity. Not much has been going on, I've been learning other stuff.

The defib just needs a texture if sparkwire is going to animate it, if not I'll sort something out before the deadline.

If no one has anything amazing to suggest for this I think I'm going to call it a day
    needlegun-wip-11.PNG

So that's needle gun, medigun and backpack done with a melee potentially hours away from being done. I'm not sure I want to do a hat (they suck!) so I'd want to do a misc item, I can get one done in 4 days.
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was worrying you forgot about it all for a bit there. Glad you're completing this pack. :)
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Recreating these tonsil guillotines for the melee.
    tonsilguillotine.jpg

tonsilguillotines-wip-2.jpg

They don't look all that deadly, I'm thinking about having the end caps snapped off so the guillotines are visible. ideas?
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everyones doing large blunt objects. why not just 2 small..tiny scalpels one for each side of the tongs
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M wrote: »
    They don't look all that deadly, I'm thinking about having the end caps snapped off so the guillotines are visible. ideas?

That's a good idea. You could also have some other simple surgical tools taped onto the business end.

Hazel_MaryCope2.jpg
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just strap a bunch of needles and other sharp tools in a saw like arrangement...

I.E. two scaples taped to the ends, the assorted needles strapped to the sides, facing downwards (would fit with the bonesaw animations.)
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seems everyone is suggesting the same thing as me haha
  • jgoodroad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyke wrote: »
    seems everyone is suggesting the same thing as me haha

I was adding to your suggestion...
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    scalpel sharp guillotines now free to slice up whatever (or whoever) gets in their way:
    tonsilguillotines-wip-3.jpg

Now I've done it I'm not so concerned about the loss of form from removing the ends.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    That's four items finished. I decided to put the ends back onto the tonsil guillotines since they lost interest without them.

Really glad this is over, I've enjoyed working on these models and learnt a lot about modelling in the process. The gf will also be pleased it's over since I've neglected her a bit this weekend to get everything done.

theoverdose.png
    tonsil-guillotines.png

Updated this too (still on the front page)
    All-items-promo.png

Just gotta sort out all my directories, tidy up my source files and pack them together for uploading. 30 hours left, plenty of time :)
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job! may I ask what the name Schwaben Charger 9000 references?
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome, especially like the medigun which is very distinguishable from the medigun unlike kritzkrieg
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    @khthon it references the region of Germany Stuttgart is in.
  • Stevio Pistachio
    once its all complete will you be putting some download links for them up? (as skins) - i especially want the medigun and backpack ones cos they looks AWESOME :D
  • theharribokid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To do the backpack YM would have to decompile the medic's world model and edit it which might take alot of work, so dont keep your hopes up for it Stevio.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Actually that's not true, but it would have to replace a hat, and the loss of the original backpack would be applied to every medic regardless of whether the new backpack was present. I could tie it to a weapon instead of a hat, but then it would disappear for the other two weapons, I really don't want to make new versions of all six weapons just to add a backpack either.

I don't think I'm going to release them as standalone reskins, if I do it will be after the actual update, just in case valve do it themselves.

Thanks for being interested though :P
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    ya, its not needed to change the world model. I managed to get my proton pack on char models backs by just changing which bone in the rig to attach to. only problem is you would need to make sure it engulfs the original medic pack.
  • bunivasal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realize this is ancient now, but the backpack has been turned into a bodygroup with an invisible submodel. You can now attach anything you want to the medic's back.