Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook - gibson543

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
gibson543 polycounter lvl 13
Sup guys, I've made two WIP threads all ended terribly.. really because I don't have enough time in my day to dedicate. And so I made this thread to just dump some art whenever I can, and hopefully I can get some crits. Here are some quick thumbs for a character. Which one you like? Kinda goin for a ninja dude. First guys completely jacked, and he will kick your ass. the middle guy is smaller but you still don't wanna get in his way especially with that blade. And the last guy is a large guy with lots of armor on him. :) They're not that good, but I wanna see if you guys can help me improve a little.

ninjathumbs1.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    on the 1st guy does he have armoor or no shirt? if he has no shirt i think the chest anatomy is off and also the arms
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No thats not armor, the only guy with armor is the last guy. ok so put anatomy on my to do list
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsc03067f.jpg

Few Sketches, studies and tests. Have lots more just gotta upload them to imageshack :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsc03069m.jpg

nother one
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, I'm glad that you're studying and looking at things to draw, such as... your hand (?). What you may want to start doing is start breaking down the human body into simple forms/shapes so you have an easier time getting the proportions correct. I would recommend looking at anatomy for artists books. And for thumbnail designs, The Skillful Huntsman is a good book to reference from and see how they approach it. With enough practice and patience, you will see improvement. Keep on posting =]
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is just of the whole sheet. Prob shoulda just posted this to start with lol. And thanks geeshin :) I'll definetly do that

dsc03066e.jpg

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    What geeshin said really.

This is great for proportions btw. Check it out. :)
    http://cedarseed.deviantart.com/art/Big-Guide-to-Drawing-the-Body-15014442
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comment, but the tut picture is broken :(

Edit: Also thinking about starting some character orthos from those thumbs. will post in a bit :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You need to practice on your characters Gibson...Just as we suggested Marlfox.

www.idrawgirls.com

this website brought me up to a decent level from the doodling level. <.<

Good luck.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new sketch. front ortho view. lots of proportion issues, one noticable one being the length of the legs. But I think i got the anatomy and shape a little better C and C :)

dsc03074i.jpg

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nothin. but whatever still gonna keep posting. this time side ortho. Torso needs to be a little bigger but I've learned some stuff by drawing these :)

dsc03076s.jpg

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Grab some real anatomy reference and do it right. Right now you just did like a third of the visible muscles. Also those sketch photos are huge. Size them down plz.

The link worked for me, but I needed to click on the image to make it work.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with AimBiZ, you seriously require the reference to do it right.
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agreed once again. bridgeman is pretty helpful. u can also acess the loomis books herehttp://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=24&cat=12check out the loomis book on hands and the figure drawing one. do some studies from there.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all of the comments everyone. And I have a little bit of a problem... I have a face that I'm fairly content with. But now I'm completely stumped as to how I should go about modeling the actual head. I've tried about three different ways so far and without success. Could some of you guys give me crits on the face and tell me how I could go about modeling the head?

mcrhw7.png
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And also, I see you are trying to make the concept art...Try the Alchemy tool...does the work neatly. :)

That is for starters
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah totally forgot about alchemy thanks just downloaded it now :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sup, nother drawing i'm going to use for a character :) Question about the head still stands

dsc03078.jpg

Also decided to try Texturing MoP's goblin

goblinwip.png

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shit I'm back to triple posting. Am I that bad? Decided to try Marks tut. Made this really quick. C and C on this and everything above as well :) (post please)

rockwip.jpg

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, you are still not getting to the point where you fine tune your character(s)
    The link I gave you have awsome tutorials.
    www.idrawgirls.com
    It is the site I went to learn how to draw girl figure. Also, use your own judgement to see if you are getting the shape you are looking for.

You need to learn how human anatomy is drawn. This link along with the conceptart.org will extremely help you boosting your skills to good level from novice.

Fix't
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah nitewalkr you mis-typed that link it's actually a link to a meet girls in your area site lol but I got the site thanks :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to bump this shit up! Wanted to come up with a full character idea/concept. So I started to type up and do some thumbnailing. Order of thumbs. 1)Naked. 2)Basic Armor, little bigger. 3)huge guy. WILL kick your ass. Inspiration from Jfletcher's DWIII entry and Jeremy Gritton's DWIV entry

generalweepsheet.jpg

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like Professor Putraside :D

But I'll keep checking your thread for updates..You still have to practice alot before you are satisfied with your character. :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I posted a model request thread on TGC, so here's one of the things people suggested I model, a phonebooth. Here's the high-poly.

highphone.png

I'm really trying to find my way around the inadequate tools I have, I mean, no n-gon support, shitty UV editing, crappy sculpt tools, etc
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and I created a livestream so all of you can yell at me while I work. :) It would be greatly appreciated if you stopped by to help me out, I'm going to be on it quite often.

http://www.livestream.com/gibson543
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe quadruple post i dunno, but does anyone have any simple projects for someone that wants to get into environment art, character art is just not doing it for me. So if anyone has a simple prop project that I could do please post. I'm picking up workflows from tutorials right now but I can't think of anything to model.
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright hey guys, another update, no art this time (although I do have some things waiting to be scanned) But I do have an idea for an RPG game plotline that I might think about turning into a project for myself and a few others. It's a little cliche, and I think it took me about ten to fifteen minutes to come up with the plot. So here it is.

Ok, you are a small boy living in the country with his mother and father. Your country is in the midst of war, but your family has never had to worry about it because you are quite isolated, and the only areas of civilation near you are very small villages. But one night, while you were sleeping, your fater runs into your room and carries you into the cellar and leaves you there. You here struggling upstairs....You enventually fall asleep, and wake up the next morning. You come out of the cellar and the first thing you see is your father with a knife in his chest. Your mother is no where to be found in the house. You walk outside and see your mother, also dead, but with all of her clothes off. Walking back into the house, you see a note on your bed, your father must have written it quickly before the struggle. It said 'Soldiers from Nightwood' And you realize, that soldiers from the opposing country in the war where the ones that attacked your family. You go to town with your story and the majority of the town had the same thing occur, apparently a band of around twenty or so soldiers came to town and surrounding houses. Pillaging whatever they saw. It is at this moment that you swear revenge on Nightwood and all of its soldiers, you vow to find out what squad did this horrible deed, and kill them. But you wouldnt join the army no, you would be a bounty hunter, an assassin, a rouge. You won't be taking sides, you only want those twenty men dead....

Possible name - Twenty

game info - Ok I was thinking about making this a last - gen WoW sorta thing, but with this kinda mood I think it has to be next-gen. Next-gen realism in a medeval time setting of course. Using UDK

Alright so there it is, any crits, ideas, comments are anything please post :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    303g57b.jpg

Gonna start doing daily sketches, I'm thinking one is going to be pencil on paper and the other is going to be in photoshop, I'm not as good in photoshop as I am with a pencil, so it'll be good practice. Yesterday I did noses with pencil and paper and today I'll do noses in photoshop. And then maybe I'll do mouthes.

Any comments, crits, or anything you have post away :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woohoo! Seven posts in a row i believe. I SUCK!!!! YES!!!!

Nah jk Im still gonna keep at it, the sketchbook section isnt very popular anyway lol

293x3eq.jpg
    some eye sketches, I gotta work on them, they look freaky

2dbldv4.jpg
    And some mouthes, kinda meh

Sorry for some being cut off my scanner isnt big enough for my sketchbook

Any crits or comments are welcome
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I might just make a thread in PandP because I'm not getting enough crits on this board. Oh well, speed assest today, not entirely happy with it, just a simple rock I made in like an hour. I'm pretty bad on spec maps, gotta learn more about them. Its 256 tris with a 1024 diffuse 1024 normal and 1024 spec. Rendered in standerd blender rendering engine. Crits and comments always welcome of course.

rockrender.png
    render

rocktexturesheet.jpg
    texture sheet I know this isnt a portfolio ready sheet but all I need are crits THIS is definetly not going in a folio

Thanks
    -Will
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ummm... are you actually using ref for those anatomonical studies? or are you just drawing how you think it should look. get some ref and start drawing
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes marl I actually was using ref which is the sad part lol

Alright long time no post here but I just wanted to throw up some arm studies I did

edit: and i did not realize it was upside-down. oh well will edit

edit edit: much better

scanpic0005.jpg
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, looking at this thread I cringe, I think I've improved quite a bit from these crappy pieces of shit. I think.

So I just recently saw a painting by sampson in the WAYWO and I was like DAMN!!! so I thought I would do my first color study ever as some sort of preparation for more paintings to come, so yeah. I did this while I should be working on my environment, what can I say blocking is boring. And this is just as crappy XD

52447312.jpg
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Keep them studies at it m8! : ) It's gonna help you hugely (duno if that's even a word xD). Can't wait for you to post the phonebooth - perhaps I can give you crits on it later if you want, just send a PM or something. On the environment study you're making - it's an advantage having the image next to you when drawing, that way you maximise your learning. Since mimicin and studying is crucial when learning. But hey, you already know that! : ) Keep at it dood!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eoq, thanks for the comments, as for the phonebooth, I really don't think I'm going to be continueing it, it's a really old model that I really have no intentions of completing. I've been doing lots of studies, I've gotten much better at drawing haha I just haven't posted any of my pages. And yeah I basically copied that study off of Devin Busha's color study haha so thanks devin :) And now here's another painting, yeah......clouds and I've found the smudge tool really helpful when making clouds. I'm pretty pleased with this paint.

cloudspaint21911.jpg

any crits or comments or whatever would be cool
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Hey man, keep it up! Your cloud studies show a nice range in understanding for texture and blending. I'd like to see more anatomy sketches.

Point of observation though, when pencil sketching try and be more loose with the material. All of your lines seem to be a consistent line weight and it just seems like you need to free it up a bit. Start with base, base forms and then work up the contours from there on out. Try holding your pencil in different ways for looseness (giggity) and remember not to draw solely from the wrist. Also, bring your scans in to photoshop and adjust levels before you post them (shit is hard to look at lol).
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the comments, and yeah those sketches are pretty old and crappy, I cringe looking at them. Nowadays I am a lot more loose with my pencil, at least I think so, I've done lots of studies recently, which I'll try to upload, and alright haha I'll adjust them for you :)
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    lol don't do it for me. Do it for yourself :P
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alright, so I got into the all county art show competition for my school, one of three to in my grade to get in, but there are some people that seriously deserve it more than me, I kinda blew it off until the day before it was do, so I decided to do a digital painting, since a pencil drawing wasn't going to cut it, although I did do some, which I will try to scan, here is the painting I had to submit today, if I couldve made changes before handing it in I'd make the ocean line more level and add more webby foam detail on the waves.

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Bill/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]wavepainting.jpg

Any crits and comments or whatever would be awesome :) thanks!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    photo4mu.jpg

sorry for the large pic. A graffiti style sketchy sketch, the word is duo if you can't tell
  • wake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake polycounter lvl 17
    slow and steady wins the day gibson... your wave paint shows some nice improvement with color and brush control-- while you're getting more comfortable with color I'd recommend sticking to monochromatic or 2 color studies, that makes it easier to understand blending and value shifts than when you're trying to manage dozens.

Another thing-- keep up with the anatomy studies. A good exercise I've found which also helps build confidence involves working in a series of 3; first do a study from ref, then do a trace of that ref, and then for the third do another study. This type of work really helps to learn the shapes and volumes.

Good luck!
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wake - thanks for the suggestions wake, Ill be sure to use that anatomy exercise ;)

alright so yeah trying to get a handle on these photoshop shenanigans

portait892011.jpg

probably the best painting I've done yet, just monochrome dodge and burnin with some smudge, with a red soft light layer

I'm not really sure if dodge, burn and smudge is a no no, but its just so damn easy and quick I love it. So yeah same as always I welcome all crits/comments

oh and I gotta give it up to Bobo for the inspiration. I went into the far depths of the wiki and pulled some really old vids of him painting and after seeing these I just had to do something before I leave for vaca, thanks for getting me to get off my ass bobo :), I haven't done any digital in awhile

edit: just putting my exercise plan in here because I have nothing to write it on at the moment.

1. follow wake's guidelines on whatever part of the body. Traditionally first, digitally second.

2. Then do a digital sculpt

3. Then an oldschool texture

rinse and repeat
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wood1m.jpg

any crits on this wood would be appreciated :) All handpainted, although I added the extra color grainy look last, as I'm not sure how to incorporate it at the same time yet. will figure it out
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wood2j.jpg

try number two for today, think it came out better, but its not quite there yet....
  • Eoq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eoq polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers man, keep working on that wood texture - it's going to become awesome if you put alot of work in it :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Eoq! I'm puttin in the work and I think I'm slightly improving each one :)

wood4n.jpg

• gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nosestudy8222011.jpg

my first study using wakes study method, the ever exciting nose. The first painting of a person I've done without using dodge and burn or smudge :)
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    landscape942011.jpg

landscape from ma mind.

I also have tons of sketchbook pages that ive filled with studies that I have yet to scan. I just seriously have to train my eye because I really can't draw or paint from reference for shit atm
  • gibson543
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    applestudy9222011.jpg

yeah bad cherry study ftw