Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Manitoba crash site - UDK env

Replies

• Moosey_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now it feels pretty peaceful, serene, anything in particular mood you wise you're going for? I'm digging the colours.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It may be just me, but the airplane seems too clean. After a crash there would definitely be a fire, thus burn marks and such.
  • Peter H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this!

The one thing that does other me is that maybe the plane needs a bit more wear and tear? If it crashed into a rocky terrain like that would it be more damaged? also how long has it been there? would parts start to rust or have plants starting to grow in and around it? Maybe would there be more debris scattered about the place?

But overall really nice! Like Moosey_G said has a very peaceful serene atmosphere right now that works really well.
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prophecies wrote: »
    It may be just me, but the airplane seems too clean. After a crash there would definitely be a fire, thus burn marks and such.

Not necessarily. If you look at the reference, the plane is fairly clean(mainly from weather beating the metal smooth/clean of paint on a majority of the plane I'd assume).

This is the same crash, from the other side.

55f7dbdb-852f-44eb-bee5-5868357f3a5c.jpg

The plane is known as Miss Piggy. http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6ZEJ_Miss_Piggy_Churchill_MB has some pretty good shots of the plane's damage if you're looking to edit it any/need more reference Xoliul.

There's not noticeable fire damage, and it sports the same ripped out hull from the landing. I think his model is pretty accurate from a damage perspective, though I would agree that the paint should be more faded/weather stripped.
  • Simmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    This is amazing work! no crits, just had to say :) Inspiring.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    theres one really weird bent rock...fix it
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really love the feel of what you've got so far man. It's great.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks guys. I wanna take the damage a bit further, but no rust or burn marks. Planes are always aluminium, they never rust. And many times they don't burst into flames after a crash. I think I'm gonna work a bit more with the crumple texture (change the scale) and add some of those holes and punctures as decals. Also expect a model of an engine that came loose lying around.

Shep, what rock do you mean ? The one with the pronounced, long "fold" ? I guess I could tweak that a bit to look more believable.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    top image on this page behind your name, just looks odd, ive noticed it befor
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The red stripe on the plane is jarring, maybe try a yellow or blue one?
  • Peter H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think adding those holes will remedy what I was saying about it not looking beat up enough :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Even if you add holes, it'll remain looking to clean. The whole bottom should be smashed up, not just the front but between the wings and the tail too. Look at the part just below the rear door thingy. Yours is dead straight, factory clean, while the photoref looks like a used napkin. You could also use a bit more wobblyness on the rest of the main hull and on the front. And the wings are hurt more than you show.

In the reference there's also a lot more rubbish in/out of the front hole, and your engine hulls are miraculously flat and clean.

For something that's been out there for a while, the red looks too red how come it hasn't faded by the sun? It should look a lot more pink/magenta. There also doesn't seem to be any spec variation on the metal vs the paint vs dirt.

Also, add some subtle details of decay, like the birdpewp at the cockpit windows, oxidization, and moss/algae stuff. Some more wires hanging out, more general rubbish, etc.

The environment could use a bit more work too. The rocks are too uniform in size, too much like rounded blobs, and there's too many. I also think you should play with open sports with sand and dirt vs rocky parts vs plants, currently it feels too uniform/monotone.

Also, there's a pretty big error in your model: the rear door should be one hole, not two.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_E5uf0AiTz0k/SHLDakNnaHI/AAAAAAAABb8/sQi9vU23EAQ/s1440/Miss%20Piggy%20Churchill%2C%20MB%208Jun08%205571.JPG
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1385072816058589764IqIeCj
    http://www.travelphotoblog.org/RegioniPolari/HudsonBay/ca04d1126.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update. As it stands, I'm really not satisfied with the overall quality, I'm gonna revise a lot of things.

I'm gonna start off by redoing the rocks. I can't seem to get the model-with-tiling-texture approach to work (though many AAA games seem to use this...)
    So I had an attempt at sculpting them (viewport grab):

rock1wip.jpg

They would get moss and so vertexpainted on them in UDK, probably also a shadow and highlight overlay.
    Now, I like how they are more defined and less blobby than the previous, but I don't think they're quite "it" yet. I guess I'd like to get sharper, more jagged rocks, but really don't know how I'd approach that. This whole rock modeling is so ... random to me. I've been used to creating exact, defined objects for years, it's being a bit hard to adjust.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those rocks need a little color variation. They just seem like you slapped on a grey material. IMO they could use slightly harder edges as well. But they are getting there!

Also, for the spec of the rocks, I've tried a few things. The best results were with a simple noise map used for the spec. The results are rather very nice! Here is an example with your shader: (these rocks weigh in at 300 tri's each.)
    rochesscreenshot.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Daniel Doerksen
    uhm theres no material on them? its just his sculpt. anyway just a idea for you Xoliul
    you could sculpt the rocks like you are doing and then udk utilize a tileabke material with tileable normals, stacked with the normals you've created with the low poly mesh of the sculpted rocks, essentially you'll have one base tileable material for all the rocks. then have like a unique 512normal map for each rock. that might give your effect you want. anyway its just a thought
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoops, my bad. I guess it threw me off when he said he would be applying a moss vertex blend on those in UDK. I automatically assumed he would add dirt and moss with vertex blend and leave the rocks like that.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is not dead yet. I open this scene several times a month even since working on the mood and so is a lot more relaxing than other stuff I do these days.

ManitobaWIP17.jpg

Still need to get those rocks in there and so. The mood's getting there though :)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    really? I liked the rocks! In some shots you could see seams but it's minimal. I'd like to see the interior and that damage below the plane cockpit, how did you do it?
  • 3D-209
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see you're still working on it, but you might be over-thinking. I really liked your day color palette a lot, I don't think it needs to be any more moody. It's great to see a well done day shot.

I like the rocks too. You could tweak a couple of the shapes, but the values are really strong. I think the latest shot is actually a bit more generic and game-y, if you know what I mean.

Maybe I'm just weird though. I've really liked this scene from the start though, has a great feel.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well actually I want to do a dynamic day cycle, this would be one of the evening shots. The lighting is all dynamic atm and it looks pretty good, also more fun to work with since Lightmass is so slow with those speedtrees.
    I might even try to get dynamic seasons in there, going from summer to autumn to winter.

fonfa: hmm dunno man, the old rocks didn't really cut it for me or most other people, too blobby. I think the new ones will be better once in there.
    I'll show the interior and damage soon.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I started on the dynamic lighting cycle. Boy, this is fun. here's some moodshots:

ManitobaWIP19.jpg

ManitobaWIP20.jpg

ManitobaWIP21.jpg

ManitobaWIP18.jpg

The absolute worst part of the scene atm are the cloud textures for Epic's dynamic sky material. They really don't work very well for vast views like this and are way too busy, I'm not showing the really ugly views here even. I'll try to create some calmer, less busy ones myself.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I tried the whole dynamic winter blending, all my ideas work. I can have it fade over into a different season with kismet now. Gotta think if I wanna make an obvious summer/autumn difference, might not be necessary.

ManitobaWIP22.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    So damn cool. The snow looks fantastic, as do the day shots. I know what you mean about lighting and atmosphere stuff being relaxing - and your results are ace!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Wow! Looking pretty nice.

More snow on the plane!

Maybe a smoldering fire in the distant background?

What about setting it at night or early early morning?

If the treeline had some variation or decreased scale as it fades off that would be great too.

As far as the sky what about playing with some northern lights action? Might be a bit busy. But doing a subtle version of that might work.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking fantastic. Really great job bringing this into different light/time situations, and I love the variety of results you're getting from one scene.
    Really looking forward to seeing this in motion.

Any insight into how you did the snow? Is it using an up vector shader or something else?
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man! Really loving how it turned out! Keep it up! Those dynamic light cycles are looking cool!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    The day cycle looks great dude, and the snow looks freakin sweet! It's probably painfully simple but as a UDK noob i'd love to see how your material tree is set up for that :)
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    looks great but that brown/green cast in the daylight shots is just detracting from the image.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    god the snow looks Stunning!
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snow looks good, nice updates. Kismet seasons sound awesome. I still think your rocks are holding the scene back though - even when covered in snow I kind of want a few details or smaller rocks here and there to sell the scale more - it's a big plane but the uniform, lumpy rocks make it look tiny.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes, thanks for the kind words. The snow scene uses the upvector blending for the rocks, plane and ground. The plants just blend to a winter texture. Have a look at Ryan's vids: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otedqKHET1w[/ame] I didn't base myself on them since I'd written materials like that way before he made those videos, but he does a lot neater job at explaining them than I would.

Jeffro- I agree more snow on plane, the rock's snow settings don't work for the plane.
    Not sure about adding fire, I want it to have this lonely, lost glory feel, like it's way out in nowhere. The trees I need to add a few more. Northern lights i think Epic's example map had some, I should have a look at them. Dunno if those appear in the Hudson bay, but it might be interesting, would definitely add to the contrast between the motionless plane and the vibrant nature around it.

AlecMoody- what do you mean man? I'm not sure I i see a green overlay somewhere, I'm actually kinda happy with the postprocessing, took ages to get right. I do want it to have a slightly retro film feel.

rasmus- yeah the rocks, hmm. I'll be honest I really have trouble with that and don't enjoy working on them, it's so random. I am still planning to add some small rocks around though, those should be easy to do. But to my defence, they really are lumpy and smooth irl, as I think they're glacial rocks: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/61/2b/52/looking-out-one-of-miss.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked a bit on the winter atmosphere:

ManitobaWIP23.jpg

ManitobaWIP24.jpg

Particle emitters for snow and fog added, tweaked a lot of stuff. It looks way cooler in motion, but I don't have any recording software installed here, so that'll be for when i return from holiday.